Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

Fuji X100S bites the dust. What now?
Old 10-02-2015   #1
gilgsn

Fuji X100S bites the dust. What now?

Hello,

I guess I just need to express my frustration here...

My X100S started locking up with a white screen, every few frames sometimes. Other times, it works for a while, but invariably, the problem returns. I have tried different batteries and cards. The only way to unlock it is to remove the battery. Of course this started after a year and a half, out of warranty. I've only taken about 5K shots with it. Not only that, but I bought it from BHP, and they are closed until the 7th! So, that was about $0.26 per shot! I love the IQ but darn, I can't afford that kind of cost.

Gil.

Old 10-03-2015   #2
JP Owens

Image the frustration when a $8,000 Leica does that. And they do!

Send it in for repair. That's really all you can do.

I'm not unsympathetic, but angst over dead cameras just has to be way down on the list!

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 10-03-2015   #3
f16sunshine

Gil

Sorry to read of your troubles.
Reach out to Fuji NJ. Let them know how little use this camera has been through so far and your disappointment.
They can repair it of course. If you explain your situation they may also do so for the cost of postage.
I think they are good people and fuji is a good company. Go in smiling come out smiling

Best!

Old 10-03-2015   #4
zuikologist

f16 - sensible suggestion. Nothing to be lost in trying.

Old 10-03-2015   #5
willie_901

A cautious cleaning of the mount's lens contacts might be useful.

Usually a board failure is not intermittent.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-03-2015   #6
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
A cautious cleaning of the mount's lens contacts might be useful.
It is the X100s.

Old 10-03-2015   #7
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I wouldn't hesitate sending it in to Fuji for a look. I had to do that with an out-of-warranty X-Pro1. They fixed it with no questions and no charge. :-)

Old 10-03-2015   #8
dogberryjr
[Pithy phrase]

Is there a firmware update? It might be worth installing (or reinstalling).

Old 10-03-2015   #9
gilgsn

Hello,

Thanks guys, I'll try calling Fuji on Monday. I tried the firmware update, didn't help.. I can only take 2-3 photos between crashes now, very annoying.

Gil.

Old 10-04-2015   #10
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
It is the X100s.

Silly me.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-04-2015   #11
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

My plain X100 started doing something not as bad during my last trip; when I needed to use the electronic VF, it just got stuck on it (I had the setting in which you use the optical VF, and then, for a few seconds, the electronic VF shows you the photograph you just took). I think I had to turn it off and then back on... or reset it back to original settings, but it stopped doing it. I also noticed that the shift lever (to go back and forth between the optical and electronic VF) is particularly slow.

I may have to send mine for repair, but I'll wait for it to become a problem first. Right now, it's doing fine (knock on wood...).

Gilgsn, I think the time has come to send your camera for repair. You really have a problem there.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
Now selling Nikon RF gear

Old 10-04-2015   #12
Larry H-L

Gil, It might be worth a shot to try cleaning the battery contacts in the camera, and to leave the battery out for a long stretch of time.

Also push all the buttons firmly, I've seen some that can half stick down, causing weird things to happen.

Old 10-04-2015   #13
GaryLH

Fuji NJ is very helpful. I called them when I had a problem w/ my 27. Just explain your problem. If it needs to be sent in, they will give u an rma number.

It took less then a week to get my 27 repaired. My problem was a focus motor problem after, I think 5 months usage.

Gary

Old 10-04-2015   #14
kbg32
neo-romanticist

You can try a fresh new battery and a brand new SD card. Do you delete images from your card? Do you reformat after every download?

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 10-12-2015   #15
gilgsn

Hello,

Well, the X100S is at Fuji NJ right now.. I hope they fix it quickly, and that I don't have to shell out a huge amount of money. Hopefully it can be repaired. I miss it. Keith, I have tried a different battery and card, no luck. I even updated the firmware. I usually do not reformat every time I erase all photos, only once in a while.

Since I sold my Nikon D2X (too heavy), and my Fuji is gone, I bought an OM-D E-M5 to have a camera in the mean time. It has the crappy kit zoom on it, but it will keep me going waiting for the X100S. The camera is great and feels much sturdier than the X100S. Image quality isn't quite as good of course, but when the light is right it is hard to tell the difference sometimes. I needed a weather sealed camera, so there.. Here is an example below; first night out with it.

Dozer by Gil ., on Flickr

Gil.

Old 10-13-2015   #16
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun

Gil, how do you like shooting in 4:3 aspect ratio vs 3:2?

~Joe

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book

Old 10-13-2015   #17
f16sunshine

I faved that shot on Flickr Gil... Nice one

Old 10-13-2015   #18
bigshot

I have a DVD player that locks up like that sometimes. I go to the menu and select RESTORE TO FACTORY DEFAULTS and it fixes it. Your problem sounds like a software tangle, not hardware. Should be cheap to fix.

Old 10-13-2015   #19
Roger Hicks

Are you sure it isn't a Leica?

EVERYONE knows that these are the ONLY cameras that EVER go wrong.

Seriously, good luck. If it ain't fixable, it should never have been sold.

Is it just me or is the panting dog not as appropriate a point of focus as the little girl? Looks like he's planning on devouring her.

Cheers,

R.

Old 10-13-2015   #20
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
I faved that shot on Flickr Gil... Nice one
+1 it's a dawg's world!

