Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Coffee With Mentors > Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman

Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman Peter Dechert is best known for his Canon Rangefinder, Canon SLR, and Olympus Pen books, the latter two long out-of-print. He was a monthly columnist for many years for SHUTTERBUG magazine, and has contributed to many others. Most recently he has written about the pre-WW2 Zeiss 35mm cameras, but his interests in camera equipment and optics are many and varied. As a pro protographer and honorary life member of ASMP, Peter is also expert in using the gear! Peter Kitchingman - author of Canon Rangefinder Lens book Peter Kitchingman's 'Canon M39 Rangefinder Lenses 1939-71' book is the definitive source on these very interesting optics. His interests also go to the entire Canon Rangefinder system and beyond.

Which Canon RF camera to use?
Old 08-30-2007   #1
pdek
"Dekkam" as was

Which Canon RF camera to use?

Collecting isn't everything. Many of us USE our cameras. Which Canon rangefinder cameras do you prefer when it comes to actually making pictures?
If I were to choose, it would probably be from one of these:

Canon 7sZ (for the back-loading afficianado)
Canon IVSB2 (for the guy who likes bottom-loading)
Canon VI-T (for whoever enjoys trigger-winding)
Canon VI-L (for a camera that has most of the 7sZ attributes but is smaller)
Canon IIB (for the person who really digs antique user-cameras)

But what do YOU think?
Peter

Old 08-30-2007   #2
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I will go with the IVSb2 and its kin in the "improved " bottomloader family.

Old 08-30-2007   #3
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

the P (I carry at least one with me everywhere... rain or shine).

Form follows function.

Simple, elegant, precise, indestructible.

---
My RFF Gallery | My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 08-30-2007   #4
Xmas

They sold a lot of Ps.

Noel

Old 08-30-2007   #5
dexdog
sans bokeh

My favorite user is the P, followed by the Canon 7sZ

Old 08-30-2007   #6
jmilkins
Digited User

excellent - just what i have been wondering. I'll be watching this thread for sure. thanks.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 08-30-2007   #7
Bingley

I've got both a P and 7, and use them both. My P is definitely a "user" model (a number of dings and dents on the outisde, courtesy of a former owner), and is just back from the DAG hospital, with a repaired optic that had gotten loose inside the rangefinder. Don did a great job.

I tend to use the P primarily w/ a 50, or a 28 (add a brightline mini-finder). If I think I'm going to be using my 35 a good deal (e.g., for landscapes), I'll take the 7 b/c I can see the framelines better.

M2, M4-2, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
XD-11, X700, and assorted MD Rokkor lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 08-30-2007   #8
Steve Bellayr

I vote for the P also.

Old 08-30-2007   #9
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

I've done a lot of shooting with both a P and a VI-T (still have the latter) but in this day and age, I think it's hard to take a rangefinder camera seriously for routine use if it doesn't have a projected-frame finder with a decent range of framelines.

That narrows the Canon range down in one fell swoop to the 7-series. I don't think there are any real usability differences among the 7, 7s, and 7sZ (other than the 7 model's lack of an accessory shoe, and that's only a factor for some users.)

Old 08-30-2007   #10
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

I use a SBOOI 50mm finder on my Canon IIF when using a 50mm lens and a 35mm VF on the other IIF with the 35mm lens.
these have squinty finders that are now really bothering my aging eyes.
but I still like the feel and size of these bottomloaders.

Old 08-30-2007   #11
Bill58
Native Texan

If you have a P, why would you want anything else? It does everything the unmetered Leica Ms do, except easier to load AND it goes for about $300!

Old 08-30-2007   #12
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw
I think it's hard to take a rangefinder camera seriously for routine use if it doesn't have a projected-frame finder with a decent range of framelines.
Well, with an RF I currently don't use anything except a 35 or a 50.. so the range isn't as big a deal.

Projected framelines are nice. But I've never had an issue with the ones etched into the P. And the 1:1 viewfinder is a clincher for me.

