Old 01-12-2013   #681
cam
the need for speed

oooooh, Ashwin, you got the 8-element, YEY!!!

Old 01-12-2013   #682
icebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
It's been a while since I posted from the MM here. Here are a few, with various old lenses:

Hilarious pose, great shot, love it !

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 01-12-2013   #683
jcrutcher

Summitar works nice on MM

F2.8, 1000 ISO 1/60. no noise removal or sharpening in PP

Lemon's by rootbeer2004, on Flickr

http://www.rbcphotographs.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/

Old 01-12-2013   #684
airfrogusmc

Thanks Dave,

Good stuff jcrutcher, ashwinrao1 & Vince...

Old 01-12-2013   #685
menos

Ashwin, so you collected all the nicest Japanese long lenses ;-)
Congrats on the new Canon 85/1.8 - I saw you inquiring for it.

The three lenses, you quoted here are among my personal favourite japanese lenses - each for their specialty.

You got them working nicely!

Old 01-12-2013   #686
ashwinrao1
Ashwin Rao

THanks, Cam, and yes, I am learning and loving the 8-element.

Thanks as well, Airfrogusmc, Icebear, and Dirk.

Dirk, I learned much from you in selecting these lenses, by browsing the thread here, at LUF, and at your Flickr thread...you are my personal GAS activator. The Canon 100 isn't mine, but I do love the copy that I used...

Old 01-12-2013   #687
ashwinrao1
Ashwin Rao

Lovely captures, airfrogusmc, jcrutcher and Vince!

Old 01-12-2013   #688
ashwinrao1
Ashwin Rao

A few more silly 85 mm f/1.8 LTM shots from today...this lens really shines for BW work...

Old 01-12-2013   #689
menos

Haha Ashwin - the first one is way cool!
I am just editing photos on rainy sunday and listening to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORYO0atB6g

I love these portraits, you do with the lenses.
regarding Canon 100/2 vs 85/1.8 (which have a lot in common image wise), I end up using my 100/2 much more, as there is simply no other lens like this, that has such a fantastic handling, great imaging and performance (the Nikon 105/2.5 is a bit slower and has an completely different look - more modern).

For 85mm I now absolutely prefer the 85/1.5 Nikkor LTM over all other lenses in that range (75/1.4, 85mm Canon, 90mm Leitz, …) - the 85 Nikkor is simply magic (just a tip in case, you look to try out other 85mm options - hehe).

Old 01-13-2013   #690
Vince Lupo

Judging by everyone else's photos, looks like I still have a lot to learn about this camera!

The Noctilux -- I'm slowly getting used to this lens, but I wish it didn't vignette so much at f/1. I was actually thinking of recoding the lens as a 35 Summliux so the vignetting would be less!

Old 01-13-2013   #691
xdayv
Color Blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post

Oh my, so this is what helps you focus accurately on a Rangefinder?

MM | 28 | 50 | 90

Old 01-13-2013   #692
jcrutcher

Thank you airfrogusmc and ashwin

I agree lots of good mono photos on this tread, I like your work also.

Old 01-13-2013   #693
airfrogusmc

Menos nice set and more good stuff Dave, Vince, Ashwin and jcrutcher...

Old 01-13-2013   #694
Vince Lupo

Not a big fan of the degree of vignetting it gives at f/1. Maybe if I manually set the lens coding to a 35/1.4, it might be a bit better. Thoughts on this?

Old 01-13-2013   #695
cam
the need for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
Not a big fan of the degree of vignetting it gives at f/1. Maybe if I manually set the lens coding to a 35/1.4, it might be a bit better. Thoughts on this?
i love the vignetting and actually get a bit cranky when it gets corrected

have you tried the lens correction feature in LR? (don't know if it works, just throwing that out.)

Old 01-13-2013   #696
Vince Lupo

No I haven't tried lens correction in LR. I don't mind a bit of vignetting, but at F/1 it almost looks like I'm using the wrong lens hood or something (and I'm not even using one at the moment).

Old 01-13-2013   #697
airfrogusmc

I agree nice Vince. I shot this wide open 35 1.4 lux FLE taken last night.

Old 01-13-2013   #698
jcrutcher

I have a Noctilux .95 and have not noticed vignetting to that degree. Then I realized I have not mounted it on the MM so that will give me some new ideas for tonight. I believe Dirk has a Noct F1.0, maybe he can help. Either way you will love then Noctilux once you get used to it.

Jim

Old 01-13-2013   #699
cam
the need for speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrutcher View Post
I have a Noctilux .95 and have not noticed vignetting to that degree. Then I realized I have not mounted it on the MM so that will give me some new ideas for tonight. I believe Dirk has a Noct F1.0, maybe he can help. Either way you will love then Noctilux once you get used to it.
i think Vince is quite used to his Noctilux (judging from his photos)... the Noctilux is a strange beast -- sometimes you get huge vignettes. other times it's barely noticeable. a lot of that depends on the light.

