Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman

Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman Peter Dechert is best known for his Canon Rangefinder, Canon SLR, and Olympus Pen books, the latter two long out-of-print. He was a monthly columnist for many years for SHUTTERBUG magazine, and has contributed to many others. Most recently he has written about the pre-WW2 Zeiss 35mm cameras, but his interests in camera equipment and optics are many and varied. As a pro protographer and honorary life member of ASMP, Peter is also expert in using the gear! Peter Kitchingman - author of Canon Rangefinder Lens book Peter Kitchingman's 'Canon M39 Rangefinder Lenses 1939-71' book is the definitive source on these very interesting optics. His interests also go to the entire Canon Rangefinder system and beyond.

Canon S 1
Old 06-28-2015   #1
JasenArias

Canon S 1

Hello! And thank you so much for the info below and so SO much for whatever info you can offer.

Late last year my grandfather passed away. As we were cleaning out his things and moving stuff around we came across a camera, naturally being a professional photographer in the family this is something that I inherited without knowing what I was getting. Again doing research, searching the Internet, trying to find books, and contacting other places that would Service and take a look at it. KEH said that it would be best if I just hold onto it for now until I figured out exactly what it was, and referred me to your form. So here I am, hoping that I can still find some background information on this camera and get a little bit more insight into exactly what it is that I have.

All I know is that it's pretty rare, it's pretty awesome, near perfect condition that everything still works. I can even click the shutter on it and get the viewfinder two raise if I like. Its all a Little sticky, and I would love to find somebody that can clean it up so that it still works well. Even though I may never end up taking any photographs with it, depending on what everyone advises me to do.

Here is a link with the photos of the camera - http://moiraecreatives.pixieset.com/...nsrangefinder/

I also found this - http://www.cameramanuals.org/canon_p...ii_d_iv_s2.pdf Page 31 & 32 show the diff models.

It's def not the first S, but could be any of the other (3) - The lens matches closest to the 1942-45 model, BUT this camera still has a Nikkor lens vs Canon's Serenar. . . . but THIS (http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Canon/Canon-S-I.html) would explain why. Post war there were only 100 of these cameras made and were all made from leftover parts.

This is all super exciting to me. I'm hoping that it's exciting to you all as well. . . .I know it might not have much to do with the camera, but here's a photo of my grandfather around the time that he would have owned the camera. Infact, now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if I can find a photo of him with it! ( http://moiraecreatives.pixieset.com/...otos/navydays/ )

Thank you all so so so so much for any information that you can offer, I'm happy to return the favor with whatever knowledge I could possibly find.

Old 06-29-2015   #2
JasenArias

Oh, and I'm not looking to sell

Old 06-29-2015   #3
awbphotog

Wow. Beautiful camera, interesting history. Can't wait to see what other people know about it...as I'm utterly useless. Enjoy, and congrats!

Old 06-29-2015   #4
Robert Lai

It looks to be very early (still labelled Seiki Kogaku), with the pop up 50mm viewfinder, low serial number Nippon Kogaku lens (Nikon made the original lenses for Canon cameras), and original Canon lens mount.

I suggest you try to contact Peter Dechert, who wrote the book on Canon rangefinder cameras. He's the most knowledgeable person to tell you when this camera was made, possible production numbers, etc.

It looks to be rare and very early, so I wouldn't trust it to just anybody to restore it. Mr. Dechert may be able to help you there.

Old 06-29-2015   #5
JasenArias

Thanks Robert - Ill give Peter a google, unless someone knows a better way to get in touch with him?

Thanks

Old 06-29-2015   #6
JasenArias

Side question. . . .anyone know where I can get the flash shoe and the (3) screws that go with it? Maybe?

Old 06-29-2015   #7
nhchen
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasenArias View Post
Side question. . . .anyone know where I can get the flash shoe and the (3) screws that go with it? Maybe?
Maybe you could get one off a less rare Canon SII? The next model IIB already seems to use 4 screws for the accessory shoe.
regards,
nathan

Old 06-30-2015   #8
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

It is a Canon S -- Serial number range between 10520 to 12500. First Canon made with slow speeds. See page 44, Peter Dechert, "Canon Rangefinder Cameras 1933~68"

Find the shoe, you are not going to bump into one easily. Others can be made to fit, but are not indented on the rails.

Not great condition, but a cleaning would help, value in the $4k+ USD range. The missing shoe is a big drawback, unless an original is found.

Old 07-01-2015   #9
JasenArias

Thanks

Book arrived today or tomorrow

Old 07-17-2015   #10
CanonRFinder

Hi
I can confirm it is a Canon "S" and dates 1939-40?
The case is interesting as it belongs to a Canon Original or Hansa because of the large cut-out near the nose portion on the case.
The Nikkor lens was produced by Nippon-Kogaku in 1939 or there about.
Another interesting feature is the small imprint in the filter cover as it looks like a "Chrysanthemum" which is a Japanese symbol that represents longevity and rejuvenation.
I gather there are filters inside the cases and would be interested to see if they have a "Seiki" engraving either on the edge or near the edge of the filter?
These cloth cases were not made by Canon. If they are Seiki filters the cases supplied by Canon were a hard clam shape with a "Seiki" eagle on the top much like that found on the back of your camera case.
Nice camera and a shame the accessory shoe is missing as that will knock down the value of the camera.
To get a replacement would be hard to find as it would need to have the pressure grooves either side and three screw holes.
If you can have one made (nothing is impossible these days) then look into it? Cheers Peter K

Old 07-19-2015   #11
JasenArias

Thank you so much Peter!!!!

Does this embossing mean anything? Ill pull out some filters and look for markings as well.

http://moiraecreatives.pixieset.com/...TI5MzgxMjM2Mw/