Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects

RFF Photo Projects This is the place for keeping track of the Range Finder Forum (RFF) photo projects.

similar experience with photo holiday cards
Old 02-22-2014   #201
ampguy

similar experience with photo holiday cards

First time I ever had an aspect ratio with costco online, and local pickup with photos, they've even printed half frame correctly on their Noritsus.

Last holiday season though, I made our own holiday cards with text and lettering, with the whole image 3:2. When we picked them up, daughters head was cut off, and most of the text on bottom of image.

Somehow their printers seemed to have gotten faked out by the lettering and enabled cropping inwards.

Or they just really didn't like DIY'ers making their own photo cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcr1230 View Post
OK - postcards in the mail

: begin rant against the physical world :
1. print out the first set, receive in the mail, it's what you asked for, but the cropping in not ideal. let's do this again, not that anyone will notice or care, but I will. let's try to get the original cropped image (3:2) fully on the postcard
1. You can find services to print 6x4 inch postcards, as long as you need 500+,
Moo lists postcard size as 148x105mm (3:2.12 ) or 1795x1287 pixels (3:2.15).
So if you've worked your photo to a more common size like, OMG, 3:2 you have to
re-crop. Then - you have to wonder what the "safe-area" really means, if the edges of your photo are important to the image - will they be inside or outside the cut ? can't control that though, other than warnings from the moo-bot... So I crop and add an upper and lower border so I can fit a 3:2 image...
2. So you get your cards, and then address them, take them to the post office to buy international stamps. you wait in the post office, and wait, while only one window is open, and 5 people are in line and 5 people are slowly working in back, never thinking "Our customers are waiting while we ignore them...". Then , you get to the counter , ask for the stamps, and the only ones they have are round stamps, twice the size of normal, and will cover the address on the pre-addressed cards. Well, you could go with 4 "normal" sized stamps per card, but that won't fit either. so I make do.
: end rant :

Enjoy the cards - I enjoyed all of yours.

Old 02-24-2014   #202
eyesglassy

Marc's card just hit my mailbox. Wow. I don't want to spoil anything, but I can say it's great! Thanks.

Old 03-01-2014   #203
marcr1230

Ok - time to put a bookend on this project.
The postcards have been in the mail for a week
Here's mine - it is a photo of the Cloudgate (The Bean) sculpture in Millennium Park - Chicago.
It was take Feb 1, 2014. It had just stopped snowing, the snowplow was doing circles around the base of the scuplture, tourists were out, it's kind of a fascinating place, like the distorted carnival mirrors - everyone likes to look at the reflections and distortions.
A guy came by with a "Fat Bike" and leaned it up against the Bean. The people (including me) in the reflections are just outside/behind the camera view, to me it makes the Bean look like a Snow Globe with figures inside.

I was experimenting with HDR - this is actually my first HDR image. It was created by merging 3 RAW versions of the same image at 0, +/- 2EV and then tweaking a bit to taste.

I has this printed up as a 16x24, on aluminum. It came out nicely.

Thanks for playing RFF Postcard Swap - apologies for the delay in sending out mine

Old 03-01-2014   #204
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

A very good photo to finish this round with! Well worth the wait.
Right now I am closing the camp I cook at for the season--just about 20 meals to go 'til we're done until Mat.
Which means that I am a bit busier than usual.
So, part 5 will be starting in a couple of weeks!
Watch this thread and I will start a new thread once I am ready to go for #5.
As ever, thank you all very much for making this such a fun project!
Warm regards,
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 06-17-2014   #205
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

OK, all, I forgot that I said I would post in this thread about starting round 5.
Which I have done.
SO, if you haven't seen that thread, here it is:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=142345

I will be collecting addresses for a few more days--until 21 June--so if you want to play, please join us! We are at 24 or 25 as of now and I'm hoping for a few more folks to join in.

Warm regards,
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain