Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

Old 03-29-2012   #51
agianelo

Watch how he holds the camera. I always have to show people how to hold a manual focus camera. And trying to explain f-stops!

What a great bit of fun to laugh at myself for loving my Leicas.

Old 03-29-2012   #52
SteveM(PA)
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippiejee View Post
Only Americans (often so literal) might not recognize this immediately as humor. In Europe, this is how we're funny, without a laugh track, and always tongue in cheek.

'Splain me, Loosey!

Dude's videos are totally real. He has mad Jay-Z cash, and isn't caught in our ponderous RFF/DP bubble. (I think the bubble is fun though.)
Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K, Leica IIIf rdst, Nikon S, Sony RX100, OM1, Rebel T3 (with OM glass)
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 03-29-2012   #53
elmer3.5

"i´m very disappointed about manual focus...i´ll get used to it...eventually" hahahahha

Great!

m9 + sonnar zm 50
m3 + rollei sonnar 40
g1 + planar 45

Old 03-29-2012   #54
jsolanzo

lol @ shooting @ f/1 will cause an all white picture and f/16 will cause too dark of a picture. Also, even numbers are perfect settings for aperture ahaha.

Love the videos.

Old 03-29-2012   #55
iBay
Insoo Bay

Like him, like the video. He is a serious joker. Good one.

Old 03-29-2012   #56
Godfrey
wonderment

i thought it was a pretty good review.

He asked the dealer "what is the best camera?" and bought it. He can afford it, obviously. I know tons of people like that.

Old 03-29-2012   #57
matteiflex

Many a true word spoken in jest, my freinds. Enjoyed the the first reveiw, not so much the second.

Old 03-29-2012   #58
robklurfield
eclipse

Leica makes very good cameras. I was so impressed by the M9-P and Noctilux combination that I went back to the store and bought several more Leica cameras. I think they will make me a better photographer.

One thing that I found disappointing is that the Leica M8 and Leica M9-P cameras and Noctilux and Elmarit lenses do not have self-cleaning sensors. I asked a friend of mine, a fellow dentist, what technique he prefers for cleaning his sensors. He showed me this very useful technique. It is very automatic. I think it will make me a better photographer.

You simply place the camera into an automatic dishwasher, preferably from a manufacturer such as Bosch. (The kind salesman at the photographic store told me that it's best not mix products from Germany with those from other countries.) Then, and this part is very important, especially, if like me, you want to be a better photographer; using the wash cycle selector lever, button or knob on your German dishwasher, very carefully set the cycle to number 2. That seems to work best.

My other disappointment with the additional Leica cameras that I purchased (by the way, they must be very good owing to the fact that they are quite expensive ... even these very old ones for some reason; but I think they will make me a better photographer) is that they do not seem to have sensors that can be cleaned. However, my friend still said they could benefit somehow from a good cleaning, so I've also carefully loaded them into the nice Robert Bosch dishwasher.

Okay, then, now we're ready to clean our sensor. Don't forget: setting no. 2 works best.

blog: http://hemi-sphericalaberration.blogspot.com/

google +: gplus.to/robklurfield

"I'm sure it wouldn't interest anybody
outside of a small circle of friends." - Phil Ochs

"His photos are saturated with obviousness, mental inertia, clichés and bad jokes." -http://www.500letters.org/form_15.php

I point. I shoot. sometimes, I focus first.

Old 03-29-2012   #59
Rayt

The video was posted only a few days ago but the F1 Noctilux had been unavailable for years. It seems unreal he could have walked into a dealer and picked one up with a new latest M9. I just can't believe this is real but I do know such impulsive and wealthy people.

Old 03-29-2012   #60
Archiver

Good point about the f1 Noctilux being unavailable for years, although I have seen a last-generation 35mm Summilux sitting new in a shop only a few weeks ago. Not quite the same thing, but maybe they had the stock lying around...

I truly hope this is a joke video. It has to be. The droll, deadpan delivery is so right. And shame on the salespeople for selling a complete noob a manual focus rangefinder if this is real.

