Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 12-22-2012   #176
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I think it is a standard 903/905 finder, but mounted inside a metal frame that provides a higher mounting point for the flash unit. I can just make out the rubber eyecup. The finder is pretty big compared to the earlier version.
Yes, that's a standard 903/905 SWC finder. The bracket around it provides a flash unit mounting ... with the finder fitted in the accessory shoe as normal, there's nowhere to mount a flash. The bracket gives a place to mount both finder and flash.

G

Old 12-22-2012   #177
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
...If that Hasselblad C 50 lens hood for the Distagon 50mm works without vignetting, I'd nab it as they run in the $65-90 range, where the C 38 hoods I've found are going for $150-$250.
A little spate of Ebay hunting and I've located and ordered

- Hasselblad filter retaining ring C
- Hasselblad 50 C lens hood
- Hasselblad 38 C lens hood
- Hasselblad diffusion (soft focus) filter
- Hasselblad green filter
- Hasselblad lens cap C

I found three 38 C lens hoods for $250, $250 and $165 BIN pricing respectively. So I ordered a mint condition 50 C hood I found for $40 to give it a try ... then, an hour later, I found another 38 C hood in good but not beautiful condition for $70, mis-labeled. Ach.

At least this way, I'll know for sure whether the 50 C hood vignettes on the SWC compared to the 38 C hood. :-/

It's pouring outside at the moment. Perhaps I should load the camera and be ready if it stops for a little bit...

G

Old 12-22-2012   #178
bigeye

3mm difference between the 38 and 50 shade.

Charlie

I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it. - Steven Wright

Old 12-22-2012   #179
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeye View Post
3mm difference between the 38 and 50 shade.
Thanks! I saw that somewhere. But does the 50 lens shade vignette on the SWC? That's the question no one seems willing to answer ...

It seems unlikely, most manufacturers err on the conservative side and make their hoods too short to be most efficient. But there seems no way to know for sure without trying them both in a test setup.

G

Old 12-22-2012   #180
raid
Dad Photographer

Use the ground glass back at different aperture setting to chek it out.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Old 12-22-2012   #181
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Use the ground glass back at different aperture setting to chek it out.
Yes. But you still have to have both to compare them.

G

Old 12-23-2012   #182
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Yes. But you still have to have both to compare them.

G
If the less costly shade does not vignette, then I woud keep it. Maye someone who uses the hood on the SWC can comment on this issue.

Old 12-23-2012   #183
Evanjoe610

Sorry for chiming in so late, been busy with my roof repair from Hurricane Irene.
Raid and Godfrey, the older 50mm C lenshood will vignette at the outer edges of your image frame.

If you have the original 38mm C lens-hood for the SWC, SWC/M, use it as it has a little lip to allow you to mount the correct Bay 63 filters for use with the hood.

The filter retaining rig will only hold the filter, and not include the hood. Its one or the other. I do not have the older 50mm C lens to test out this theory, but believe that it works similarly like the filter to original lens-hood setup as described above.

Its best to buy the original Hasselblad filters if possible. The 3rd Party vendors such as Tiffen, Hoya, Kodak , H & H did make Series 8 filters that will work on the SWC.

The main difference is positioning of the rear filter ring that faces in "near-contact" with the front of the 38mm Biogen front optical lens. If you have the original filters and compare it against the 3rd Party vendor, the portion of the filter that is flush with the filter ring must face the front of the lens and must sit in the3 front of the lesnhood. Don't be in haste and assume the filter will fit either way. THe seating of the filter glass flush up front allows the rear portion to have an "air distance" held in place by the actual filter ring. Look at the3 filter before you insert it into the lens-hood.

There were many reports back then of the front lens getting scratched or impacted by the filter. I bought my SWC from Ken Hansen Photo and remember Ken installing several of the buyers of this problem. I was on of those buyers. The SWC & SWC/M with the C lenses were sold by Ken Hansen whenever he got them in. Majority of the time it was sold out to the many young Japanese photographers to used it as a Point & Shoot camera.

I use an assortment of filters to supplement the original Hasselblad Series 63 filters. Majority of them are Hoya or Tiffen with MC coating. My SWC was converted to SWC/M when the upgrade kit was widely available for Polaroid back use.

Finders - I use the original finder as it is more solid then the newer OEM 903/905SWC finders. I have one of the newer finder for tripod use only. Not so sure of the quality of the Chinese made 903/905SWC finders on eBay.

As for straps, it was a choice of the thin leather strap, hand strap, newer nylon strap (I use all three) and the Domke Griper strap.

I use my SWC/M as a Point & Shoot when I travel overseas for medium format images. For all intend, it serves its purposes as a high quality camera.