But that's just me and the way i shoot.

---
My RFF Gallery | My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 08-30-2007   #13
LeicaTom
Watch that step!

IIF2 is the Cadillac of "knob top" bottom loaders.......with a build quality equal to or slightly above the Leica IIIF of the same period

Matched up with the F1.5 50mm lens it`s a real working tool as much as it`s a collectors item

It does takes some getting used to the single view eyepiece (after so many years using a Leica IIIC/IIIF) but the x1 and x1.5 magnification in the viewfinder is really helpful and the rangefinder patch seems much brighter than the Leica`s
(and there`s a built in contrast enhancer in the view finder as well)
with Leica you have to buy that crazy $50+ orange rangefinder filter to give you the same effect

I`ll be shooting with one the FIRST time this weekend, but I`m sure the results will be great, I`ll post some samples at my IIF2 thread

Tom

WW 2 Leica Historian and Rare Military Leica Camera and Lens Consultant Services (for Civilian and Military Engraved Leica IIIC "Stepper" and IIIC K models made between 1940 to 1946)

I'm a Retro PinUp Photographer using vintage M39/LTM Leica/ CZJ Sonnar/ Nippon Kogaku and Canon lenses with a Leica M8 Digital
I'm also a Vintage Volkswagen Collector, Driver and Enthusiast ~ I own a 1957 "Oval Window" Beetle named "Blauchen" (oV!Vo) Beep!

http://www.modelmayhem.com/118

Last edited by LeicaTom : 08-30-2007 at 20:26.

Old 08-30-2007   #14
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Well, I had and used a IVSb & a 7 and should have never sold either. Especially the 7... Argh! Another IV with a 50/1.9 (or 50/3.5?) as a pocket camera and the 7 for the rest of my Canon lenes.

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 09-18-2007   #15
pdek
"Dekkam" as was

Actually, I thought that I answered the question when I mentioned those five cameras. But a lot of you opted for the Canon P, and I did indeed use a P for quite a while back when it was current. My only objection to it was the multiple finder outlines: I have never liked them unless, as in the Canon 7-types, you're only going to use the innermost of the lines that are displayed. That's one of my big gripes about the later Leica M-cameras: you've always got two sets of lines unless you have your camera modified, and if you do this your choice of lenses that couple to the finder is limited to half as many.
So my answer is any one of the five I listed, depending on your preferences, to which you might well add the P and substitute any of the -2 type bottom loaders if you didn't need as many features.
Peter

Original Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdek
Collecting isn't everything. Many of us USE our cameras. Which Canon rangefinder cameras do you prefer when it comes to actually making pictures?
If I were to choose, it would probably be from one of these:

Canon 7sZ (for the back-loading afficianado)
Canon IVSB2 (for the guy who likes bottom-loading)
Canon VI-T (for whoever enjoys trigger-winding)
Canon VI-L (for a camera that has most of the 7sZ attributes but is smaller)
Canon IIB (for the person who really digs antique user-cameras)

But what do YOU think?
Peter

I'll second to that
Old 10-06-2007   #16
Spider67

I'll second to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaTom
the x1 and x1.5 magnification in the viewfinder is really helpful and the rangefinder patch seems much brighter than the Leica`s
(and there`s a built in contrast enhancer in the view finder as well)
with Leica you have to buy that crazy $50+ orange rangefinder filter to give you the same effect
Tom
Just what I thought except that I could say the same thing about the IV SB.
My IV SB is great in handling and feeling...alas the shutter curtains need to be changed!
I am just adapting myself to the IIIc's needs and would gladyly use the IV SB that could adapt to my needs.

Best regards from Vienna

Old 10-06-2007   #17
raid
Dad Photographer

I am still using a Canon IVSB(2?) and a P. Both are in user's condition, and both are accordingly "used". The IVSB looks and feels like a Leica IIIc.

I used to own a mint VI-L that was in a beautiful leather case. It just sat there; it was too good looking for use. I traded it for a Leica Standard.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Old 10-06-2007   #18
leica M2 fan

I love using my 7s with the Canon 1.4 50 and various screw mount lenses. If I needed another I would really like the V1-L. The VF in the 7s is superb and I also like the 1:1. Hard to go wrong with these.

TONY
Leica M2 l Bessa R2A l Canon 7s l Nikon D 700 l Nikon FM3A l Olympus OM4 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

for me
Old 10-06-2007   #19
caila77

for me

1) P
2) IVSb
3) 7

Old 10-06-2007   #20
peterm1

They are all good, goldarn it. I must admit however that I have never been a fan of the bottom trigger winder on some later cameras as I would have only used it (for preference) on a few occasions given my style of photography - my view is that they would have done far far better had they provided both a top lever and bottom wind on these cameras - how good would that have been? I have owned a IVSB2 with a 50mm f1.5 and more recently a IVSB with the 50mm f1.8. Both were nice. I have also owned several Canon lenses including the Serenar 35mm f 3.5, the later chrome and black 50mm f 1.8, the later chrome and black 50mm f1.4, the chrome 85mm f1.8 and both the black / chrome and chrome versions of the 135mm f 3.5. In general I have an extremely high opinion of the cameras and lenses.

Old 10-06-2007   #21
leif e
-

For me the choice is simple; I have only the one P - and I love it. Today I was at a football match, carrying two cameras. M8 on the right shoulder, P on the left, loaded with HP5+. Safe and sound? ;-)

Old 10-06-2007   #22
ferider

The only one I have:

Love this combo.

Roland.

Old 10-06-2007   #23
Solinar
Analog Preferred

Man, that 105 Nikkor makes the Canon P look tiny. I must say - that is one gorgeous lens.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIf RD/ST, - IIIg, - M3
Medium Format Fuji GW 690III / Minolta Autocord
MF Folders Agfa Record III and Super Isolette / Voigtlander Perkeo II and Bessa II
Digital a D300 with a some primes

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 10-06-2007   #24
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I have owned three Canon RF cameras; QL17 GIII, IV SB(2, I think, based on your book Mr. Dechert ), and a P.

The QL17 was nice but I'm not such a fan of fixed lens cameras so I passed it along. No regrets.

The P was a camera I really wanted to like but with my particular eyesight, it was difficult to use. I'd got a good deal on a beater and had it re-habbed so it was a good user though a bit scuffed. I sold that one and, once again, no regrets.

But the IV SB...I found an amazing deal while looking for the 85mm/f2; at some small antiques auction site I found the 85 for very little $, bid on it and got an email from the person selling it that they also happened to have "the old Canon camera that this goes with. How about buying the whole set?" I thought about it for a short while and went for it. Got the kit and that set I really liked. Stupid me, I decided that I didn't want to have the camera sit idle while I saved my nickels for the CLA that it did need, so I sold it. That one I miss. The VF was dusty and a little dim but it "fit" me very well and the rest of the camera was just pleasing to me; great size, beautiful proportions, lovely weight in my hands or around my neck, even the bottom loading wasn't as fiddly as I'd thought it might be.
That one I will have again.

Oh yeah, my vote for "Which Canon to use?": IV SB.

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 10-06-2007   #25
nodyad

Honestly, my Kodak camera passion (which includes demonstrating use of those cameras again after as much as a century) consumes most of my film-based picture taking. But of the Canons I own, the IVSB2 that I bought in high school is my favorite. It's not that I love bottom loading, or even peering into the tiny viewfinder hole with glasses, but this was my yearbook camera, so I love it, not for any particular utility of it, but for the history we share.

Not long ago, I bought a Canon 7 in the expectation that I would find liberation in the outstanding viewfinder in that model. Looks matter, however, and whenever I put my older long lenses on that model, it reminds me of a black plank with a candlestick stuck on the side, unlike the form of the older, more slender models.