Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

2011 FSU Contest Voting - 3 Separate Categories Now
Old 07-11-2011   #1
pakeha

2011 FSU Contest Voting - 3 Separate Categories Now

Still cannot vote, anyone got ideas as to whats goin on with this?

regards
CW

Old 07-17-2011   #2
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Voting on the 2011 FSU contest is open.

Stephen

Old 07-17-2011   #3
Nomad Z

Just went back for another look, and voting has started - but it says you can only vote for one image. I believe we need three votes because there are three categories of images posted in this gallery.

Old 07-17-2011   #4
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Z View Post
Just went back for another look, and voting has started - but it says you can only vote for one image. I believe we need three votes because there are three categories of images posted in this gallery.
more than 1 vote per contest
is not an option which the software makes available

Stephen

Old 07-17-2011   #5
farlymac
PF McFarland

Sooooo, I guess the only solution to that is to seperate all the photos into three new galleries, with each gallery having one vote. Which means everyone would have to resubmit all their photos. Unless it could be done at RFf HQ?

PF

Last edited by farlymac : 07-17-2011 at 17:37.

Old 07-17-2011   #6
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
Sooooo, I guess the only solution to that is to seperate all the photos into three new galleries, with each gallery having one vote. Which means everyone would have to resubmit all their photos. Unless it could be done at RFf HQ?

PF
yep,
the software does not allow me to move images into different categories

so the original 2011 contest is now the Abstract Cateory
Landscape and Transportation added

so, delete or add entries into new category as needed.
voting turned off so you can get new categories entered.

Then voting will start again.

Stephen

Old 07-17-2011   #7
Kapa

I don't believe it

ferguscunningham.com

Old 07-17-2011   #8
fidget
Lemon magnet

It's a fair solution. Many of the images in the original gallery were misnamed or were simply entered in error. This gives all an opportunity to name their entries correctly.

As we do this, make the category part of the title, this will be easy for all to see.

Dave....

Old 07-18-2011   #9
pakeha

Okay, so i had a look and the following message comes up at the top of page for transport and landscape categories. Also in these categories the images that have been moved do not show.
regards
CW

Warning: include(/home/rff/www/photopost/templates/vb3enhanced/1.tmpl) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/rff/public_html/photopost/showgallery.php on line 167

Old 07-18-2011   #10
Nomad Z

There's no need to include the category in the title if they are being moved into galleries that are category-specific.

I got the SQL error messages as well, but my photos seem to have moved okay.

Old 07-18-2011   #11
fidget
Lemon magnet

Quote:
There's no need to include the category in the title if they are being moved into galleries that are category-specific.

I got the SQL error messages as well, but my photos seem to have moved okay.
I guess that you are right, although other images will have not had a snappy title added to replace the category label.
I'm having a problem also, seems it's easy to add a category to an image already in the "abstract" gallery, but it also stays in the abstract gallery.

Dave

Old 07-18-2011   #12
Nomad Z

The title doesn't really matter.

My images certainly moved - I just checked, and only the three abstracts are left in the original gallery. for the others, I opened each image, picked Edit from the little buttons underneath it, picked the new gallery from the drop-down list, and told it to update.

Old 07-18-2011   #13
Nomad Z

There are two drop-downs. One is to change category, and the other is to copy to another category.

Old 07-18-2011   #14
fidget
Lemon magnet

Quote:
The title doesn't really matter.
Do you not think that the title might matter? How will you know which images in the default group "abstract" are really meant for that group? Not all images may be moved to their correct gallery.

Dave..

Old 07-18-2011   #15
Nomad Z

Unless I'm missing something, it's the owners of the images that have to move them. If the owner of an image doesn't know what category it belongs to, then there isn't much chance of them adding a clarification to the title. My point was actally that a desciptive title isn't needed, since the voting system can work without that. It's not like we have refer to them by name to be able to vote on them.

Old 07-18-2011   #16
fidget
Lemon magnet

Quote:
Unless I'm missing something, it's the owners of the images that have to move them. If the owner of an image doesn't know what category it belongs to, then there isn't much chance of them adding a clarification to the title. My point was actally that a desciptive title isn't needed, since the voting system can work without that. It's not like we have refer to them by name to be able to vote on them.
But how do you know that an image in the abstract gallery is meant to be there, and that it is not one that should have been moved?

As an example, assume that an entrant has not moved any of his landscape or transport entries and that none are titled with the category. He could have all images included as abstract. As I understood it, this is why the comp organiser suggested that such non-categorised images should not be voted on.
Perhaps I am missing something?

Old 07-18-2011   #17
Nomad Z

I see your point. I guess we give it a few days, and then see if there are any stragglers regarding getting images moved to the correct galleries, before deciding on whether they are eligible for voting.

Old 07-18-2011   #18
farlymac
PF McFarland

Okay, I don't know just what is going on here, but something is amiss. Went to the New Abstract gallery to change the destinations for my photos, and found multiple copies of them, and everyone elses too. Then, I decided to go to My Gallery to make the changes, as it would be easier than tracking down where all my photos were (originally grouped together, but now all over the place). On editing, I selected the Change Category, and Copy To buttons. Maybe that was too much, as when I went to look at the new category listings, I found multiple entries of my photos, but I also did not see any photos at all. No one's. So I'm going back and deselecting the Copy Photo To, and see if that clears things up.

PF

ps: Can't deselect Copy To, still finding multiple copies of files in the categories. And still can't see the photos in Transportation and Landscape galleries. Will I have to remove files, and resubmit? I might try that next.

Last edited by farlymac : 07-18-2011 at 06:21.

Old 07-18-2011   #19
Ray Settanta

I also can't see any thumbnails except in the Abstract galleries but it appears that the one photo I tried to change the category on actually did change to the new category. So that works well.
If I clicked on the title of the photo in the Transportation and Landscape galleries then the large photo will come up.

Old 07-18-2011   #20
pakeha

hahaha, a little more irony. Being the FSU contest, this is becoming a little `Y2K`
regards
CW

Old 07-18-2011   #21
Stuart John

I got my photos change to the correct galleries but no thumbnails to be seen.

Canonet QL17, Canonet 28, Zorki C

Old 07-18-2011   #22
farlymac
PF McFarland

I can confirm that clicking on the title of the photo will bring up an image. Sure would be nice to see all the thumbnails though. Hint...Hint

PF

Old 07-18-2011   #23
Stuart John

Yep I noticed that too. The images are there just no thumbnails.

Canonet QL17, Canonet 28, Zorki C

Old 07-19-2011   #24
acheyj

Oh well !. After getting my bloody Kiev to take some images, realising just how good a Zorki 1 really is then forgetting to state the camera make and forfeiting any hope of a vote ...... I give in you all win.... back to my digital G1, G11, 40d 550d etc and OM gear.

bye

ron

Old 07-19-2011   #25
Ray Settanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by acheyj View Post
Oh well !. After getting my bloody Kiev to take some images, realising just how good a Zorki 1 really is then forgetting to state the camera make and forfeiting any hope of a vote ...... I give in you all win.... back to my digital G1, G11, 40d 550d etc and OM gear.

bye

ron

I think you can still edit your data untill the gallery is closed for voting.

Old 07-19-2011   #26
acheyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Settanta View Post
I think you can still edit your data untill the gallery is closed for voting.
Thanks Ray, I'm not so grumpy now after a good nights sleep. Still like my RF and this mob.
Wont edit my stuff its really not much good, just enjoyed the fun of getting the tools out for my FSU stuff

cheers

ron

Old 07-19-2011   #27
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

OK
thumbnails are up in the 3 categories
when to close the galleries and start the voting ?

Stephen

Old 07-19-2011   #28
pakeha

Last call for moving images? If anyone is wondering how .Just bring up your image from the abstract gallery and click on the edit button..2nd from right just under the rating bar. [there are eight coloured buttons to choose from]. Then re - select the catergory..ie. transportation or landscape, then save. [ I just worked this out and perhaps a few others are not sure, particually after receiving eight e-mails informing that my images had been moved, when in fact they had`nt]...hey this is still fun
regards
CW

Old 07-19-2011   #29
fidget
Lemon magnet

Well, I also received messages telling me that my images had been moved. They were in the right categories, but some had hidden thumbnails, now they are moved (or more likely a directory move), from 8 images, only one is visible, none can be edited.
What more fun could there be?
Time to delete and try to reload. But wait, isn't it now closed?