Old 03-29-2012   #61
Lax Jought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
And shame on the salespeople for selling a complete noob a manual focus rangefinder if this is real.
Customer is always right!

Especially if they have the money and are insisting on 'the best camera'.

Old 03-29-2012   #62
Godfrey
wonderment

It's not the salesperson's job to evaluate the customer and determine if they have the experience and understanding to 'deserve' a $20,000 camera. The job is to sell cameras.

A similar situation about two dozen years ago. I was very tight with the local BMW Motorcycle dealership. One day I was there visiting and a well dressed, fit looking guy in his early forties came in and said he wanted to buy a new BMW S model. All his friends had advised him that it was the right bike for him. The salesman showed it to him, he liked it, seemed knowledgeable enough, paid cash on the spot. Bought a helmet, leather jacket and gloves, etc. The bike he purchased was ready to go. He hopped on, started it, and rolled out of the shop. Everyone smiled ... what an easy sale!

Ten minutes later, sirens and an ambulance rush by. Twenty after that, a tow truck returned with the bashed up bike. "What happened?" said the salesman, who was genuinely upset.

"Guy bought the bike after reading all about them, studying how they operated, etc. But he'd never ridden one before, he didn't know how to make it go around a corner, so when road came to a T, he tossed it. Not badly hurt, other than his pride. He's off to the hospital for some bandages," said the tow truck driver.

These people exist. They are responsible for their own actions.

Old 03-29-2012   #63
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
It's not the salesperson's job to evaluate the customer and determine if they have the experience and understanding to 'deserve' a $20,000 camera. The job is to sell cameras.

A similar situation about two dozen years ago. I was very tight with the local BMW Motorcycle dealership. One day I was there visiting and a well dressed, fit looking guy in his early forties came in and said he wanted to buy a new BMW S model. All his friends had advised him that it was the right bike for him. The salesman showed it to him, he liked it, seemed knowledgeable enough, paid cash on the spot. Bought a helmet, leather jacket and gloves, etc. The bike he purchased was ready to go. He hopped on, started it, and rolled out of the shop. Everyone smiled ... what an easy sale!

Ten minutes later, sirens and an ambulance rush by. Twenty after that, a tow truck returned with the bashed up bike. "What happened?" said the salesman, who was genuinely upset.

"Guy bought the bike after reading all about them, studying how they operated, etc. But he'd never ridden one before, he didn't know how to make it go around a corner, so when road came to a T, he tossed it. Not badly hurt, other than his pride. He's off to the hospital for some bandages," said the tow truck driver.

These people exist. They are responsible for their own actions.

More on motorcycles;

I saw a guy buy an RD350 Yamaha two stroke back in the seventies with absolutely no knowledge of how peaky these things were and unaware that they needed plenty of revs to get them moving. He stalled it numerous times attempting to get it away from the kurb outside the shop much to the salesman's amusement.

"Give it plenty of revs before you let the clutch out mate!"

Which he did .... somewhere around redline and then let the clutch go! The bike took off with this poor sod flailing behind the handlebars hanging on for dear life and climbed over a Volkswagon Beetle parked about five meters away!

flickr ... currently all images from the DP2M, DP3M and SD1M

Old 03-29-2012   #64
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
More on motorcycles;

I saw a guy buy an RD350 Yamaha two stroke back in the seventies with absolutely no knowledge of how peaky these things were and unaware that they needed plenty of revs to get them moving. He stalled it numerous times attempting to get it away from the kurb outside the shop much to the salesman's amusement.

"Give it plenty of revs before you let the clutch out mate!"

Which he did .... somewhere around redline and then let the clutch go! The bike took off with this poor sod flailing behind the handlebars hanging on for dear life and climbed over a Volkswagon Beetle parked about five meters away!
i think that was my brother.. !

Old 03-29-2012   #65
chodgson45
Just a GI Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lax Jought View Post
Customer is always right!

Especially if they have the money and are insisting on 'the best camera'.
I can't tell you how many T3i's I have sold because the customer wanted it.

Even if they just want to take "pictures of my cats" and don't need anything more than a simple point and shoot. They never listen to me when I try and save them a few hundred dollars....
Kiev 2 (1951 SN) + J8 (1950 SN)50mm
Moskva 2 (1953 SN) (Rangefinder out)
Nikkormat FTn

Old 03-30-2012   #66
Lax Jought

lol @ the stories with the motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodgson45 View Post
Even if they just want to take "pictures of my cats" and don't need anything more than a simple point and shoot.
hah well, to be completely fair I have seen some amazing high end pet/animal photography.

'The French Cat' by Rachel McKenna, she takes cat photos with what looks like a Hasselblad. Great photography there.

Also 'Curious Cats' by Magnum photographer Mitsuaki Iwago.

Old 04-08-2012   #67
konicaman
konicaman

That guy in the video is just plain stupid; if the autofocus is not working the camera should of course be returned to the store for repair

Old 04-08-2012   #68
Rob-F
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
It's a spoof. It's very well done. The camera on the bed. The dead pan delivery. The use of the term noctilux instead of boasting of the f1 etc is the give away that he's an insider. Plus the mere fact he made the video at all. Bit disappointed it's manual focus! It's directed at us.
Yes, I'm quite sure it's a gag. He didn't even sound excited about it. It had a tone of "well, it's OK I guess."

Yeah, Right.

--Variously attributed to Moms Maybley, Mark Twain, etc.

Old 04-08-2012   #69
GaryLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
Yeah, I wish my sales guys were that good.
+1. U and me both

Old 04-09-2012   #70
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Of course the job is to sell cameras; but I believe they can sell cameras and give the customer something that will match their needs, and build a relationship that leads to them returning to the store again and again. That's been my experience in a former life in computer and electronics retail.

I don't think it's about whether the customer 'deserves' the $20,000 camera; it's whether the $20,000 camera matches their needs, experience, willingness to learn and a slew of other factors. If that guy is real, I can't imagine him being that impressed with the dealer who sold him a super expensive camera he can barely operate.

Then there is, however, the matter of whether you really WANT a customer to return, or if he seems like he will be a pain in the backside. The people who throw away money at things of which they have neither knowledge nor predisposition to learn; well, even I'd be tempted to take the money.

Old 04-14-2012   #71
Richard G

A THIRD video, with pictures! He's actually a very good photographer. He's managed to convey a sense of impending leaves on a bare tree. That's pretty clever. And his pictures with the Noctilux are neither too bright, nor blurred, keeping the subject at a distance of course. And no, he's not some reckless rich dentist, or at least seems not to be from his living circumstances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=hnviDnpShU8

Old 04-14-2012   #72
Gary Sandhu

Love the pics of his neighborhood

Old 04-16-2012   #73
myM8yogi

Thanks for that. The focus direction information was invaluable.

I hope to see some tasteless but very expensive jewellery on those anonymous hands in the next review video. The plain wedding band was not in-character. I'm thinking more like some kind of nouveau riche bling ring with heavy chunky yellow gold and lots of precious stones.

Old 04-16-2012   #74
Richard G

I think the second video would be a great introductory video for teaching the elements of photography. Maybe it would work even without owning a Noctilux. Small numbers on that aperture ring, picture too bright; large number and the pictures could be too dark. The puzzling gap between f11 and f16 could then introduce the notion of the multiplication factor of the square root of 2. His approach to satire is really quite deep.

Old 04-16-2012   #75
Kent
Finally at home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Oh yes they do... remember, to some spending $20,000 is like us spending $50.
I have been trying to get to that level for about 20 years now. Completely unsuccessful!

As a friend once said: "I am at my second million, the first one didn't work."
Main Lenses: Fuji, Voigtländer, Leica, Nikkor, Pentax, Sigma etc.
Click me...