Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Large Format Film RF

Large Format Film RF Forum for Large Format Rangefinders (generally 4x5 or larger format) iIncluding Linhof 4x5, Graflex 4x5, and other Large Format Rangefinders.

Old 03-30-2015   #161
kuzano

I am a patient backer. I've had plenty of camera's to shoot while waiting on this.

Those even mentioning litigation will surely be surprised when they present their case to an attorney, because they clearly do not understand Kickstarter and what they signed on for.

Furthermore, I think the intent of the fellows doing the projects are ethical and above board. I would not be surprised at how much they are personally out of pocket before we:

1) get our camera's, or

2) see the project fail.

I don't think 2 will happen. I am sure nobody has been sitting on their hands and waiting for Mr Brown to drive up with their "$100" camera.

Raid,

I think I would wait on ordering for two reasons. There may be no further production of the camera, although if the deal yield the 1500 original run which is all sold, another run will be likely.

The second reason is that, if the project ships 1500 camera's, some peoples intent will surely have changed and there will be more than a handful of Travelwides, for sale from original backers.

Old 03-30-2015   #162
mdarnton

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
I'm a They pre-sold 300 extra units in April, 2014 . . . .I can barely imagine what they are hearing from those folks.
I don't know about the other 299 but I'm patiently waiting, no panic.

Old 07-03-2015   #163
rjschell

Hooray! The camera is finally ready to be shipped.

Just submitted new address
Old 07-03-2015   #164
kuzano

Just submitted new address

Received the KS inquiry on current ship address and config of my two cameras. Responded and submitted the information this afternoon.

Old 08-15-2015   #165
zuiko85

Ben just posted update #31
They will have a 'pick up' party on Sunday, 8-23-15 in Chicago for those who live nearby. Hopefully, not too long after that they will ship the rest of the cameras to backers.

A long road for sure. Kudos for Ben and Justin for sticking with it even at considerable out of pocket expense to keep the project going.

Hopefully, by the end of September we will have the TW 90 in hand and sample photos will start to appear on this and other photo forum sites.

Old 08-28-2015   #166
zuiko85

They are now assembling cameras and putting them into boxes. Hopefully they will start shipping soon.

Old 10-03-2015   #167
dshfoto

Interesting update on Travelwide cameras and how to use with The New55 project new 4x5 instant film (read ready loads) so no film holders to carry!
http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...6&e=934eac2faf

Old 10-03-2015   #168
Pioneer

Large shipment headed out to international backers. They are hoping to get another batch shipped to US backers in the next week or two. Their update that just went out was far more upbeat than it has been in quite some time.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 10-03-2015   #169
rhl-oregon
jolly good dog Robert

Good news. Now I'll have a chance to join the line, I hope.

Robert Hill Long Tumblr

Old 10-04-2015   #170
zuiko85

After so many false alarms I still hold my breath, unwilling to have hope until I at least get a tracking number notice in my e-mail.

Old 10-27-2015   #171
rjschell

I have a tracking number and my Travelwide is on the way!

Old 10-28-2015   #172
rjschell

My camera arrived today (10/28/2015). The helical is tight, but a little sanding/polishing is improving it. I'll start with some Fuji 100 'roids. It was worth the wait.

Old 10-28-2015   #173
plummerl

My Travelwide arrived today (yay! ). I'm pretty sure that I'm the first one on my block with one, maybe Seattle!

Old 10-28-2015   #174
plummerl

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
Eagerly awaiting the arrival of mine, I'll receive a helical-less camera to mount a 65mm Super-Angulon on.

Unfortunately, the lens has been sitting idle for so long, it won't cock anymore, seems the shutter needs a clean...
Anybody that can point me to a good DIY on the 65mm Super-Angulon shutters? Much obliged!

EDIT: Larry, would you possibly know whether that frameline viewfinder come with all the cameras, including the 65mm? That would be great...
Hi Johan, according to the Ben, the 65mm will come with the same sport finder, which will cover about 75% of the frame. As he said, it is not amazingly accurate, but does give you a clue on framing.

Can't wait for daylight, my camera is calibrated and ready. I'm going to load up a pack of very expired Polaroid into my 405 back and fire away.

Old 10-28-2015   #175
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Congratulations folks.

I however have not got mine. Just when you thought all avenues that could conspire to stop delivery of the Travelwide had been exhausted, the shipping agent seems to have added another. Mine is stuck in a warehouse in Chicago for the third week running. And no response from Ben et co when I ask them to give their partner a polite kick up the rear end.

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix | Smena Symbol | Lomo'Instax
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 10-30-2015   #176
joeswe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
Congratulations folks.

