Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Coffee With Mentors > Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by Bob Rotoloni

Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by Bob Rotoloni NHS was Founded by Bob Rotoloni, author of the must have Nikon Rangefinder Camera book. Bob's updated book is expected to arrive later this year. NHS is the largest Nikon Historical Society outside of Japan. Bob is recognized as internationally as a leading Nikon expert. Joining NHS gives you the superb NHS quarterly magazine which often include Nikon information not published anywhere else in the world. If you are a serious Nikon Collector, you MUST be a NHS member. Join at www.NikonHS.org ! IMPORTANT READ THIS: CWE Forum hosts have moderation powers within their forum. Please observe copyright laws by not copying and posting their material elsewhere without permission.

Great Example of what Poor Ebay Headings get you
Old 03-21-2012   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Great Example of what Poor Ebay Headings get you

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300677499237

hmm. do you think RANGEFINDER might have helped in the title to get more bids ?

Stephen

Old 03-21-2012   #2
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

Ouch, what a key descriptor to omit. C'est la Guerre.

Bob

Old 03-21-2012   #3
bobkonos

I don't know, what are unsynched M cameras going for these days? He did get $2650 in one bid.

Old 03-21-2012   #4
Teuthida
-

$2650? Not bad.

or this
Old 03-24-2012   #5
sp9107

or this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280843342021...84.m1439.l2649

or this
Old 03-24-2012   #6
sp9107

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...vip=true&rt=nc

Old 03-24-2012   #7
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
$2650? Not bad.
except that title cost him at least a grand.
probably more.

Stephen

Old 03-24-2012   #8
keytarjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp9107 View Post
Dying.....

Still waiting for that day when I walk into a garage sale or thrift store and there's a Nikon SP sitting there with a little $5 price tag on it...

Old 03-24-2012   #9
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
that's hilarious.

that's probably an Orion adapter mounted on the 50/2
the adapter is worth at least $1500

Stephen

orion coupler
Old 03-24-2012   #10
sp9107

orion coupler

it is the nikon version!

Old 03-24-2012   #11
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

This is one I won...here
pf

Old 03-24-2012   #12
johannielscom
500C/M & 532/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
except that title cost him at least a grand.
probably more.

Stephen
A seller to watch, then!

My photography & gear articles: www.johanniels.com

Old 03-24-2012   #13
johannielscom
500C/M & 532/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon_sam View Post
This is one I won...here
I'd protest the shipping charges. Shipping is 130% of the sales price like this! That's grossly unbalanced to the selling price!

My photography & gear articles: www.johanniels.com

Old 03-24-2012   #14
I Love Film
-

I'm sure he doesn't know what a rangefinder is. This is the kind of person that makes it worthwhile to bid on eBay.

A good SEARCHER would have found it by carefully looking at ANYTHING called "Nippon Kogaku".

Old 03-24-2012   #15
Steve M.

Did anyone look at the items 'ol mopsy has sold? He's not so uninformed and crazy as we think. He's crazy like a fox. I have to admit though, that title is a really, really bad one.

seller of the M
Old 03-24-2012   #16
sp9107

seller of the M

Seller knows exactly what the camera was. he just decided to list it that way, ebay now gives you 80 characters for a title, sometimes it just doesn't work. the Nikon for $102, i was out bid at $100, then the seller ended the listing by selling to the
(fast talking high bidder). i offered the seller $450 for it, still sold it to the the guy for $102.50,, i just do not get it sometimes,

Old 03-24-2012   #17
Steve M.

Wow, you offered the seller 4 times the amount and he didn't take it. I would have, and to heck w/ eBay's picayune rules. But eBay has a way of punishing sellers that don't follow through on sales, so maybe he figured eBay's potential problems dwarf a $450 sale. Having dealt w/ their "people" before, I understand.

Crazy like a fox... no, he did not overlook rangefinder name.
Old 03-24-2012   #18
kuzano

Crazy like a fox... no, he did not overlook rangefinder name.

Quote:
Seller knows exactly what the camera was. he just decided to list it that way, ebay now gives you 80 characters for a title, sometimes it just doesn't work. the Nikon for $102, i was out bid at $100, then the seller ended the listing by selling to the
(fast talking high bidder). i offered the seller $450 for it, still sold it to the the guy for $102.50,, i just do not get it sometimes,
I agree with SP9107... there are times when the character limitation simply does not allow for all the information you would like to think adds to a description. Certain things are clear on this listing.

