Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Epson R-D1 Digital RF

Digital Epson R-D1 Digital RF A dedicated forum to the first Digital rangefinder camera.

Old 12-19-2012   #26
astro8

Thanks Sandrini.

The 21/3.4 Super-Angulon is a special lens.

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-19-2012   #27
sandrini

@astro8

How does this lens work with the RD-1. As far as I know the metering is not working. Ok i can adjust that by myself. But did you noticed any furher problems with the RD-1 by using this lens ?

I dont want to kill my RD-1 with this lens.

Quote:
Note: Lenses with external dimensions exceeding 20.5 cannot be used with this camera. In addition, the following lenses cannot be used (correct as of March 11, 2004)
Hologon 15mm F8, Super Angulon 21 mm F4, Super Angulon 21 mm F3.4, Elmarit 28 mm F2.8 (early models), Summicron 50 mm F2 (dual range Summicron), Hektor 50 mm F2.5, and Elmar 50 mm F3.5

Old 12-19-2012   #28
mfogiel

For street, you would want something between 28 and 50mm full frame, i.e. 18, 24 or 35mm on RD.
18mm you have the Zeiss f 4.0 and Leica f 3.4, I believe they are both great. For the look of the photos, flip through Winogrand, Moryiama and Klein.
24mm you get lots of great lenses, probably best bang for the buck is 21/2.8 Biogon, or the SA 21/3.4 if you prefer the lower contrast, then there is the CV 21/4 or Biogon 21/4,5 and modern Leica stuff up to Summilux 24. For inspiration look through photos of Rene Burri or here: http://www.smague.fr/
35mm I would seriously think of CV 35/1.2, else whatever other decent lens out there is good enough.
For inspiration, flip through photos of HCB, Elliot Erwitt.

Old 12-19-2012   #29
venchka

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
Get one of the tiny 28mm offerings out there. Canon, Kobalux (pankcake!), Nikkor. Lots of good tiny 28mm lenses.

If you're going for 35 then the UC-Hexanon is truly the one to beat.

If you want wider then you're limited to a very few pieces that are small. The Super Angulon is probably the flattest and, as far as I'm concerned, one of the true masterpieces in lens design. The Cosina 21mm f/4 is awesome as well. But don't overlook the Kobalux 21mm f/2.8. It's wide but pretty flat. An extraordinary lens. If you can handle something a bit longer, the Biogons are outstanding as well.

If you like the 15 then stick with the CV 15 'cause everything else is huge and expensive (ZM 15mm) or very tiny, slow and even more expensive (Converted Zeiss Hologon.)

Have fun.

Phil Forrest
My sentiments exactly. Phil beat me to it. I can't offer any better advice except, "Just do it!"
A word of caution regarding purchasing the stunning Konica 35mm/2.0 UC-Hexanon lens: Don't buy one unless it is complete. Lens, both caps, both cases (lens & hood) and the Hood. Oh yes! The Hood.

Wayne
"Leave me alone, I know what I'm doing" Kimi Raikkonen
My Gallery
My Blog-Reborn
FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Old 12-19-2012   #30
sevres_babylone

For inspiration using a lens you already own, check out Tommy Oshima's work with the 15mm on the Epson: http://www.flickr.com/search/?ss=2&w...mm+r-d1&m=text

Old 12-19-2012   #31
krötenblender

Hi,

when I had the R-D1, I had a similar setup to yours. The CV15, the two Noktons (1.4/35 MC, and 1.1/50) and additionally a collapsible 50mm Elmar from 1957 and a 28mm Minolta Rokkor. The Rokkor 28mm was by far my most used lens on the R-D1 for street photography. I really loved the results of that lens with that camera. For Portrait the Nokton 35 was my favourite.

I sold the 1.1/50, because it was too heavy and the IQ was not that impressive. The 35mm had to go, when I got my Summilux FLE for the M9, the Elmar was replaced with a Summitar, but I still have the 15mm, but I use it very seldom and preferrably with film.

But the best lens on the R-D1 was the 28mm M-Rokkor. I still have it, although I do not use it much (someone want to buy?), because with M9 and film, the 35mm Summilux is my main lens.

I can understand your point, that you want to have a mainly one lens system, that fits your style. Although I have a few lenses for my cameras, I almost always use only one lens (35mm) and have at most a second one in the pocket (50mm), that I rarely take out. The Rokkor on the R-D1 was a perfekt team.