Vince -- another way to get rid of vignetting is to dodge the corners and/or use a program that will do it for you and adjust to taste. again, my preference is to leave it in and sometimes even enhance it... maybe it's because that is always the way it behaves on film? (i don't have a hood either, btw. some mix-up when i bought it -- i got the one for an E60 but my lens is an E58.)

Old 01-13-2013   #700
xdayv
Color Blind

Jim - the shot of the tulips still has excellent tonality at ISO 3200.

Vince - I think you are getting the hang out of the Noctilux, the bokeh on that portrait of Lee is to die for.

Allen - well captured smile!

MM | 28 | 50 | 90

Old 01-13-2013   #701
menos

Hey Vince, regarding the vignetting of the Noctilux 1 - it is, as people say.
It is one of the characteristics of this very lens - it's always there, easily up to 2.8 visible, strongest up to 1.4.

In some light it doesn't look so obvious, but it has it.

Most people, who bought a 50/1m, tried it, fell in love and kept it love the vignetting too and leave it (myself included, while I often also alter the vignetting slightly in Lightroom = add more).

If you want to remove or lighten the vignetting, I found the vignetting tools in Lightroom extremely powerful.
First, you should find out, which vignetting shape fits your Noctilux best (it is not a truly round vignetting setting, that works best, but more like a setting of −55 to −65 in Lightroom).

Then you can lighten the vignetting step by step, until it matches the brightness of the frame, then play a bit with the flow setting, to have the corners look smooth in terms of lighting.

Sometimes a corner in a frame, that looks darker than the others, as of lighting can be helped by using a grad filter setting in just that corner (place the filter just in that corner and lighten exposure by +0.2 to +0.3).
I absolutely love Lightroom for the flexibilities and no nonsense UI.

There is another user of the Noctilux 1 here, can't remember his RFF nick - his name is Carsten (a fellow German).
He does landscape stitches with the Noctilux 1 wide open, that leave me speechless.
I am sure he has some magic tips regarding removal of vignetting as one would see any inconstancies of illumination in his stitches.

Oh and no offence, but I am with Cam - I too get a little funny, when somebody wants to touch the vignetting of the Noctilux 1 - haha ;-)

Vince, I hope, you find what you are looking for - the Noctilux is a wonderful machine!

Old 01-13-2013   #702
Vince Lupo

Thanks for all the input guys -- I've decided that I am going to keep the lens (plus the lens hood is arriving tomorrow, and I just bought two filters for it yesterday at the Leica store in Washington, DC). Perhaps I'll learn to fall in love with the f/1 vignetting as it is, but I might play around with some manual lens coding options in the camera to see what the differences might be.

Thanks for the compliments on Lee's photo -- he definitely has one of those faces that photographs well!

Here's a bigger version of the shot: http://www.flickr.com/photos/directi...@N25/lightbox/

Old 01-13-2013   #703
ashwinrao1
Ashwin Rao

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
Haha Ashwin - the first one is way cool!
I am just editing photos on rainy sunday and listening to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORYO0atB6g

I love these portraits, you do with the lenses.
regarding Canon 100/2 vs 85/1.8 (which have a lot in common image wise), I end up using my 100/2 much more, as there is simply no other lens like this, that has such a fantastic handling, great imaging and performance (the Nikon 105/2.5 is a bit slower and has an completely different look - more modern).

For 85mm I now absolutely prefer the 85/1.5 Nikkor LTM over all other lenses in that range (75/1.4, 85mm Canon, 90mm Leitz, ) - the 85 Nikkor is simply magic (just a tip in case, you look to try out other 85mm options - hehe).

Great shots, Dirk, and thanks for the tips. I agree that the Nikon 105 has a very different, more "Sonnar" look to it, while the Canon 85 and 100 have smooth defined...The Canon 100 seems a tad more refined, while the 85 seems to have a bit more moodiness to it...I suspect that I'll end up with both down the road.

Speaking of Nikkor 85's, how much did you pay for the Nikkor 85 mm f/1.5? You can PM me...I am trying to guage the market...I have heard that they are mainly collectors, and that the Nikkor 85 mm f/2 is really a fantastic performer...I am intrigued, and love your shots of the model with the Nikkor 85...I have the Leica 75 lux, that gives me the character lens that I like in this focal length, but the Nikkor is intriguing, for certain!

Old 01-13-2013   #704
ashwinrao1
Ashwin Rao

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdayv View Post
Oh my, so this is what helps you focus accurately on a Rangefinder?
LOL...that's it ...

Old 01-14-2013   #705
C_R

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
Hey Vince, regarding the vignetting of the Noctilux ƒ1 - it is, as people say.
It is one of the characteristics of this very lens - it's always there, easily up to ƒ2.8 visible, strongest up to ƒ1.4.

In some light it doesn't look so obvious, but it has it.

Most people, who bought a 50/1m, tried it, fell in love and kept it love the vignetting too and leave it (myself included, while I often also alter the vignetting slightly in Lightroom = add more).

