Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Sony NEX / Full Frame Alpha non DSLR Cameras

Sony NEX / Full Frame Alpha non DSLR Cameras Sony does a lot of things well. Naming their cameras so the nomenclature makes sense is not one of them. The NEX series has now become the Alpha NEX series, not to be confused with their Alpha DSLRs. Huh ? IS the person who misnamed the Leica M10 the Leica M240 now working for Sony? The new full frame Alpha 7/7r are incredibly successful. I wonder how long it will take the other manufacturers to make their version of the 7/7r full frame cameras.

Sony to Launch a Full Frame Mirrorless NEX In One Year
Old 12-21-2012   #1
apodeictic

Sony to Launch a Full Frame Mirrorless NEX In One Year

Sony Alpha Rumors is reporting with almost complete certainty that Sony will release a full frame NEX mirrorless camera within the year. Read about it here:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-f...-32-megapixel/

Old 12-22-2012   #2
Addy101

Hmmm, i was hoping for a cheap(er) Alpha mount FF camera. Nex is nice, but there are no FF Nex lenses at this time. And a year is a huge time, meaning Sony can change its mind once again.

Anyway, Sony really is trying to make a big impact into the photographic world - Nikon and Canon must be worried!

(And I like a FF Nex, but I would've liked the other one first)

Old 12-22-2012   #3
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

No surprise there - they already have a HD video/motion picture FF E-mount camera. If that is not to be a dead end, more must follow...

Old 12-22-2012   #4
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

They would need to bring some new lenses to the market too, would they not? Or do the current NEX lenses cover full frame?

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Zorki I| Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Kiev 6C | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV | Exa
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | Kalloflex K2 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 12-22-2012   #5
ShinX414
camera geek

doesn't come as a surprise cuz they have announced that they were working on that possibilty for some time already.

Old 12-22-2012   #6
ShinX414
camera geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
They would need to bring some new lenses to the market too, would they not? Or do the current NEX lenses cover full frame?
as far as i know they have announced that some of the lenses cover a FF sensor

edit: sry for doubleposting

Old 12-22-2012   #7
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post
No. Currently the VG900 comes with a A-mount adapter, if you want to use any (Sony branded) FF lenses. But Sony announced a series of E-mount lenses for next year that have a new naming scheme - most authors I've read on the topic assume that these will fill that gap.

Old 12-22-2012   #8
bwcolor

Accepting this post as true, the real news is that Sony thinks that it can provide DSLR autofocus in a mirrorless camera. If so, bye bye Sony DSLR (EVF only).

They can't produce a full line of E-Mount quality lenses and clearly this is what is needed, at least on the wide end of things. So, they must be relying on A-Mount, Zeiss FF E-Mount and perhap a few initial FF E-Mount lenses at introduction. I hope that their efforts to include A-Mount compatibility doesn't result in a thicker camera body... ie. an A-Mount mirrorless camera.

Old 12-22-2012   #9
Matus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcolor View Post
I hope that their efforts to include A-Mount compatibility doesn't result in a thicker camera body... ie. an A-Mount mirrorless camera.
Pentax already did that (though only in APS-C) and I hope Sony is clever enough to learn from that ...

I am also curios about the lenses - in particular about the size. The second question that will be very interesting - how will be the corner performance with wide-angle M-mont lenses (IF the FF NEx will support them, which is to be seen).
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 12-22-2012   #10
lam
Dave

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!! *raises NEX-5n in the air ..

Old 12-22-2012   #11
peter_n
~

Well we'll see. I'm liking my NEX-7 and don't foresee selling it if a FF NEX is released. Double FL duty for some of my Leica lenses!

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-22-2012   #12
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
I hope that their efforts to include A-Mount compatibility doesn't result in a thicker camera body... ie. an A-Mount mirrorless camera.
They already HAVE A-mount compatibility, in the shape of two adapters. And they already have a FF E-mount video camera.

Old 12-22-2012   #13
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
The F23 uses a special B4 mount and the F35, 900R et all use the PL mount, Sony's most common. I guess I'm not up on this stuff.
NEX-VG900 is the (prosumer) E-mount beast: http://store.sony.com/p/Sony-NEX-VG9.../en/p/NEXVG900

Old 12-22-2012   #14
bwcolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
They already HAVE A-mount compatibility, in the shape of two adapters. And they already have a FF E-mount video camera.
How many FF A-Mount adapters are presently available? Given the supposed mastery of the mirrorless phase detection autofocus, a mirrored adapter would not be required, just one with the proper electrical connections. I would hope that it was only through an adapter that such lenses are compatible, but there was a previous rumor of a dual mount designed to mount E and A lenses.

Old 12-22-2012   #15
Brian Legge

Inability to use my M/LTM lenses at their 35mm focal lengths is the primary reason I didn't jump on the 5n. I have lenses that hit the tradeoffs I care about (focal length / aperture / ergonomics, etc) and the multiplier of the current sensor throws most of that out of wack.

If they can keep the price fairly reasonable this may be the first digital camera I've considered in a while.

Old 12-23-2012   #16
zwarte_kat

The VG900 is full frame e mount (as stated above).
It can take e mount lenses, at which time it automatically switches to crop mode.
And I can take alpha lenses and shoot full frame (or crop if it's an APC lens) with a supplied adapter. This camera can already shoot full frame 24MP raw stills with Leica lenses.

looking at the RX1, they can easily fit the full frame sensor in something that is about as big as an Xpro, and with an e mount.

I hope the video will be fully featured like the A99, so it can become my companion to my FS100 kickass e mount video cam.

Old 12-23-2012   #17
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
How many FF A-Mount adapters are presently available?
One - the LA-EA3 (a wide neck version of the LA-EA1) that only seems to ship with the VG-900.

Old 12-23-2012   #18
jarski

great rumor! maybe this dream is finally coming true.

Old 12-23-2012   #19
mfogiel

I am waiting for a 6x7cm NEX something, this way all my lenses will have a possibility to take the snaps of my cat ! ( which I don't have)

Old 12-23-2012   #20
NazgulKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKR View Post
Ah.. I got it. Thanks.

I just looked. The form factor is strange. It looks like a SiFi space craft.
It's a video camera...

And personally I wouldn't jump for joy. Most M mount wides aren't going to work too well with this camera at the corners and I doubt they'd bother to do a proper microlens array for the camera to handle them.

Old 12-23-2012   #21
Matus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
I am waiting for a 6x7cm NEX something, this way all my lenses will have a possibility to take the snaps of my cat ! ( which I don't have)
Well, if there would be an adapter for Mamiya 7 lenses ... I would even buy a cat
... per camera: Olympus XA , Jupiter J3 , Rolleiflex T, Mamiya 6, Ricoh GRDIII shots

Old 12-24-2012   #22
zwarte_kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NazgulKing View Post
It's a video camera...

And personally I wouldn't jump for joy. Most M mount wides aren't going to work too well with this camera at the corners and I doubt they'd bother to do a proper microlens array for the camera to handle them.
Not to mention that the whole experience of taking pictures and playing them back is a major hassle on this videocam.

Old 01-15-2013   #23
3dit0r

FF NEX? Just what I'm looking for. Can't wait!

Old 01-16-2013   #24
jsrockit

I hope a true camera company makes some good FF mirrorless cameras soon, because the Sony stuff just is too fiddly for me.

Old 01-16-2013   #25
boomguy57

This would almost certainly doom my desire for a digital M. Go Sony!

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." - Obi-Wan Kenobi