Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Nicca IIIs
Old 09-21-2013   #1
Lucadomi

Nicca IIIs

I just bought this camera. It is very new to me. It took me quite a while to load the first film today. I am guessing this is very close to an original Leica LTM. I used it today and I really like it. So solid and well built, small and portable. I was considering a more expensive Minolta CLE or Leica Cl as portable camera. i am very happy with my choice so far.

Old 09-21-2013   #2
leicapixie

It looks great. Loading is a tough one!
There is a way with a business card, see internet..
Also need the special leader..
Nicca are good cameras.
I worked with the last one, similar to a M3.

Old 09-21-2013   #3
Pioneer

Congrats, Nicca made a terrific Barnack clone. It should work very well for you.

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Me

Old 09-21-2013   #4
Lucadomi

Thanks for the good comments. I will get used to loading I guess. But the feeling of the camera is surprisingly good and I hope also the Chiyoko lens will perform well. Shooting was actually quick and I did not mind the small viewfinder that much and focusing was fine. I was really surprised by this camera. I am already considering a small 35mm lens for it.

Old 09-22-2013   #5
Major Tom

The Canon and Nicca clones were the best. You don't *have* to cut the extra leader. The main thing is confirming sprockets lining up on the take up side, which should be visible. Just make sure your take up spool is all the way down, sometimes you have to push a bit.

Pixie is referring to a late Nicca clone that was sold in the U.S. as a Tower 45/46 that had lever advance, a Contax style frame counter and an opening film back to assist in loading. After they were bought by Yashica there was a version of it called the YE with 1/500 max speed and black enamel dials. It is probably the perfect "user" of the Leica III variants alongside the Leica IIIg.

Old 09-22-2013   #6
johannielscom
Off to Nikon dSLR, MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
The Canon and Nicca clones were the best. You don't *have* to cut the extra leader. The main thing is confirming sprockets lining up on the take up side, which should be visible. Just make sure your take up spool is all the way down, sometimes you have to push a bit.

Pixie is referring to a late Nicca clone that was sold in the U.S. as a Tower 45/46 that had lever advance, a Contax style frame counter and an opening film back to assist in loading. After they were bought by Yashica there was a version of it called the YE with 1/500 max speed and black enamel dials. It is probably the perfect "user" of the Leica III variants alongside the Leica IIIg.
My Tower 45/46:
http://www.johanniels.com/index.php/...d-the-tower-45

and the thread on RFF:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=125538

www.johanniels.com

See ya.

Old 09-22-2013   #7
David Murphy

I own a Nicca IIIs as well - it's a very well made Leica copy - great camera
Contax IIa, Tanack IV-S, Canon L1, Leotax S, Kardon Civilian, Bessa R2S, Nikon S2, Leica, IIIa, Kalloflex, Kowa 6, Konica Autoreflex T, Canon Ftb QL, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 09-22-2013   #8
Lucadomi

I did cut the film, but I will try without cutting next time. I was able to see the sprockets and, once I pushed all the way down, the film was engaged properly. I put in bulb also checked from the front with shutter open. The Tower 45/46 also looks very nice. I like the small accessory viewfinder, it looks perfect when using a 35mm lens. I was thinking to get a 35mm summaron. Thanks for the feedback. I am really discovering a very interesting new world here with these cameras.

Old 09-28-2013   #9
Lucadomi

There she is with the Summaron. Super portable now. Small 35mm viewfinder is on is way.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-28-2013   #10
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucadomi View Post
I did cut the film, but I will try without cutting next time. . . . .
I really wouldn't. Like an awful lot of short cuts, it works until it doesn't. When it doesn't, the perforations get chewed up and you get film chips in the camera. Rare? Yes. Unknown? No. It also slows loading.

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-28-2013   #11
Lucadomi

Thanks for the tip Roger. I hope the second time around to be a little faster. If the film catches on properly on the spool and on the sprocket everything should go well. It is worth it the effort because really enjoy the camera. I hope i will not end up buying too many ltm lenses now!

Old 09-28-2013   #12
Lucadomi

I tried the Summaron today and i can see that at infinity the image is not aligning properly. I can still see the image slightly doubled in the rangefinder patch at infinity. I am not sure how is this affecting the focussinng but i think i will have to return this lens and look for another compact lens.