The photographer chances upon a scene that fascinates him. He longs to be a part of it ... recording the scene and including within it his vicarious representative, the participating observer. --- Geoff Dyer

Gear: more than enough, film and digital

My Flickr

Old 10-19-2015   #21
gilgsn

Hello,

Fuji wants $385.20! It think it is an absolute shame to charge that much to fix a camera which at 5K shutter actuations is still practically new. If they don't lower their quote tommorrow when I bitch at them on the phone I will never buy a Fuji camera ever again.

Joe, the 4:3 aspect ratio doesn't bother me. I haven't really noticed. Actually I just had to go to my Flickr page to look at the difference, and maybe i like 3:2 a little better, but not by much. Darn, I wish you hadn't asked me, LOL. Now I'm going to wonder..

I wish the E-M5 was more like a rangefinder, with the EVF on the corner.. I didn't have enough money for a GX8, or God forbid a digital Leica.

One thing is sure, I will never again buy a digital camera without getting an extended warranty plan, which I did for the E-M5. Now I need to decide if I want them to fix my X100S or not. I love the image quality, but 5K shots at $1300+$385, that's 34 cents every time I pressed the shutter button! And who knows how long it will last this time..? I can buy a decent m4/3 lens for $385, but then I don't have the redundancy of owning two cameras. I need to talk to Fuji and weigh my options. If you guys have suggestions, I'm all ears..

Thanks Andy for the fave.

Gil.

Old 11-15-2015   #22
gilgsn

I got it back! It works, and I am $385 poorer. With the repair that makes $0.36 per shot! Needless to say, I will not be buying a Fuji camera again. It might have been a lemon, but I have heard others complaining about reliability issues. Too bad, because the image quality is great.

The E-M5 IQ is a bit below that of the X100S (with the kit lens), but I suspect it will last a good deal longer.

Gil.

Old 11-15-2015   #23
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
I got it back! It works, and I am $385 poorer. With the repair that makes $0.36 per shot! Needless to say, I will not be buying a Fuji camera again. It might have been a lemon, but I have heard others complaining about reliability issues. Too bad, because the image quality is great.

The E-M5 IQ is a bit below that of the X100S (with the kit lens), but I suspect it will last a good deal longer.

Gil.
Sorry to read of your frustration. Did Fuji give you some sort of a warranty with the repair? If I was to ever go digital the X100 is top of my list. I wish you the best of luck from here on out.

Old 11-15-2015   #24
maxmadco

My X100S developed a problem where it would produce a halo around the picture and it only had about 1500 pictures taken.
Camera was out of warranty but they fixed it for free.
Upon getting it back it worked fine but would not display the f stops at all so back it went again.
Numerous apologies from Fuji and they replaced the lens and now all is good.
They did not do a quality check I guess before sending out the first time but the service was fast, free and I would not hold this against them.

Old 11-15-2015   #25
doolittle

Quote:

Gil.
That repair bill sucks, however best to put it behind you and enjoy the camera. A good shot is worth a lot more than 36 cent, so if you get a few keepers out of it you are ahead.

fixerofshadows.blogspot.com

Old 11-15-2015   #26
gavinlg

Quote:

Gil.
Of my olympus cameras I've had an e-p1 fall apart (lens trim came off, bottom plate bent on a tripod mount with light use), an olympus e-3 that had several little tiny screws fall out of the twisty screen and bottom plate, a d300 that shat itself, and my original x100 (one of the first few) had a sticky viewfinder problem.

Of all the issues, fujifilm was by far the best and quickest to deal with. Olympus were borderline pathetic.

They all have issues.

Old 11-16-2015   #27
greyelm
Malcolm

Next week my car goes in for its annual service & MOT, this year the air con needs re-gassing so I expect a total bill of around £300. When it comes back I'll pay the bill and not turn a hair, I've done this for many years. If I had to have one of my cameras repaired I would cringe at the cost. Am I unusual?

Old 11-18-2015   #28
gilgsn

Quote:
Did Fuji give you some sort of a warranty with the repair?
I have no idea.. There was only an invoice in the box. Presumably they changed the lens too. The fact that the camera had only about 4700 shots is what pissed me off the most. For a $1300 camera, you'd expect it to last a little longer. Now it's a $1685 camera.. I hope I get a few years more out of it, but realistically, I don't think so. The X100S feels pretty flimsy, and it is. The Olympus feels so much more rugged. I still prefer the X100S for the IQ and form factor, but I wouldn't use it anymore without the E-M5 as a backup.

Gil.

Old 11-18-2015   #29
KismetSky

Just to clarify, did the in camera shutter count show 4700 or is that how many photos you've taken? My in camera shutter count showed 10k when I had less than 5000 based on file count.

Old 11-18-2015   #30
gilgsn

Quote:
Just to clarify, did the in camera shutter count show 4700 or is that how many photos you've taken? My in camera shutter count showed 10k when I had less than 5000 based on file count.
You're right, looks like I only took about 2300 photos! Which makes it even worse! That's $0.73 per photo, way more expensive than film!

Gil.

Old 11-18-2015   #31
jsrockit

Quote:
The fact that the camera had only about 4700 shots is what pissed me off the most.
The issue doesn't seem linked to shutter count though.

Did Fuji tell you what happened and why they think it happened?

Old 11-18-2015   #32
bhop73

Sorry you had issues. I'm on my second X100 series camera, but that's only because I got the T when it came out to replace my original X100.

I had some issues with my original, that being the sticky aperture blade problem that plagued early models. After it was fixed I never had another issue and I sold it to a friend that's still using it today issue free. My T hasn't given me any problems either. For reference, I got the original in Sept. 2011, and got the T in Dec. 2014.

I'd guess you did just get a lemon, but I hope you get some enjoyment out of it now. IMO it's a great little camera.