Evan
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
If the less costly shade does not vignette, then I woud keep it. Maye someone who uses the hood on the SWC can comment on this issue.

Old 12-23-2012   #184
Godfrey
wonderment

Thanks, Evan! I remembered that about the glass offset in he Hasselblad Series 63 filters, one of the reasons I've hunted down only Hasselblad filters. Thankfully, I only need the orange and green for the most part .. :-)

So I've likely spent an extra forty bux for the 50 C hood. Oh well, I'll just resell it.

G

Old 12-23-2012   #185
Evanjoe610

Godfrey,

Since you have the 50mm lens-hood, why not shot one to two frames to see the vignetting at the outer corners could be used as part of the aesthetic overall image? If vignetting is an issue, then you could always post it for sale at a later point.

As for filters, I have the entire Hasselblad Series 63 filters purchased at camera show at different prices. Maximum price I ever paid was $25 each filter. The Hoya and Tiffen and B+W filters do offer an alternate choice if you need MC filters or filters not offer with the original Hasselblad filter set.

I love to use the SWC for architectural shots of buildings, ancient temples, and even bridges! I gave away many frames photos of the Golden Gate bridge I shot with my SWC from years ago.

Quote:
Thanks, Evan! I remembered that about the glass offset in he Hasselblad Series 63 filters, one of the reasons I've hunted down only Hasselblad filters. Thankfully, I only need the orange and green for the most part .. :-)

So I've likely spent an extra forty bux for the 50 C hood. Oh well, I'll just resell it.

G

Old 12-23-2012   #186
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanjoe610 View Post
Godfrey,

Since you have the 50mm lens-hood, why not shot one to two frames to see the vignetting at the outer corners could be used as part of the aesthetic overall image? If vignetting is an issue, then you could always post it for sale at a later point.
Of course ... :-)

Quote:
As for filters, I have the entire Hasselblad Series 63 filters purchased at camera show at different prices. Maximum price I ever paid was $25 each filter. The Hoya and Tiffen and B+W filters do offer an alternate choice if you need MC filters or filters not offer with the original Hasselblad filter set.
Camera Fairs have become much sparser around here lately. ... Used to be one every month. But I'll keep my eyes open at the next one.

Quote:
I love to use the SWC for architectural shots of buildings, ancient temples, and even bridges! I gave away many frames photos of the Golden Gate bridge I shot with my SWC from years ago.
Yes. Can't wait to get back into the swing of superwide shooting.

Old 12-23-2012   #187
Nokton48

Hey Evan!

Nice to see you over here. We have quite a history together, over on the Kiev Delphi Forum, where I have a different "handle". (Hassydan)

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
-Dan

Some of my older pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1813448...n/photostream/
Some of my even older pix: http://hassydan.tripod.com/

"There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept" -- W. Eugene Smith

Old 12-23-2012   #188
rlouzan

Dan,

Glad to see another RFF member that uses modified 283's. The only downside is that several units with reflectors, grids, snoots, clamps ... are as expensive as one or two dynalite kits .

Regards,
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Hi Chris,
It does look more like a metal frame, rather than a digital camera. I don't have a Superwide (yet!) and am not familar with the 903/905 finder, although I have heard the newer finders are somewhat improved over the older ones. Although it looks rather bulky, it is still quite an interesting-looking rig.

I use Stroboframe Brackets with my 500C/M and EL/M bodies, for shooting flash with Modified 283's, and Norman 200B strobes. These brackets put the flash about 12" directly over the top of the lens, which I think is the perfect position for medium-format on-camera flash units. Friedlander's adaption would accomplish about the same thing, I am guessing.

Old 12-23-2012   #189
Evanjoe610

Hi Dan,

Small World isn't it? Rick is the moderator on the Large Format Forum. Hopefully next Spring or Summer we will get a chance to get together for another shoot.!

Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year to you & your family too!

Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Hey Evan!

Nice to see you over here. We have quite a history together, over on the Kiev Delphi Forum, where I have a different "handle". (Hassydan)

Merry Christmas to you and your family!
-Dan

Old 12-23-2012   #190
Evanjoe610

Godfrey,

Camera shows are a scarcity nowadays... In the NYC/NJ vicinity where I live, the older camera shops are folding. Lens & Repro I discovered, has closed their doors. What remains is B & H Photo. Adorama, and Calumet Photo. The days of the bargain bins are over.. Hence the reasoning for visiting camera shows to find the odd and ends we need for our hobby or craft..

i have to take a look at "The Hasselblad Compendium" book by Rick Nordin to see exactly what Series 63 filters Hasselblad offered, but I believe I have the entire set plus additional filters from Hoya and Tiffen which complements what I lacked with the Hasselblad set. A rarity is a Polarizer filter from Tiffen , Soft Focus
and CloseUp from Hoya!

