Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Bokeh comparison of the Konica 35/2 UC LTM and the Leica 35 Summicron ASPH
Old 04-01-2007   #1
awilder

Bokeh comparison of the Konica 35/2 UC LTM and the Leica 35 Summicron ASPH

After recently purchasing the Konica 35/2 UC, I compared it to my 35 Summicron ASPH. and was surprised to find a virtually identical fingerprint in terms of bokeh. Unfortunately, I no longer have the pre-ASPH. version for comparison, but I strongly suspect it differs in bokeh from these lenses in that there is less blur in the OOF regions. The pre-ASPH. v4 was known as the "King of Bokeh" because "it's coherence of OOF imaging can trick the eye into seeing greater sharpness than exists" (after John Kennerdell, Photo Techniques, May/June 1997). Anyway, here are some images. The first two are at f/2.4, ASPH on the left and UC on the right. Slight color differences are due to changing sunlight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 'cron-f2.4.jpg (113.4 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg UC-f2.4.jpg (117.8 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by awilder : 04-01-2007 at 22:26.

Old 04-01-2007   #2
awilder

Next two are at f/2. The ASPH. on the left and the UC on the right. Color differences are mainly due to the rapidly changing nature of light from the sun setting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 'cron-f2.jpg (72.6 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg UC-f2.jpg (75.4 KB, 240 views)

Last edited by awilder : 04-01-2007 at 22:10.

Old 04-01-2007   #3
aizan

try focusing on something closer. that'll show up much better.

Old 04-01-2007   #4
awilder

Lastly, shots at f/4, left is the ASPH. and right is the UC. Again, the color differences are mainly a factor of changing light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 'cron-4.jpg (111.8 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg UC-f4.jpg (146.5 KB, 149 views)

Old 04-01-2007   #5
awilder

Sorry, the shots at f/2 were the closest, I think around 5 feet.

Old 04-02-2007   #6
wintoid
Gone digital

Just a comment... in the shots at f2, I can see the slatting of the shed walls on the Hexanon shot, but it's mulched into the bokeh on the asph.

Old 04-02-2007   #7
awilder

You are correct about the f/2 shot. Actually, the large OOF area to the left of the tree is the brickwork on the side of my neighbors house. The lighter mortar, especially in the vetrical direction, stands out more with the UC compared with the softer OOF quality of the ASPH. This surprised me initially because I expected the UC to have the softer bokeh. I think it may have to do with the ASPH. correction being so good that more light rays are brought into focus at it's focal plane.

Last edited by awilder : 04-08-2007 at 16:39.

Old 04-02-2007   #8
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

The differences in lighting between each shot make this hard to assess, but after taking a closer look, I can't believe I like the 35 ASPH better.

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 04-02-2007   #9
awilder

I tend to agree about the Summicron ASPH. OOF quality. The difference is subtle but it seems a just little softer than the Hexanon UC.

Old 04-02-2007   #10
clintock
Galleryless Gearhead

Do you have a CV Ultron 35/1.7 to compare?

Old 04-02-2007   #11
galavanter

I'm glad to see the more than twice as much Asph also displays some double lines. I was not familiar with this phenomenon until member ferider pointed it out in the other UC thread. In the F2 shots, in the top left corner of pic, it is more apparent than the UC.

I am thrilled with the results from mine, not only visually but ergonomically too. I may even get used to the tab, so very well built are they. I'm surprised to see one still available from Matsuyiastore. I would think the M8 owners in particular would be all over these.

Old 04-02-2007   #12
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter
I'm surprised to see one still available from Matsuyiastore.
They must have cornered the world's supply of them, then decided to release them one-at-a-time to keep the price/interest level up. (Which seems to have worked.) They must have sold at least 10 recently (mine is #991).

...Mike

My RFF top 10(12). My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff, while dA has some of my better shots.

Old 04-02-2007   #13
raid
Dad Photographer

Maybe you will be inspired to contribute a 35mm lens to this:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=38002

We already have twenty five 35mm-40mm lenses.

Raid

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Last edited by raid : 04-02-2007 at 19:41.

Old 04-02-2007   #14
ferider

Thanks a lot for the comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter
I'm glad to see the more than twice as much Asph also displays some double lines. I was not familiar with this phenomenon until member ferider pointed it out in the other UC thread. In the F2 shots, in the top left corner of pic, it is more apparent than the UC.
I agree and I like the UC better.

Branches and leaves in the background are the most difficult OOF subjects ...

Best,

Roland.

Old 04-03-2007   #15
Avotius
Monster Rancher

I like the 35 asph better too, the over all image is better as well, things seem pretty tidy with that lens, one that I hope soon to add to my working bag.

Old 04-03-2007   #16
awilder

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do anymore bokeh comparisons as I just sold the Summicron ASPH being sufficiently satisfied with the UC. Sharpness is better than I expected. Sharpness is much closer to the aspheric version than the pre-aspheric v4. I really liked the UC's size and build quality.

Last edited by awilder : 04-08-2007 at 16:43.

Old 04-03-2007   #17
raid
Dad Photographer

This is a very interesting finding for people who are considering buying either of these two 35mm lenses. The cost difference is not small. Right?

Raid

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Old 04-03-2007   #18
awilder

I paid $850 w/ used M adapter. The Summicron ASPH. goes for typically around $1300 in nice condition used. The biggest advantage of the Summicron is better corner sharpness and close focus a little below 0.7m vs. exactly 0.9m on the Hexanon UC. I also prefer the Summicron's hood design because it's more compact, rectangular and has it's own cap. The UC has the larger round vented style which dwarfs the tiny lens when attached.

Last edited by awilder : 04-08-2007 at 16:46.

Old 04-18-2007   #19
espressogeek

They are both KICK BUTT. I have the UC and its good enough for me! Thanks for the comparo!

Old 06-09-2007   #20
venchka

If your camera inventory supports both mounts and the wee Konica lens is less expensive.......

You don't have to be smarter than a 5th grader! Hurry up USPS!
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace