Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Other Digital Advanced Fixed Lens Compacts

Old 12-21-2012   #26
bwcolor

Sony seems to excel at technological expertise and I think that this was simply a demonstration as to what they can do. I've limited funds and honestly, my NEX-7, X100 and old 1DMKIII fill my digital requirements nicely, so there is no longer a real need for another camera. That said, I'll wait for a FF interchangeable mirrorless and it must have a viewfinder and if EVF, it better be a notch above the NEX-7 EVF. So, limited funds and no real need.

I considered the DP-2. It looks like a great camera for slow, methodical daylight shooting. Once again, I realized that more money spent gives me less to spend on FF. I've come to the point where I need to sell equipment to buy equipment. This makes for a more careful consideration of what I buy. I can buy the new Leica 'M'. but the price paid is selling more camera equipment.

Old 12-21-2012   #27
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by apodeictic View Post
And yet there's still people out there willing to fork out $2000 for an M8, which in terms of digital cameras is antiquated (6 years is ages in digital technology).
I'm one of them... a Leica rangefinder's a niche that's never cheap. At least it holds it value better than this sony will.

Old 12-21-2012   #28
NicoM

Though this camera is not for everyone, it's a huge step in the right direction. With analogue photography, there was a greater sense of equality. Though lenses and features did differ from one camera system to another, 35mm cameras all had access to the same film. The film played a huge roll in how images turned out. When digital came about, the premium for at full fram sensor was thousands more than P&S and APS-c cameras and the option the have that 35mm frame in a pocketable camera wasn't there.

The Sony RX1 is the answer to this. Sure, it is expensive. However, it'll only get cheaper with time.

I do agree that the accessory prices are outrageous. Sony is just taking advantage of the fact that the RX1 is a one of a kind at the moment. I don't expect prices to stay that way once the RX1 has some competitors in the market.

Old 12-21-2012   #29
Snowbuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
have you tried?

i use the lcd on the sony rx100 and it took a few tries before it was old hat...
Hmmm, ummmm, I tried on my Fuji X10 but I admit to not trying too hard. I must be an old grump.

Old 12-21-2012   #30
Snowbuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I'm one of them... a Leica rangefinder's a niche that's never cheap. At least it holds it value better than this sony will.
Count me in. I just bought an M8, and I can't wait for it to get here. Kinda weird as the new cameras hold no interest for me with the exception of the X-Pro1. That, and I can't afford the new M.