If I have any duplicate filters, I might sell them in the Classified Section. I will keep you updated..
Quote:
Of course ... :-)

Camera Fairs have become much sparser around here lately. ... Used to be one every month. But I'll keep my eyes open at the next one.

Yes. Can't wait to get back into the swing of superwide shooting.

Old 12-23-2012   #191
Nokton48

Evan,

Sounds good to me.

-Dan

Some of my older pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1813448...n/photostream/
Some of my even older pix: http://hassydan.tripod.com/

"There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept" -- W. Eugene Smith

Old 12-23-2012   #192
Godfrey
wonderment

Evan,

The Camera Fairs out here on the Left Coast are disappearing under pressure from Ebay for used gear sales. It's simply economics: Ebay poses a much much bigger audience/marketplace to sell gear into than a monthly swap meet.

I've got the Hasselblad Series 63 Orange filter in hand, ordered a Green and Diffuser which are on the way. That's probably all I need/want other than maybe an ND filter. If B+W still makes the Type 106 ND (six stops) in Series 8 for Hasselblad, that will be just about perfect. A two or three stop would be fine too. I've never really used much other than that, even before digital capture existed.

I have my copy of "The Hasselblad Compendium" somewhere around here still, I think. I might have given it to the friend that I sold my 500C/M kit to, tho. I'll have to look around after I get back from traveling ... out on the plane this afternoon... :-)

Everyone, have a good holiday!

G

Old 12-23-2012   #193
mfogiel

So, where are the photos Raid ?

Old 12-23-2012   #194
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
So, where are the photos Raid ?
I am using the SWC these days, and I need to get 5-6 rolls developed. I used the camera today. I hope that the images will look good. The past weeks were quite busy at work, but now I have Christmas break at the university.

Who still develops 220 film?

Old 12-23-2012   #195
Godfrey
wonderment

I look forward to seeing your photos!
I'll start shooting with the SWC next week.

Old 12-24-2012   #196
raid
Dad Photographer

Thank, Godfrey. I am getting used to the SWC, but I need to get the rolls developed to learn from my mistakes.

I have used it for close-ups of people, and for landscapes.

Old 12-28-2012   #197
Godfrey
wonderment

A follow up, now that I'm back from Xday traveling:

- seller heavystar responded to my query about the hood that would not take the filters by sending me another one that fits the filters perfectly.

- All the other bits I've ordered have arrived ... hoods, filters, etc. The "cheap" Hasselblad 38 C hood is a little beat up but nothing terrible ... I cleaned up the worn spots on the edges with a permanent black magic marker and it looks mostly respectable. The original Hassy hood(s) are heavier weight and thread into the lens more smoothly than the aftermarket hood, but now that I have one that fits the filters, they all work fine.

- I found a very cheap chimney viewfinder (KEH, BGN condition) and a very inexpensive 45 degree angle finder. Both are on their way.

I'll load the back tomorrow and go shoot a test roll. I've been looking forward to this all the time I was away. :-)

G

Old 12-28-2012   #198
sleepyhead

I have contemplated selling my SWC/M. I don't use it much. This thread has inspired me to try to use it more, and then decide whether to sell it or not.

Here's a photo from a few Chrsitmas's ago. It wouldn't have been possible to take with my Hasselblad 50mm lens on a V body because I couldn't back up any further.

Belated "Season's Greetings" to everyone, and Best Wishes for the New Year.

My flickr

Old 12-28-2012   #199
sleepyhead

Here are a couple more Hasselblad SWC/M shots:

My flickr

finders
Old 12-28-2012   #200
raid
Dad Photographer

finders

How will you use these two finders? Are they really needed?
Isn't the dof sufficient for photography with hyperfocal settings?

Congrats on getting all parts.

Quote:
A follow up, now that I'm back from Xday traveling:

- seller heavystar responded to my query about the hood that would not take the filters by sending me another one that fits the filters perfectly.

- All the other bits I've ordered have arrived ... hoods, filters, etc. The "cheap" Hasselblad 38 C hood is a little beat up but nothing terrible ... I cleaned up the worn spots on the edges with a permanent black magic marker and it looks mostly respectable. The original Hassy hood(s) are heavier weight and thread into the lens more smoothly than the aftermarket hood, but now that I have one that fits the filters, they all work fine.

- I found a very cheap chimney viewfinder (KEH, BGN condition) and a very inexpensive 45 degree angle finder. Both are on their way.

I'll load the back tomorrow and go shoot a test roll. I've been looking forward to this all the time I was away. :-)

G