Edit: Oh! They've gone from my gallery too, so when I deleted the empty frames from the competition gallery, they were deleted from my gallery too?

Last edited by fidget : 07-19-2011 at 23:58.

Old 07-20-2011   #30
Joao
Negativistic forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Well, I also received messages telling me that my images had been moved. They were in the right categories, ...
Same with my pictures, but they are still present in my gallery. I received a message (with a gmail warning of "possible phishing "scam) telling that my photos had beem re-classified in different categories...

Was it the spirit of a burocratic monolythic Central Party that inspired these changes ?

I will wait and see...

Joao

Old 07-20-2011   #31
fidget
Lemon magnet

I guess that moving the images and then having the gallery directory moved created some broken links.
I deleted all that was left and reloaded, they're now in the galleries (not closed yet) and went on with no fuss.

Dave...

Old 07-20-2011   #32
Kapa

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
OK
thumbnails are up in the 3 categories
when to close the galleries and start the voting ?

Stephen
Thanks Stephen for sorting this out. Can you give folk say another week to shift their pics from "Abstract"......to "Landscape" and "Transportation"? Unless you can shift the obviously un-abstract into their appropriate themes ? Thanks again for your patience and providing us with the sublimely cool RFF

P.S Cheers pakeha for the help- & from one Kiwi to another I nominate you the organiser for the 2012 FSU contest

ferguscunningham.com

Old 07-20-2011   #33
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapa View Post
Thanks Stephen for sorting this out. Can you give folk say another week to shift their pics from "Abstract"......to "Landscape" and "Transportation"? Unless you can shift the obviously un-abstract into their appropriate themes ? Thanks again for your patience and providing us with the sublimely cool RFF

P.S Cheers pakeha for the help- & from one Kiwi to another I nominate you the organiser for the 2012 FSU contest
No good deed goes unpunished.

And a big Thank You to Stephan!

Only thing is, I still can't figure out why there are so many copies of my photos in the galleries. I could understand if it had to do with my selecting the Move and Copy options at the same time, but it even happened to a photo I did nothing with. But anyway, if it was something I did, then I apologize to the Proletariat for appearing to act like a bourgeois bandwidth hog.

PF

Last edited by farlymac : 07-20-2011 at 06:16.

like it
Old 07-20-2011   #34
reagan
hey, they're only Zorkis

Thumbs up like it

I like the 3 category setup muuuuch better. Well done. Someone moved my [2]images for me .... BIG THANK YOU! I had no idea where to put them.
But ... just one problem. When I click on the FSU Photo Contest link, my laptop screen suddenly develops a light leak. Any ideas?

*grins & exits*

Old 07-22-2011   #35
fidget
Lemon magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by reagan View Post
But ... just one problem. When I click on the FSU Photo Contest link, my laptop screen suddenly develops a light leak. Any ideas?

*grins & exits*
Have you switched it off and on again? (to quote the helpdesk of many a company, after waiting on the hook for ages at premium rate, and for the umpteenth time.......argggh!)

Dave

Old 07-23-2011   #36
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

7/23/11

Voting Has Started

Old 07-23-2011   #37
pakeha

Thank you Stephen
regards

Old 07-23-2011   #38
Ray Settanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
7/23/11

Voting Has Started

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Old 07-24-2011   #39
fidget
Lemon magnet

Ok ready to vote. Let me get this correct, if it's in the wrong category, we don't vote on it? There's still a lot of images in the abstract that clearly do not belong there: even if we only count those titled with some other category.

Dave...

Old 07-24-2011   #40
pakeha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidget View Post
Ok ready to vote. Let me get this correct, if it's in the wrong category, we don't vote on it? There's still a lot of images in the abstract that clearly do not belong there: even if we only count those titled with some other category.

Dave...
i quess so, at least there is a good template for any future set ups.
A couple have indicated that they were going to leave their images where they are..so its time to vote.
You get to decide what abstract is
regards
CW