1) The seller used as much info in the title as he thought would find the right buyer.
2) He found the right buyer at HIS price... he set his price at the level he thought he could get, or that he needed to make the deal work for him.
3) Range finder did NOT fit the title limitations, and he felt it was more valuable to get other more important info into the title.
4) I agree with his logic as I do not place the fact that it is a range finder as any more important than the fact that it would have been more important to me to have noted that it was a limited production Nikon with only 1643 produced from 8-1949 to 12-1950 (the M model).
5) I suggest that the seller knew the nature of interest in this camera would be from people who would instantly count two windows on the front and have that AHAA! moment Wow it's a rangefinder, let me check my bank account and the balance on my home equity loan account.
6) The man got his money. His own price was the final bid. He knew that you would have to advertise more than just Nikon RangeFinder to get into the price ballpark. Very few Nikon rangefinders approach this price point without other special aspects, like the limited production, etc.

NO, I don't think he left any money on the table by not using the words rangefinder. When are we going to break through this illusion that there is something mythically worship inducing for this focus system?

Please??

Old 03-25-2012   #19
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
I agree with SP9107... there are times when the character limitation simply does not allow for all the information you would like to think adds to a description. Certain things are clear on this listing.

"Nikon rangefinder 50mm f/2 lens w/Orion adapter" would have been under the 80 character limit.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Point taken but not convincing...
Old 03-25-2012   #20
kuzano

Point taken but not convincing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel M.A. View Post
"Nikon rangefinder 50mm f/2 lens w/Orion adapter" would have been under the 80 character limit.
"Nikon M one of 1643 produced in 1949 50mm f/2 lens w/Orion adaptor" would have fit under the character limit and been a more productive title. I just believe the whole "rangefinder" issue to be less important than other information implying more value.

However all this is secondary to the fact that the seller got the price he wanted. He stated that desired price when he paid more for his listing to use a high starting price.

It should also be noted that Mopsy has over 14 years of eBay activity and 1500 transactions. I doubt if few on this forum could show him a better way to title a listing, considering what I saw by wandering through his feedback. I'd be grinning widely at the suggestions posted in this thread.

Old 03-25-2012   #21
VinceC

I think the idea behind the original post is that the majority of people looking for Nikon RF gear on EBay start their search by typing "nikon rangefinder" and then desregarding all those hunting/outdoor apparatuses that also pop up.

Nikon S2, S3, S3-2000, SP, SP-2005 / Kiev 2a

Biogon 21/4.5; CV 21/4; CV 25/4; CV 85/3.5; the following Nikkors: 2.8cm/3.5; 3.5cm/1.8 (1956 and 2005 versions); 5cm/1.4; 8.5cm/2; 10.5cm/2.5; 13.5cm/3.5
Soviet lenses: Orion 28/6; Jupiter-12 35/2.8; Helios-103 50/1.8; Jupiter-8 50/2

Old 03-25-2012   #22
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
"Nikon M one of 1643 produced in 1949 50mm f/2 lens w/Orion adaptor" would have fit under the character limit and been a more productive title. I just believe the whole "rangefinder" issue to be less important than other information implying more value.

However all this is secondary to the fact that the seller got the price he wanted. He stated that desired price when he paid more for his listing to use a high starting price.

It should also be noted that Mopsy has over 14 years of eBay activity and 1500 transactions. I doubt if few on this forum could show him a better way to title a listing, considering what I saw by wandering through his feedback. I'd be grinning widely at the suggestions posted in this thread.
it really funny to read your insisting how right you are
about an ebay heading that undoubtedly cost the seller money
grinning? hardly
LOL

Stephen

Old 03-25-2012   #23
Bill Kapinski

I have also had luck with hand tools by mis-spelling words, instead of Lie-Nielsen, I would look under Lie-Neilsen or other variations
Hasselblad
Nikon

Old 03-26-2012   #24
S.H.
Picture taker

The price for the Orion ... well that was a good find for the lucky guy who bought it.

I had a good deal myself for Christmas on a "Hasselblad 100f" : 286$ with shipping from the US, I saw junked 'Blads selling for more than that. Slow speed sticking a bit, back is stuck, chrome not perfect but with a clean lens and shutter looks good too! Costly typo for the seller, he could have sold it for 100-200$ more.

Old 03-26-2012   #25
efix
RF user by conviction

This reminds me of an auction I once spotted that labeled a Leica M as an SLR. Ouch.
At least the rest of the description seemed halfway correct.
"In my humble estimate, there’s a huge lack of appreciation out there for the wonderful aesthetic look that film of all types can lend to an image. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to count in a world that is rushing nowhere like a lot of headless chickens." – Jonathan Eastland
facebook | twitter | flickr! | 500px