If you want to remove or lighten the vignetting, I found the vignetting tools in Lightroom extremely powerful.
First, you should find out, which vignetting shape fits your Noctilux best (it is not a truly round vignetting setting, that works best, but more like a setting of −55 to −65 in Lightroom).

Then you can lighten the vignetting step by step, until it matches the brightness of the frame, then play a bit with the flow setting, to have the corners look smooth in terms of lighting.

Sometimes a corner in a frame, that looks darker than the others, as of lighting can be helped by using a grad filter setting in just that corner (place the filter just in that corner and lighten exposure by +0.2 to +0.3).
I absolutely love Lightroom for the flexibilities and no nonsense UI.

There is another user of the Noctilux ƒ1 here, can't remember his RFF nick - his name is Carsten (a fellow German).
He does landscape stitches with the Noctilux ƒ1 wide open, that leave me speechless.
I am sure he has some magic tips regarding removal of vignetting as one would see any inconstancies of illumination in his stitches.

Oh and no offence, but I am with Cam - I too get a little funny, when somebody wants to touch the vignetting of the Noctilux ƒ1 - haha ;-)

Vince, I hope, you find what you are looking for - the Noctilux is a wonderful machine!
Thanks, Dirk :-) Since the MM is not supported by Capture One, there is no easy lens correction. LR4 has a built-in profile for the Nocti 0.95, to correct for distortion and vignetting. My solution to avoid artifacts when stitching Nocti 1.0 images is overlap of at least 50%.

A possible solution for LR4 is the "DNG flat field" plugin, free download from the Adobe Labs site. You can correct color only or color plus vignetting, from a reference shot you make with your own lens, here, the Nocti 1.0. Chose the reference shot (white disk, but a Melitta filter paper does the job, too...) and the Nocti shot in LR4, then run the plugin and you get a corrected DNG file in the same folder, with vignette completely fixed. Works, but sometimes it is nice to have the vignette undercorrected.

For lens-specific and fine-tuned vignette control, the only solution for MM files is "cornerfix", a free program that reads Monochrom DNG and can fix the vignette as much as needed.

Carsten

Old 01-14-2013   #706
jcrutcher

Noctilux F.95

Iso 320 wide open

L1000982.jpg by rootbeer2004, on Flickr

Old 01-15-2013   #707
airfrogusmc

Love that glass Jim. Nice indeed.

Old 01-15-2013   #708
airfrogusmc

Old 01-15-2013   #709
jcrutcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
This is a wonderful scene. I like how the corner of the glasses are in perfect focus, it drew my eye right to it. Very relaxing scene also. Nice job !

Old 01-15-2013   #710
xdayv
Color Blind

Quote:
I agree! Dave you have that Mono figured out, wonderful work you're doing.

Jim
Jim, very inspiring, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Yes not only are the images strong visually I really love the way the processing works with the images. I'm still trying to get a grip on the MM both the shooting end and the processing.

Great job Dave and you make me miss PI. I loved it when I was there a few decades ago. Amazing people and culture.
Allen, cheers to you... If you happen to be in this part of the world again, shoot me a PM, i'll go to MNL to meet you over a cup of coffee hehe.

Quote:
Noctilux F.95
I have to remind myself I cannot handle a Nocti.

Quote:
This is a wonderful scene. I like how the corner of the glasses are in perfect focus, it drew my eye right to it. Very relaxing scene also. Nice job !
+1. classical feel. nicely done *Allen!

MM | 28 | 50 | 90

Last edited by xdayv : 01-15-2013 at 20:45. Reason: *oooppss the name, sorry.

Old 01-15-2013   #711
airfrogusmc

Thanks Jim and Dave.

Old 01-16-2013   #712
jcrutcher

One more of the Tulips before they die.

Noctilux .95 320 ISO 1/25

L1000996.jpg by rootbeer2004, on Flickr

Old 01-16-2013   #713
airfrogusmc

The OOF areas are just beautiful So smooth. Thanks Jim. Ya got me want'n sump'm I sure can't afford. (LoL)

Old 01-17-2013   #714
airfrogusmc

Old 01-17-2013   #715
xdayv
Color Blind

@Jim - the bokeh rendering of the Nocti is on a different league. Nicely done on the tulips.

@Allen - excellent play between light and shade.

please post more!

MM | 28 | 50 | 90

Old 01-17-2013   #716
airfrogusmc

Quote:
@Jim - the bokeh rendering of the Nocti is on a different league. Nicely done on the tulips.

please post more!
Thanks Dave. Ok one more form earlier. Orange filter.

Old 01-17-2013   #717
xdayv
Color Blind

It's so hard to get hold on those colored filters on this side of the world. Allen, more than the filter - the patterns and shadows, as usual!

MM | 28 | 50 | 90

Old 01-17-2013   #718
jcrutcher

Quote:

please post more!

Thank you Dave, I appreciate it!

Jim

Old 01-18-2013   #719
icebear

2/90 S'cron , ISO2000, 1/90
Ann Hamilton's "A Thread" art installation in Park Ave Armory, NYC

2/50 Planar

2/35 asph.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall