Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Cosina Voigtlander Bessa

View Poll Results: Which one is for you?
L 39 4.36%
T 43 4.80%
R 119 13.30%
R2 66 7.37%
R2M (Jahre 250) 13 1.45%
R2M 49 5.47%
R2A 100 11.17%
R3M (Jahre 250) 39 4.36%
R3M 76 8.49%
R3A 140 15.64%
R4M 106 11.84%
R4A 105 11.73%
Voters: 895. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2012   #176
crispy12

I'm loving my R2. Can't believe the difference in price between an R2 and R2M new. The finish is also much much nicer on the R2! Hate the matte black and button rewind.

Old 06-25-2012   #177
Chrisrw
photomonkey

I love my R2. I bought it here back in January with a MC CV 40/1.4. Had trouble with the ergonomics of the focusing ring/knob, but absolutely loved the feel of the camera. Decided that is was an impulse buy and put both up for sale. Had a taker for just the lens and after spending time with him waxing Bessa's (he had the R3A) during the sell, I realized that I loved the R2 body and decided to keep it. I didn't want to spend another $450-500 right away for another Nokton so I got a Jupiter 8 with adapter from Fedka. Haven't developed any film yet, but I love how the lens feels. I find it easier to focus without a knob on it and love the camera even more. I see no reason to move up to a Leica now. I can save all that $ for film instead.

Old 06-25-2012   #178
PointOmega

Good stuff. I have an R3A, and consider it one of the most underrated camera bodies of all time. A wonderful machine, you don't need anything more.

Old 07-01-2012   #179
Hamel

I love my R3A and usually burn between 5-10 rolls through it a week on average. However the 1:1 finder isn't as useful as I thought it would be and having the batteries die once or twice without backups is extremely frustrating. However I'm not sure I would be as happy if it weren't for aperture priority. Just wish when the batteries died you could still shoot at 1/60 or 1/125 mechanically.

That being said I've been contemplating trying to find someone who wants to trade for an R2a or r4a. I think the wider frame lines and viewfinder magnification would suit my eye and shooting style better. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM.

Also torn on selling it to buy another Mamiya 6 body since my first one broke. However the Bessa is just so damn easy to carry EVERYWHERE and try more shots since 35mm is basically free compared to MF.

Equipment is transient. Photographs matter.

Old 07-05-2012   #180
jayavant

I have a Bessa L. Lovely little thing but not robust at all. I treat it with some care these days. It's been repaired twice - most recently a whole new shutter. Typically it has a Snapshot Skopar 25/4 on it but occasionally a Heliar 15/4.5 as in this photo -

Cosina-Voigtländer Bessa-L by The Central Scrutiniser, on Flickr

But the one I want is the Bessa III. It's not on the poll so I voted for L.

Old 08-03-2012   #181
wdeskiew

I've just received my R4A - the range of lenses covered by the viewfinder is what I need. R4M would do as well.

My flickr

Old 09-03-2012   #182
maxmars

Just bought a used "R" on the net.
I've got a few FSU lenses that I love and the Bessa R looked like a logical choice.

I also have a small collection of FEDs that I use daily with great satisfaction, but I miss the additional times and synch of a more modern design.

I'm a bit worried about robustness, though. FEDs have really spoiled me in that regard.

Old 09-09-2012   #183
sparrow6224

The one I WANT is buried in Tom A.'s post -- The R2S. A modern camera for the Nikon lenses.... very appealing. Next i'd take the R4A for my 21, 28 and desired 25. When I came back to photography 4 years ago my first rangefinder was the R2. I really liked it. Eventually the collection grew and the R2 went in one of my regular "sweeps"-- I come at the closet every three months like a team of INS agents in a ghetto tenement.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/commodiusvicus/

Old 09-19-2012   #184
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

I would like an updated model Bessa R. I have a bunch of old screwmount lenses, and can't afford M ones. If you are going to be a Luddite, at least you should do it properly, so it should be revised with better and more traditional materials. My old Bessa R works great, but is awfully plasticy beside something like, for example, a Contax IIIa.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 10-30-2012   #185
varchs

I am thinking of purchasing a R2M...
after hours of research and "meditation" in order to take the Bessa decision I'll go for the puristic approach... (guiding meter instead of computer driven shutter)

I have run out of batteries many times while hiking (cold weather) and with R2M is possible to take pictures by using sunny-16* or even an exposure chart...

I suppose that the frame-lines 35/50/75/90 cover my needs in lenses.
...and it is easier to go wider with a viewfinder, as focusing is not that an issue in wide angles...

Thank you for reading my thoughts...

