Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Coffee With Mentors > Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by Bob Rotoloni

Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by Bob Rotoloni NHS was Founded by Bob Rotoloni, author of the must have Nikon Rangefinder Camera book. Bob's updated book is expected to arrive later this year. NHS is the largest Nikon Historical Society outside of Japan. Bob is recognized as internationally as a leading Nikon expert. Joining NHS gives you the superb NHS quarterly magazine which often include Nikon information not published anywhere else in the world. If you are a serious Nikon Collector, you MUST be a NHS member. Join at www.NikonHS.org ! IMPORTANT READ THIS: CWE Forum hosts have moderation powers within their forum. Please observe copyright laws by not copying and posting their material elsewhere without permission.

SP serial numbers
Old 02-18-2013   #1
clicker

SP serial numbers

Is there a site that will show me SP serial numbers with corresponding production dates.
Thanks

Old 02-18-2013   #2
James24

No I don't think so.

Robert Rotoloni s book gives quite a lot of information.

Production was in batches starting late 1957 and continued until 1965 although it slowed up during the later years. Serial numbers run from 6200001 to 6232150 with gaps for a total production of 22,348. Cameras were mostly made in batches of 2000.

Do you want to date a particular camera? One of the more knowledgeable members here may be able to do that.

Old 02-18-2013   #3
clicker

Thanks James for your help.I am looking for the production date of # 6230186 if anyone can narrow it down.

Sp numbers
Old 02-18-2013   #4
enasniearth

Sp numbers

Sp numbers went from 6200001 to 6224xxx in production before it was stopped by Nikon f popularity .
An additional 2000- 2500 cameras were made in 64/65 to meet demand
New number sequence started at 623x xxx with gap from previous numbers .
Looks like 6000 unused numbers .
Hope this helps

Old 02-18-2013   #5
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker View Post
Thanks James for your help.I am looking for the production date of # 6230186 if anyone can narrow it down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enasniearth View Post
An additional 2000- 2500 cameras were made in 64/65 to meet demand
New number sequence started at 623x xxx with gap from previous numbers .
I've read information in Japanese that says this batch of "reissue" SPs (s/n 623xxxx) was made in 1962.

Titanium shutters were introduced from 6214xxx in conjunction with the release of the Nikon F.

Sp serial numbers
Old 02-19-2013   #6
enasniearth

Sp serial numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
I've read information in Japanese that says this batch of "reissue" SPs (s/n 623xxxx) was made in 1962.

Titanium shutters were introduced from 6214xxx in conjunction with the release of the Nikon F.

The aprox 2450 nikon sp starting at 623xxxx were two batches .
First batch of 1456 was completed in may 1962 ,
This camera is probably in this batch of numbers
Second batch of 994 completed intermittently from oct 1963 - jun 1965
As demand for professionals .
Source -- Nikon rangefinder system by Robert rotoloni

Old 02-19-2013   #7
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by enasniearth View Post
The aprox 2450 nikon sp starting at 623xxxx were two batches .
First batch of 1456 was completed in may 1962 ,
This camera is probably in this batch of numbers
Second batch of 994 completed intermittently from oct 1963 - jun 1965
As demand for professionals .
Source -- Nikon rangefinder system by Robert rotoloni
Thanks for that. The information I read in Japanese corresponds to the first and larger of Rotoloni's two 1960s "reissue" batches as completed in May 1962, and which is the batch that the OP's SP would be from.

Old 02-19-2013   #8
_tom

Okay, at precisely this point, I had a question. I bought some time ago a Nikon SP with the serial number 623173X.
According to your quotes here itīs a camera from the last batch of 994 cameras built between 1964 and 1965 to meet demand.
But this camera is equipped with a cloth shutter, old style die-cast lever advance and the film counter cover is engraved with 3
concentric rings. All features from the early Nikon SP series. I remember that I read somewhere on cameraquest
"Occasionally you will see SP's with serial numbers ranging in the 30,000 range or over. These are cameras with
replacement top plates." Is this a refurbished camera with a new top plate? Or can anyone tell me if ​​cameras were
made within the last batch which include the old features - mainly cloth shutter etc. .
I'm a little bit confused, what's wrong now.

blog: bildraum-f
mail:
_tom

Old 02-19-2013   #9
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tom View Post
Okay, at precisely this point, I had a question. I bought some time ago a Nikon SP with the serial number 623173X.
According to your quotes here itīs a camera from the last batch of 994 cameras built between 1964 and 1965 to meet demand.
But this camera is equipped with a cloth shutter, old style die-cast lever advance and the film counter cover is engraved with 3
concentric rings. All features from the early Nikon SP series. I remember that I read somewhere on cameraquest
"Occasionally you will see SP's with serial numbers ranging in the 30,000 range or over. These are cameras with
replacement top plates." Is this a refurbished camera with a new top plate? Or can anyone tell me if ​​cameras were
made within the last batch which include the old features - mainly cloth shutter etc. .
I'm a little bit confused, what's wrong now.
* There are more than a few things on the CameraQuest website I'd like to correct.
* All the SPs with 623xxxx s/n's I've personally seen (maybe 15 - 20 cameras) have had titanium shutter curtains and F parts.
* Yours does indeed sound like it got a replacement top plate