I however have not got mine. Just when you thought all avenues that could conspire to stop delivery of the Travelwide had been exhausted, the shipping agent seems to have added another. Mine is stuck in a warehouse in Chicago for the third week running. And no response from Ben et co when I ask them to give their partner a polite kick up the rear end.
Ezzie, what does your tracking log say exactly? It seems normal that the tracking works only on the domestic part of the journey and is not updated after the parcel has left the US. Mine took three weeks to arrive after the last log entry ("shipment in transit to destination"). Hope your problem gets sorted out soon!

Old 10-30-2015   #177
rjschell

My camera required a little tweaking. The helical was tight, so I disassembled it and filed/sanded a few high spots where composite helical pieces joined. The 'ground glass' is too coarse, but a little work with a fine grit paste improved it immensely. I also crazy glued a 4 3/4 strip of 3/16 nylon strapping across the open end of the spring back to allow me to more easily insert a film holder. Just fine-tuning. I think that the guys did a remarkable job bringing this fine camera to us, despite the production setbacks. It goes to show that skillful fabrication takes up where computer design leaves off.

Old 10-30-2015   #178
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschell View Post
My camera required a little tweaking. The helical was tight, so I disassembled it and filed/sanded a few high spots where composite helical pieces joined. The 'ground glass' is too coarse, but a little work with a fine grit paste improved it immensely. I also crazy glued a 4 3/4 strip of 3/16 nylon strapping across the open end of the spring back to allow me to more easily insert a film holder. Just fine-tuning. I think that the guys did a remarkable job bringing this fine camera to us, despite the production setbacks. It goes to show that skillful fabrication takes up where computer design leaves off.
Mine is tight too. when you disassembled yours was there flashing causing the tightness? Did it help much the work you did on the helical?

Old 10-30-2015   #179
rjschell

Zuiko85- I don't know what you mean by flashing. The 'male' tube on the helical has 4 seams which needed smoothing. It helped immensely.

Old 10-30-2015   #180
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjschell View Post
Zuiko85- I don't know what you mean by flashing. The 'male' tube on the helical has 4 seams which needed smoothing. It helped immensely.
Flashing is where the sections of the mold join there is sometimes raised areas. Thanks for your information, I think I'm going to try that myself.

Old 10-31-2015   #181
jos58

Same here, the helical is too tight for my liking.
I am not sure about the disassembly, does it mean you have to take the screws out on the inside ?

Old 11-01-2015   #182
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jos58 View Post
Same here, the helical is too tight for my liking.
I am not sure about the disassembly, does it mean you have to take the screws out on the inside ?
On the back of the instruction sheet included with the camera there are instructions on removing the helical.
Yes, you have to remove the 4 screws, be sure you have the right screwdriver, a very small Phillips. Be careful you don't hang up the helical assembly on the interior flocking.

Old 11-01-2015   #183
besk

The helical will loosen up over time. If it can be turned at all I would leave it alone.
Get a depth of field chart and use it. You don't have to turn the helical very much if at all most of the time. This is from someone who already has a fixed lens 5X7 and a 6X9 in addition to his new Travelwide.

Old 11-01-2015   #184
jos58

Quote:
Originally Posted by besk View Post
The helical will loosen up over time. If it can be turned at all I would leave it alone.
Get a depth of field chart and use it. You don't have to turn the helical very much if at all most of the time.
Yes, it can be turned on mine so it is an option to leave it alone.
I will start using it and see if I can live with it for the time being.

Old 11-01-2015   #185
rjschell

It's a simple fix to disassemble the helical and file/sand down the 'flashing' high spots where the four segments of the helical tube join. Don't expect the problem to go away. Don't dismiss the aggravation factor of a stiff helical. I'm sure Ben & co. will solve it in subsequent production batches. As I stated before, you can design anything on a computer, but the devil is in the fabrication. Thanks to all the skilled tool & die folks out there.

Old 11-01-2015   #186
B-9
Devin Bro

None to ve had on the resale, I would have thought these would be around by now!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 11-01-2015   #187
Texsport

The concept of portability + high picture quality seems to be an impossible dream to, simply because the camera only utilizes f6.8 - 8 lenses.

A tripod would be a requirement for me to capture "keeper" images.

I'll have to pass, just not my style of shooting, which is for maximum quality. That's difficult enough without handicapping myself.

I'd much rather go Speed Graphic + Kodak Ektar 178/2.5.

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

"That girl can make a dog break his chain!" - Justified - 2015.

Old 11-01-2015   #188
Chris Bail
Regular Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
None to ve had on the resale, I would have thought these would be around by now!
I saw one for sale on APUG a couple days ago. Not sure if it's still there, though.

My Flickr

Old 11-01-2015   #189
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsport View Post
The concept of portability + high picture quality seems to be an impossible dream to, simply because the camera only utilizes f6.8 - 8 lenses.

A tripod would be a requirement for me to capture "keeper" images.

I'll have to pass, just not my style of shooting, which is for maximum quality. That's difficult enough without handicapping myself.

I'd much rather go Speed Graphic + Kodak Ektar 178/2.5.

Texsport
I'm interested in understanding your point better. Certainly diffraction is not an issue with LF lenses at f/6.8-8, and so in what way would these lenses not offer "high quality" images?

You can't possibly expect us to believe that narrow DOF is the only definition of " high quality?"

I know of few LF lenses faster than f/4.7.

Is it the focal length that's the issue? Help me understand.

~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 11-01-2015   #190
Texsport

At those f-values, your shutter speeds will be slow and make it quite difficult to hold such a light weight camera steady enough to get clear exposures.

You will need a tripod for any volume of good exposures. If you use a tripod, excellent results are possible - but why then buy a hand held camera?

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her! - Texsport

Old 11-01-2015   #191
Pioneer

A tripod is an advantage in most photography if you are concerned with maximum quality. I am pretty sure that will hold true whether we are shooting a Speed Graphic, Travelwide or Linhoff Technika.

Dan

Old 11-01-2015   #192
Rayt

I used to own a Razzle and it was ok for street and outdoor portraits handheld with 400 iso film. There are few hours before sunset when the light is not harsh but bright enough for 1/125 and f8.

Old 11-02-2015   #193
Texsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
A tripod is an advantage in most photography if you are concerned with maximum quality. I am pretty sure that will hold true whether we are shooting a Speed Graphic, Travelwide or Linhoff Technika.
Yep! Pretty much my point - I almost always use a tripod with my Speed Graphic, but can also use much faster lenses.

Texsport

Old 11-03-2015   #194
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Mine actually arrived today. Diminutive is the word. It is very likely one of the most compact and lightweight 4x5s ever. Packed it away until I get a lens for it. My only 90mm is already attached to a helical, in use on my 6x17, and I can't be bothered to swap it back and forth

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix | Smena Symbol | Lomo'Instax
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 11-03-2015   #195
Corran

I shot about 20 sheets with my TW over the weekend.

The idea that you must have a tripod for "high-quality" images is just silly. Yes, it might be nice in some situations with slower films. However, one can also pack the TW with a tiny CF tripod and still have a kit that weighs much less than most 4x5 cameras w/o any lens or tripod.

Most of the photos I took were at f/32, 1/100, with HP5+. Since there is no mirror flapping around it was easy to handhold at even slower speeds - I shot some at 1/25 and 1/50 as well.

Old 11-03-2015   #196
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
I shot about 20 sheets with my TW over the weekend.

The idea that you must have a tripod for "high-quality" images is just silly. Yes, it might be nice in some situations with slower films. However, one can also pack the TW with a tiny CF tripod and still have a kit that weighs much less than most 4x5 cameras w/o any lens or tripod.

Most of the photos I took were at f/32, 1/100, with HP5+. Since there is no mirror flapping around it was easy to handhold at even slower speeds - I shot some at 1/25 and 1/50 as well.
More power to you. Has never worked for me though I thought it did.

Dan

Old 11-09-2015   #197
rjschell

I crazy glued a cable tie to the spring clip to make it easier to insert film holders.cable tie037.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable tie037.jpg (22.6 KB, 44 views)

Old 11-13-2015   #198
rjschell

Some early tests. Fujifilm FP100-c (from the negative) and HP-5+.RBR soft re-do.jpgRBR 4x5 holder.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RBR soft re-do.jpg (52.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg RBR 4x5 holder.jpg (54.5 KB, 50 views)

Old 01-18-2016   #199
carpark

Anyone shoot more with theirs? Any opinions? Mine is sitting on the sideboard at home until I get some time to test it.

Old 01-18-2016   #200
Pioneer

Mine is getting regular workouts. I usually shoot about 6 sheets per outing, just because my Jobo 2509n reel holds that many sheets for developing.

So far I am very happy with it. In fact, I would also say that it is a terrific medium format camera with the Graphic 23 roll film back. Even though it is close to the same size it is lighter that my ARAX 60 or Pentacon 6 TL, neither of which capture 6x9.

I have never been a great fan of wide angle lenses so that has certainly created a learning curve for me. So far none of my shots are really worthy of sharing, not because of any fault with the camera or lens, only with the skill of the operator.

"Get closer you fool, closer!" Or "there is absolutely no foreground interest in this photograph!" This is what you would hear if you leaned close enough to hear my whispers while looking at my negatives.

Dan