Old 11-01-2012   #186
Gan|Path

Bessa 'L' with 25MM Snapshot. It really made me like Film photography because of the simplicity of it

Old 11-01-2012   #187
kshapero
Tourist

I have an M3 with a 21mm and 50mm lens. Which CV Bessa should I get to go with the M3 body? R4m for the 21? R3M for the 50? Bessa L? etc. Advise requested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Old 11-07-2012   #188
gliderbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by varchs View Post
I am thinking of purchasing a R2M...
after hours of research and "meditation" in order to take the Bessa decision I'll go for the puristic approach... (guiding meter instead of computer driven shutter)

I have run out of batteries many times while hiking (cold weather) and with R2M is possible to take pictures by using sunny-16* or even an exposure chart...

I suppose that the frame-lines 35/50/75/90 cover my needs in lenses.
...and it is easier to go wider with a viewfinder, as focusing is not that an issue in wide angles...

Thank you for reading my thoughts...
Then why not the R3M? That one gives you a 1:1viewfinder and the difference between the 35 and 40 framelines is neglible, imo.

Stefan.

Old 11-07-2012   #189
gliderbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
I have an M3 with a 21mm and 50mm lens. Which CV Bessa should I get to go with the M3 body? R4m for the 21? R3M for the 50? Bessa L? etc. Advise requested.
R4M for 21. Your M3 is fine for 50mm.

Old 12-28-2012   #190
reiki_

Does someone have a picture of framelines for 50mm on the Bessa R?

Old 12-28-2012   #191
teleparallel

I have a R4A, with my(now) almost perfect collection of skopar lenses. 21 35 an 50! I voted for the R4m though. I use my bessa in manual mode all the time, and i'd like to have the more precise meter readout.

R2s back-up camera
Old 12-29-2012   #192
mynikonf2
...new old stock

Location: ...a resident of the Virgo Galactic Supercluster or thereabouts...
Thumbs up R2s back-up camera

Really like the framelines for 85 & 35mm in the R2S, they are my two favorite focal lengths.

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 01-30-2013   #193
Pioneer

Bessa R2C as back up for my Contax II and Bessa R as back up to my Tower Type 3.

"My 2nd 10,000 Are Not A Lot Better"
Dan

Old 03-06-2013   #194
Ambrosius

Very happy with my R but I want M mount and better construction. The top plate is becoming "grey" and and the back is scratched. But I really want M mount, so I will look for a R2 (maybe the olive)

Old 03-07-2013   #195
froyd

Had an R2a because it covered the 35/50 range with room to go a little longer if needed. At the time I thought I had to have AE because I was coming from matrix-metering SLRs and felt insecure in my ability to operate the camera quickly enough to keep up with my rug rats.

After owning a few meterless bodies (Rolleiflex, M4, Exacta), I no longer feel a need for AE, and think I could do very well with an R2M, especially for what seems to me as the best meter read-out pf all the metered M bodies.

Problem is, I like chrome, and the chrome R2M is very hard to come by!

Old 04-24-2013   #196
Cameron

Hey everyone, I have a quick question. I have a Bessa-R and the only thing I'm not fanatic about is the lightweight/plastic feel to it. That's just me, I like a solid, heavy object - whatever it may be. Do the latera cameras (R2M/R2A, R3M/R3A, R4M) have the same plasticky build quality? Or is there a metallic, heavy feel to it? I'm not fortunate to get my hands on either of those models.

Not light
Old 04-25-2013   #197
KismetSky

Not light

I weighed my new to me R3A with 40 1.4 on a kitchen scale - 1 lb 8 oz.
My Nikon FE2 with 50 1.8 Series E weighs 1 lb 10 oz.

The R3A feels heavy and substantial.

Old 04-27-2013   #198
tedwhite

But the Bessa R remains one hell of a good camera. I wasn't fond of the plastic feel, but it never failed to work and its meter was the best of any camera I've ever owned, and I've been around for awhile.

rangefinder forum gallery

Old 05-15-2013   #199
VitoCipriani

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedwhite View Post
But the Bessa R remains one hell of a good camera. I wasn't fond of the plastic feel, but it never failed to work and its meter was the best of any camera I've ever owned, and I've been around for awhile.
I've got a Bessa R and I absolutely love it. I knew of the plastic, lightweight feel before I bought it and had doubts about it, but I've grown to love it. It's much more sturdy than I thought it would be. Its lightweight nature is an advantage sometimes too, in my view.

The only thing that frustrates me about my Bessa R is the positioning of the strap lugs. But I can live with that.

Old 06-26-2013   #200
music_healing

Most basic affordable setup for me to start film and learning RF

I vote Bessa-R because it use LTM mount (most of my lens are LTM_

Bessa-R Summitar by William Jusuf, on Flickr

Sincerely
William