Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Contarex Gas
Old 10-11-2012   #1
maitani

Contarex Gas

Please stop me before it's too late, and talk it out of me

Old 10-11-2012   #2
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I've always wanted one too. I love old cameras in general, but can't afford any, and the Contarex has a reputation as a model that usually does not work after all these years. Service for them is said to be very expensive compared to Japanese SLRs.

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Like My Work on Facebook

Old 10-11-2012   #3
maitani

thanks Chris,

I saw some jaw dropping wet prints at a friends place, he swears by the contarex lenses, he's convinced they're even better than leitz, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

although I find they are similar to contax rangefinder lenses build and quality wise, but they are just beautiful.

Old 10-11-2012   #4
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maitani View Post
thanks Chris,

I saw some jaw dropping wet prints at a friends place, he swears by the contarex lenses, he's convinced they're even better than leitz, I'll take it with a grain of salt.

although I find they are similar to contax rangefinder lenses build and quality wise, but they are just beautiful.
Everything I have read about them says they were better than Leica lenses in the 1960s. Modern ASPH leica lenses may be better, but they're modern computer-designed lenses. That said, with 35mm gear, there is a real limit to the quality you'll actually get because the films are less sharp than the lenses, especially with higher speed films like Tri-X that most of us prefer.

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Like My Work on Facebook

Old 10-11-2012   #5
Vickko

The Contarex is a joy to shoot, but has unique user ergonomics as well as unique issues for service.

The models are different (of course). I find the Bullseye too bulky, and loved the sleekness of the later models. The EE is a joy to use.

The lenses are great too.

And heavy.

I'd say get one, but pay wisely (i.e. since you are only wanting to try one out, don't pay crazy collector prices). You'll recover your investment although film camera prices are soft.

35mm (film and digital)
Film only for 6x6cm, 6x9cm & 4x5in
BW darkroom to 4x5in

Old 10-11-2012   #6
micromontenegro

I think the C Rex experience is very worthwhile. I enjoyed it very much, and regret selling mine.

Old 10-11-2012   #7
furcafe

Naaah, do it. You only live once.

The lenses are awesome. As Chriscrawfordphoto alluded to, they are among the best ever made, particularly for their time period (see Erwin Puts here: http://www.imx.nl/photo/zeiss/zeiss/page67.html) & are obviously capable of producing great results today (which accounts for their current astronomical prices, probably driven by mirrorless users).

The bodies are a little quirky (though some of the quirks, like controlling aperture via a dial on the body, were actually ahead of their time), but easy to use & the interchangeable magazine feature can be handy. The main thing Zeiss Ikon lagged on was the lack of an automatic aperture diaphragm, which means no depth of field preview (after the shutter is released, the aperture diaphragm stays at the chosen aperture & opens up only when the film is advanced & the shutter wound). My favorite models are the most stripped down, the Special & Professional.

Quote:
Please stop me before it's too late, and talk it out of me
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 10-11-2012   #8
Contarama

Three years ago I saw a collection of about 9 Contarex lenses (including the 85 Sonnar in black as were most of the other lenses) go for $1100 on the bay. Someone was very very lucky that day. The Contarex is one of the cameras I would love to have besides my F2. I have had several Contaflexes in my time and even the lowly Contaflexes are absolutely incredible. I have seen where some folks have converted the lenses to F mount fixed aperture rigs.

Art is the ability to make something...even if it is a big mess...

Old 10-11-2012   #9
raid
Dad Photographer

I have been using a Contarex Bullseye (first version) with a 50/2 Planar. The colors are awesome in the images, and the sharpness is also very high. You may need to first work out your "wrist muscles" and exercise your back so that the weight is manageable!

I would stick to this combo: camera+50/2. The 35mm is either slow or very costly. Take your pick.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Old 10-11-2012   #10
mbisc
Silver Halide User

The Contarex series is awesome, and I will not dispute that, so go for it if you have the cash and can get your hand on a camera is good shape.

As a (slightly) alternative view, you may also want to consider the Contax/Yashica line. Some of the earlier "Made in Germany," AE-series lenses are in fact the identical lens formula as the Contarex lenses, although not all of the Contarex lenses are available in C/Y mount. The "plus" on that choice are the more modern camera bodies and the (generally) lower prices for the lenses, and the fact that Zeiss still repairs/services these lenses.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Life is too short for cheap film

Flickr
----------------------------------------------------------------

Old 10-12-2012   #11
maitani

Thanks for all the great input, I'll have my eyes open on some of the flea markets for thos contarex gems (I saw they command hyper expensive collectors prices nowdays.. thought they were cheaper...)

so, thanks for bringing me back to my senses....

...I just fell for an irresistible vintage F (never had a roll thru...) pretty speechless..

have been waiting for this forever

Old 10-12-2012   #12
raid
Dad Photographer

Enjoy your F. It looks beautiful.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Old 10-12-2012   #13
Vickko

wow wow wow, beautiful black F.

35mm (film and digital)
Film only for 6x6cm, 6x9cm & 4x5in
BW darkroom to 4x5in

Old 10-12-2012   #14
furcafe

Nice, congrats.

My only black F is the complete opposite (used by a photojournalist in Detroit & looks the part), but beautiful in its own way.

Quote:
Thanks for all the great input, I'll have my eyes open on some of the flea markets for thos contarex gems (I saw they command hyper expensive collectors prices nowdays.. thought they were cheaper...)

so, thanks for bringing me back to my senses....

...I just fell for an irresistible vintage F (never had a roll thru...) pretty speechless..

have been waiting for this forever

Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 10-12-2012   #15
unixrevolution

The Contarex looks lovely...I'd be willing to buy one, but I haven't got that kind of money just sitting around. I'd be better served putting that into 4x5 or 8x10 lenses, personally.

One 35mm SLR I do have GAS for is an Exakta.

"Cameras are for looking through, not looking at."