Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

off topic tlr - 64mm (127) B&W bulk film source?
Old 10-06-2006   #1
eli griggs

off topic tlr - 64mm (127) B&W bulk film source?

I was able to buy a Sawyers Mark IV 4x4 TLR this week, along with 100 ft of Portra 160NC, from a fellow APUG member and while I wait for it to arrive, I'd like to find some suitable B&W film in long rolls.

I've searched the forums over there but most of what I came up with was thick based stuff for cameras in airplanes. Does anyone here have an idea where I might find this and perhaps backing paper?

I'd also like to find some 127 spindles , with of without backing paper of any type 127 film.

Cheers

Old 10-07-2006   #2
ARCHIVIST

127 film, backing papers and, from memory, bulk film is avaialable from:
www.frugalphotographer.com Located in Canada, David Foy is the man's name and he is a good bloke to deal with. I have dealt with him several times and can highly recommend the product and the company.

Regards
Peter

Old 10-07-2006   #3
ARCHIVIST

OFF TOPIC - Clear your PM inbox - it is full and so will not accept my or any other PMs sent.

Old 10-07-2006   #4
eli griggs

ARCHIVIST, thanks for the heads up about the inbox; I've cleaned it out so pm away. Also thanks for the source, I'll give them a shout.

Cheers

Old 10-07-2006   #5
Greg_E

http://www.filmforclassics.com has ready to use rolls of 127, they might be able to get you longer rolls. I also thought I saw 127 at Freestyle, but again it might only be the shorter ready to use rolls. Isn't Efke producing 127 rolls in B/W?

There have been a few posts at APUG about cutting down 120 film, and using the extra in Minox 16mm cameras (or maybe that was 70mm rolls). You might consider what is needed to cut down 120 rolls.

Old 10-08-2006   #6
ARCHIVIST

EFKE in Zagreb has either been sold or has gone out of business. Their 127 b/w had an emulsion based on the old Adox emulsions and was a delight o use. Sold under it's own name, EFKE, it also apopearred under the name Macophot. Maco being the German company with the world distribution rights. Try also frugalphotographer.com for their soon to be Bluefire Police b/w film in 127 - it promises to be something good.

Peter

Old 10-09-2006   #7
eli griggs

The why of my quest for long rolls is purely economic; I can't afford to shoot much film in this, if I can't bulk roll for myself, and that would be a shame, for a camera as nice as these little 4x4s.

Come to think on it, I guess I should be looking for long roll b&W 120 at the same time! Any leads there?

Cheers

Old 10-09-2006   #8
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

I think that the only chance you'll have is with cutting down 70mm film stock. Buy one roll as a sacricial lamb for your templates & you should be fine.

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 10-09-2006   #9
ARCHIVIST

Is it worth the trouble of bulk loading roll film and all that this entails just to save a buck or two per roll? What's your time worth?

Peter

Old 10-09-2006   #10
eli griggs

Time, in this case is not an issue for me and I actually enjoy being that involved with 'the process'. I started out photography, bulk loading 35mm, and did so for years, even though I could easily afford film by the brick, though that is not now the case.

This enjoyment of process extends to other art forms. I still prefer to stretch and prepare my own linen canvas for oil painting; to fold and tear to size each sheet of Japanese paper for an edition of woodcut printmaking or Arches for watercolours; to dressing wood by hand planes for some home project. In this age when practical everything we 'consume' can be had prepared by somebody else, it's a pleasure to do for myself what I can and the fact that I might need to do so, that i can afford an endeavor, does not lessen the pleasure one bit.

We all know that machine rolled film will be 'perfect' and there is always a chance that a bulk rolled film may have a scratch or other defect, but for me, thats almost always a risk I'll be willing take.

Of course, if I were shooting for someone else, a client, then it would be a different story.

Cheers

Old 10-09-2006   #11
ARCHIVIST

Fare comment.
To each his own.

Peter