Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Which model of Leotax is this
Old 01-24-2007   #1
David Murphy

I just bought this on eBay, but it has not been delivered yet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9853&rd=1&rd=1

I bought it mainly to mate its lens with my rare Leotax S - I will sell the body it comes with. I cannot identify which Leotax model the body is however. I've not seen one with only one flash jack in the limited available online information (my Leotax S has two-front mounted PC jacks). Can anyone help? Could the flash socket be a retrofit? Could the whole outfilt be (gasp!) a sophisticated fake!?

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 01-24-2007   #2
David Murphy

Further study of the site:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/iannorris/leica.htm

indicates it may be a Leotax D IV except it lacks the "Made in Occupied Japan" on the baseplate and it has a flash socket.

Old 01-24-2007   #3
OldNick

David, I found the same site. Its sure looks like the D IV with an aftermarket flash socket added.

Jim N.

Old 01-25-2007   #4
John Shriver

Ooh, you're making me jealous, Tokyo Optical LTM lens! Too expensive for my wallet, but it sure would be fun to have the set of them.

I've got a very complete Topcon SLR system, thus my soft spot for anything Tokyo Optical...

Old 01-25-2007   #5
bob cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murphy
I just bought this on eBay, but it has not been delivered yet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...9853&rd=1&rd=1

I bought it mainly to mate its lens with my rare Leotax S - I will sell the body it comes with. I cannot identify which Leotax model the body is however. I've not seen one with only one flash jack in the limited available online information (my Leotax S has two-front mounted PC jacks). Can anyone help? Could the flash socket be a retrofit? Could the whole outfilt be (gasp!) a sophisticated fake!?
---------------------

David, from the Ebay Jpegs and the serial number on your camera, I believe you have a Leotax D IV, made from 1950-1952, about 2,500-3000 output, with T, .1-20/B .30 .4 .60-500...with no flash synchronization, no screw in the center of the slow-speed dial, with Leotax logo in script and Showa Optical Works engraving...Serial numbers: 12,xxx - 15xxx, in the range of yours. Subsequent models with PC outlets show two outlets that look slightly different from the one PC outlet on the Ebay item... I can't find any Leotax with one PC outlet.

Therefore, while I could be mistaken, I believe the one PC outlet on yours was installed at some later point...

Both "Leica Copies," by HPR and "300 Leica Copies," by Pont/Princelle, show the D IV with no PC outlet...

Here are JPEGs of the D IV in HPR's reference and of the Leotax S that follows...Some of the language may be in German...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leotax D IV 002 (Medium).jpg (73.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Leotax D IV 003 (Medium).jpg (37.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Leotax S with 2 PC outlets 003 (Medium).jpg (76.4 KB, 35 views)

Old 01-25-2007   #6
David Murphy

Thanks -- looks like I need to get a copy of that book if I keep accumulating these rare ones.

I have an alternate theory about the D-IV I bought: it may be a transitional model from the D-IV to the S. It lacks the "Made in Occupied Japan" markings (as does the S) and it has a PC jack on the front left side (as does the S, but with two). Otherwise it is D-IV like.

I will measure the exact position of the PC jack and compare it to my S to see if it is in the same location of one of the two S jacks.

In summary, my speculation is that this D-IV is a new discovered "species" of Leotax.

Old 01-26-2007   #7
David Murphy

The Leotax D-IV arrived today with the Simlar lens which is indeed in exellent condtion as I had hoped. It now resides on my Leotax S. The D IV body is also in fairly decent shape too, with only a couple of problems typical of 1950's bottom-loaders. The metal work on the lens and camera exceed that of any Leica III series that I have owned -- first rate! In fact the V-IV seems better made than the S.

I'll have some test shots with the Simlar to post here shortly. Unfortunately I have to sell the body as my budget allows me to be only a one-Leotax-household :-) It's up on eBay now. I had no good idea of what value to set as the Buy-it-Now price so I am running the sale as a pure auction. If anyone has any idea of what a D IV might appraise to I'd be happy to hear from them.

I just realized (duhh!!) that the Simlar was made by the same company that became Topcon: The Tokyo Optical Company. This is a pretty impressive pedigree!

Last edited by David Murphy : 01-26-2007 at 23:07.