Old 12-19-2012   #32
dreilly
Chillin' in Geneva

I miss my R-D1! I still tinker with the idea of going back to one. No other camera has a feel like it, and the files are really lovely.

My favorite lens on it I don't think has been mentioned: the Zeiss 25mm 2.8. Incredibly sharp. I used the whole viewfinder for framing, worked fine. I just love the way this lens draws. Not the fastest lens around, but wow. Vignettes a little, which I never minded and is easily corrected.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xenar/collections/

No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film. ~Robert Adams, Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques, May 1995 (I suppose that should now read: "and have a full battery and an empty memory card." Though that sounds so dull.

Old 12-19-2012   #33

i bought the rd1 from dreilly and i vote for the Nokton 35 f1.4 S.C. lens ....

compact and lovely B&W + fast lens. Distortion isn't scary.

Old 12-19-2012   #34
shadeofpale

I'd take a 28-mm-lens. You can use the built in frame lines.
The CV Color Skopar 28/ 3,5- a wonderful little gem- might
be a little bit to slow- if so, choose a Leica or Zeiss Lens.

Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.

Old 12-19-2012   #35
PineEar
photographer

I am very happy most of the time shooting with the CV Ultron 28/2. It's very sharp and fast enough for most situations. Build quality is very solid and the price is decent. The resulting 42mm effective focal length is almost a normal, but with the added width feels a little more versatile. A good compromise.

Old 12-19-2012   #36
astro8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrini View Post
@astro8

How does this lens work with the RD-1. As far as I know the metering is not working. Ok i can adjust that by myself.
There are no mounting problems. Adjust the metering 2 - 2.5 stops.

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-19-2012   #37
3jal

I also prefer a 28mm with my rd1. The vc 28 color skopar is a very nice lens but I choose my Nikkor 28 f3.5 over it, more compact and better color rendition, but that's just me.

Old 12-23-2012   #38
kermaier

I found the SA 21/3.4 to be a pain on the R-D1: metering didn't work (exposure comp wasn't always enough, depending on focus distance); and there was tremendous light fall-off at the sides (again depending on aperture and focus distance).

The CV 21/4 is great, very compact and fast handling.

Ive not tried one myself, but I've heard the Leica 24/2.8 Asph is great. If you like a vintage look, try to find a clean Canon 25/3.5 in LTM. Very compact, lovely lens.

In a 28mm, the Leica 28/2.8 Elmarit-M Asph is superb, compact, a classic street lens. The M-Rokkor 28/2.8 is also special, if you can find a clean one. The CV 28/3.5 is also wonderful, sharp, small, solid. For a vintage look, the Canon 28/2.8 LTM is a classic street lens, though much lower contrast than the more modern lenses.

And, in a 35mm, the UC-Hex is awesome, as is its forefather, the W-Nikkor 35/1.8.

::Ari

Old 01-10-2013   #39
sandrini

Just to update you all. Still did not decided yet...

Currently selling the Nokton 1.1 + decided to sell the 35 1,4 SC (dont know if thats a good decission since this lens is fast + small...)

* So Nokton will be sold to 100%
* 35 1,4 to 75%

Had a chance to buy already the Super Angulon 3,4 for only 650 EUR - but it was reserved already and is gone to someone else.

However I am really looking now more for a 21mm. The Angulon is nice but I have no idea whether I will be happy shooting with this street due to the metering issues. Dont want to miss good picutures due this - and I think I will miss few.....

The 21 Biogon Zeiss 2,8 is a lens im looking currenty into. But this lens is on the other hand no really small like the Angulon.

28mm I dont want to use. Want to stick only to 21mm and 15mm (the 15mm Heliar I will keep since I really like this lens to much !)

Old 01-10-2013   #40
Lss

The CV 21/4 is a good option.

Old 01-15-2013   #41
kermaier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandrini View Post
The 21 Biogon Zeiss 2,8 is a lens im looking currenty into. But this lens is on the other hand no really small like the Angulon.
If you want small and don't need fast, you could try the ZM 21/4.5....

Old 01-22-2013   #42
sandrini

Guys, have found my lens . Would like to thank you all for your tips and help ! BIG THANKS!

I went out for a 30 min walk today after I have received the SA 3,4.

So far so good - nice lens - just a minimum play (lens mount vs. M mount on the RD-1) But I think I will keep this one.

Just few test picures to check out the meetering issue - not really sharp due to the reduction to 600width.

However, again - THANK YOU all !!!