Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole /

Lomo / Diana / Holga / Pinhole / Dedicated to Lomo (NOT the same as Lomography) / Diana, Holga and Pinhole and photography. Not recommended for those endlessly obsessing over the sharpest lens.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Did LOMO (by way of Cosina) Save Film Photography?
Old 04-17-2015   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender
 
CameraQuest is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: over the hills from Malibu
Posts: 5,347
Did LOMO (by way of Cosina) Save Film Photography?

Here is the BBC article from 2012
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20434270

"Did the Lomo camera save film photography?"

What the writer did not mention is that the Lomo is copy of a Cosina camera.
No Cosina camera, No Lomo camera, No Lomography.

OK, I think the BBC gave a bit too much credit to film's popularity to Lomo,
still, Lomo sold an unbelievable amount of film cameras and film!


Stephen
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2015   #2
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,362
It amuses me that a camera with all the issues that a Lomo has ... light leaks, vignetting etc not to mention using colour reversal film, can capture the imagination of all sorts of photographers and have them 'oohing' and 'ahhing' at everything the plastic box with it's crap lens can produce!

Poor old Leica produces a camera with a sensor that delaminates and provides every bit as sh!tty an image that a Lomo can ... and we complain and go wimpering back to our DSLRs and mirrorless compacts!

Go figure?
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2015   #3
tunalegs
Pretended Artist
 
tunalegs's Avatar
 
tunalegs is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Here is the BBC article from 2012
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20434270

"Did the Lomo camera save film photography?"

What the writer did not mention is that the Lomo is copy of a Cosina camera.
No Cosina camera, No Lomo camera, No Lomography.
I would wonder, would Cosina really want that sort of credit?
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #4
JoeV
Thin Air, Bright Sun
 
JoeV's Avatar
 
JoeV is offline
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA
Posts: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
It amuses me that a camera with all the issues that a Lomo has ... light leaks, vignetting etc not to mention using colour reversal film, can capture the imagination of all sorts of photographers and have them 'oohing' and 'ahhing' at everything the plastic box with it's crap lens can produce!

Poor old Leica produces a camera with a sensor that delaminates and provides every bit as sh!tty an image that a Lomo can ... and we complain and go wimpering back to our DSLRs and mirrorless compacts!

Go figure?
Well, obviously Keith that's because those who bought troublesome Leicas paid thousands, while Lomo owners spend far less, have less invested at stake.

As for Lomos, I own a few myself. My biggest complaint is lack of exposure control. No, I don't have the LC-A (the Cosina copy), they're overpriced compared to used cameras of far better quality, but the cheaper Lomos only give you two apertures and one shutter speed (I don't count bulb as a true shutter speed, despite Lomo's advertising to the contrary). The biggest thing Lomo could do to improve their cameras is a real multi-speed leaf shutter module.

Alas, my Lomos also function properly and have no light leaks, so in that regard they're pretty reliable.

~Joe
__________________
"If your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light"

Inventor of the Light Pipe Array
My Blog
My latest book
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #5
NeeZee
Registered User
 
NeeZee is offline
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
Age: 38
Posts: 554
Well, Lomo probably helped keeping film affordable and available. I just wish they wouldn't promote cross processing (a.k.a 'the film crowd's HDR') because it's a waste of beautiful slide film and I hate to watch the E-6 process dying.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #6
DominikDUK
Registered User
 
DominikDUK's Avatar
 
DominikDUK is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 934
Please people stop calling the lomographic society LOMO. Lomo makes and made great phototechnical products some of them would make Leicas look like a cheap toys.

The lomographic society acknowledges the paternity of the LOMO LC see http://www.lomography.com/magazine/9...-the-lomo-lc-a

The Cosina was more than a little inspired by the Minox Gl so the Lomographic society should credit them as well imo.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #7
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Age: 50
Posts: 4,448
"Nervous time for film photography in 90's"
This statement is stupid to me. Maybe in UK, but for where I was film was dominant through all of the 90's. My family only switched to digital in 2007, simply because of demand for more frames for less money, while film was widely available.
No, LOMO, didn't saved the film, because it was safe in 90's
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #8
gb hill
Registered User
 
gb hill's Avatar
 
gb hill is offline
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Age: 57
Posts: 5,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
It amuses me that a camera with all the issues that a Lomo has ... light leaks, vignetting etc not to mention using colour reversal film, can capture the imagination of all sorts of photographers and have them 'oohing' and 'ahhing' at everything the plastic box with it's crap lens can produce!

Poor old Leica produces a camera with a sensor that delaminates and provides every bit as sh!tty an image that a Lomo can ... and we complain and go wimpering back to our DSLRs and mirrorless compacts!

Go figure?
Keith you sound like one of those 'Leica Snobs' who think photography has to be tack sharp & perfect. Photography is, or should be fun. Light leaks, vignetting, etc is interesting. & I love my 'crappy' plastic lens on my Holga. I'm starting a project with my Holga soon. I'm going to set it on a tripod & take portraits of people on the street. My friend owns a vinyl record store & his bench will make an interesting backdrop. Who knows what the results will turn up but that's going to be the fun of it.
__________________
Greg
flickr
instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #9
burancap
Registered User
 
burancap's Avatar
 
burancap is offline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Carolina
Age: 52
Posts: 2,196
SAVE is a big word. I don't think the media has reached a level of needing salvation, yet. That said, it will be a great day when I see a new Fotomat going up in my closest Piggly Wiggly parking lot.
__________________
Jeff
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #10
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by burancap View Post
SAVE is a big word. I don't think the media has reached a level of needing salvation, yet. That said, it will be a great day when I see a new Fotomat going up in my closest Piggly Wiggly parking lot.
Quite. But over-dramatized articles by people who don't quite know what they are talking about are a regrettably but perennially successful form of click-bait.

Cheers,

R.
__________________
Go to www.rogerandfrances.eu for a whole new website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #11
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
Keith you sound like one of those 'Leica Snobs' who think photography has to be tack sharp & perfect. Photography is, or should be fun. Light leaks, vignetting, etc is interesting. & I love my 'crappy' plastic lens on my Holga. I'm starting a project with my Holga soon. I'm going to set it on a tripod & take portraits of people on the street. My friend owns a vinyl record store & his bench will make an interesting backdrop. Who knows what the results will turn up but that's going to be the fun of it.
You don't need to be a "Leica snob" to believe in conventional photographic quality: merely mainstream. Of course there is room for imperfect photography. Some of it is even quite good. But branding anyone who wants sharp pics without light leaks as a "Leica snob" is an odd form of inverse snobbery.

Also, there are plenty (me among them) who do not regard overpriced, trendy, defective-out-of-the-box cameras as "fun". A second-hand Lyubitel (I have two, one free, the other having cost me £2/$3) is from my point of view much more fun.

Cheers,

R.
__________________
Go to www.rogerandfrances.eu for a whole new website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #12
gb hill
Registered User
 
gb hill's Avatar
 
gb hill is offline
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North Carolina
Age: 57
Posts: 5,788
This is posted in today's Facebook group Film Is Not Dead. Also APUG is alive & doing well. Sean does a great job with it. We who buy film & shoot film are saving analog photography. There are many Google+ film groups & most of the shooters are young, grew bored with digital & are excited about analog photography. Lomo is only a small part of the equation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32337778
__________________
Greg
flickr
instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #13
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
This is posted in today's Facebook group Film Is Not Dead. Also APUG is alive & doing well. Sean does a great job with it. We who buy film & shoot film are saving analog photography. There are many Google+ film groups & most of the shooters are young, grew bored with digital & are excited about analog photography. Lomo is only a small part of the equation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32337778
This exactly reflects my understanding of the situation.

Cheers,

R.
__________________
Go to www.rogerandfrances.eu for a whole new website
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #14
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,933
The 1 hour photo for film processing at my local Costco has a 4 day wait. It's been like that for weeks now. The worker bees there (a great team that has done me right so many times - John, Nas, Frank, Dennis, Ashantay, Ingrid ) are frazzled with the work load.
Film is definitely not dead!
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #15
Solinar
Analog Preferred
 
Solinar's Avatar
 
Solinar is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
The 1 hour photo for film processing at my local Costco has a 4 day wait. It's been like that for weeks now. The worker bees there (a great team that has done me right so many times - John, Nas, Frank, Dennis, Ashantay, Ingrid ) are frazzled with the work load.
Film is definitely not dead!
That's good to hear. There's a dearth of competent film processing where I live. So, the remaining two camera shops in my part of town are usually pretty busy.

15 years ago, every Walgreens and CVS pharmacy had in-store processing. Even the local grocery store had in-store Fuji processing back then. Now, those operations are extinct.
__________________
- Andrew in Austin, Texas -

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Rollei 35 S, Oly 35RC, plus an XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtland Bessa II and Perkeo II - a ZI Mess Ikonta - 524/2, plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #16
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solinar View Post

15 years ago, every Walgreens and CVS pharmacy had in-store processing. Even the local grocery store had in-store Fuji processing back then. Now, those operations are extinct.
I think places like Walgreens and CVS actually were the reason in the decline of film photography. Their employees are paid really poorly and treated as such, so they could not care less about the quality of their work. Film/pictures that I got back from those places were so bad that it dissuaded you from photography. If you could crap results (through no fault of your own), why would you want to continue? Especially with digital photography becoming available.

Costco pays its employees really well, they are happy, they have pride in what they do. I think this is also reflected in the independent film processors that are left. So you get decent results, which makes you want to use more film.
Judging by their traffic, it seems that the word has got out.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2015   #17
Kent
Finally at home...
 
Kent's Avatar
 
Kent is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Age: 46
Posts: 1,584
One must not confuse "Lomo" with "Holga".
__________________
Cheers, Kent
_______
Main Cams: Leica, Sony, Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, Canon
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, Fuji, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2015   #18
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post

Costco pays its employees really well, they are happy, they have pride in what they do. I think this is also reflected in the independent film processors that are left. So you get decent results, which makes you want to use more film.
Judging by their traffic, it seems that the word has got out.
And now they are gone... i did not matter to mgmnt how many people used the film services at my local Costco, they decided that nationwide all Costcos should offer the same services. So, no more film processing at mine.

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2015   #19
Godfrey
somewhat colored
 
Godfrey's Avatar
 
Godfrey is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,791
"Did the Lomo camera save film photography?"

Likely not.

G
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2015   #20
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
"Did the Lomo camera save film photography?"

Likely not.

G
I disagree. Just got to the lomography website and see the huuuge fan base.
Their community has uploaded over 12 million photos to the site so far! That is 12 million film photos.

No-one else, neither Leica, Nikon, Zeiss etc etc has recently promoted film photography like them. And to save film they did it by not appealing to us old crusty farts, but to the young crowd that matters for the future of film.
Make it fun, cheap, hip and cool. Embrace the flaws and have fun with it!
Sounds better than pixel peeping and moaning about sensor flaws doesn't it?
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2015   #21
f16sunshine
Moderator
 
f16sunshine's Avatar
 
f16sunshine is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Age: 49
Posts: 5,601
What's great about the "archetype" lomographer is... they could not give a damn about this sort of conversation.
The passion is for photography and making images.
Did they save film? Or, did they just carve out a nice fun culture where otherwise,... there would only be angst from old Ludites counting down the end of days (of film ).

I don't remember that Photography was ever this much fun before film started to "die".
__________________
Andy
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2015   #22
thegman
Registered User
 
thegman is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 37
Posts: 3,823
Save film photography? Not as such, I don't think, but enormously increased it's appeal? Beyond doubt I think.

I know people without a clue about photography, they've heard of 'Lomo' they like aesthetic.

I must say, I like the lo-fi images, I like the simple scale focus, I even like the totally auto nature of the LC-A, no aperture, shutter speed, nothing, it just takes pictures and that's it.

The build quality is obviously dismal, I mean really, really, bad. If they made a LC-A with the build quality of a Rollei 35 or something, that would be an amazing little camera.
__________________
My Blog
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2015   #23
btgc
Registered User
 
btgc's Avatar
 
btgc is offline
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,755
What has spread popularity of film is rather internet, photo forums, sites to publish at, online buy/sell facilities and numerous generations of digital gear slashing prices of capable film stuff.

If there wouldn't be LC-A people would find another massive fad, like using Cosina inspired (or even made) SLR's or whatever else.
__________________
MyFlickr
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:03.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.