Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 01-08-2013   #301
wakarimasen

Can't decide if the meter is good on mine. Hope to try it out this week and develop at the weekend. I already have FD and Nikon F (albeit fewer lenses with the latter) so another system is not 'really' necessary, but the lenses seem really cheap and I like the style of the bodies.

Old 01-18-2013   #302
steveclem

Well the film came back, unfortunately I'd already exposed it, but never mind, it was mostly to check everything works as it should and so far it would appear so. I think.2012-12-12 14.15.34.jpg

Old 01-18-2013   #303
hrzlvn

This thread reminds me my Black XD-7 with MC 35/1.8 lost in San Francisco Airport last summer vacation. My first Film SLR bought when I was 16. Since then, never buy a Minolta Gear back

Old 01-20-2013   #304
colyn
sɐxǝʇ ɟo ǝʇɐʇs ןʍoq ʇsnp

I bought a dented and scratched up srT-201 today at the flea market for $45... However I was not interested in the body. I bought it for the 58mm f/1.2 and 16mm f/2.8 lens which were in excellent condition with no damage..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 01-20-2013   #305
wakarimasen

I just finished the film that came with my SRT101. The seller told me that I was an ISO 400 BW film. Unfortunately, when I opened the back to remove the finished film for developing, I found an ISO 200 colour Fujifilm

Old 01-20-2013   #306
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakarimasen View Post
I just finished the film that came with my SRT101. The seller told me that I was an ISO 400 BW film. Unfortunately, when I opened the back to remove the finished film for developing, I found an ISO 200 colour Fujifilm
That is a bummer. Hang in there and retest with a reliable emulsion.

Some of my older pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1813448...n/photostream/
Some of my even older pix: http://hassydan.tripod.com/

"There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept" -- W. Eugene Smith

Old 01-20-2013   #307
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
I bought a dented and scratched up srT-201 today at the flea market for $45... However I was not interested in the body. I bought it for the 58mm f/1.2 and 16mm f/2.8 lens which were in excellent condition with no damage..
So you got $600-$700 worth of lenses (Ebay prices) for $45? Amazing.

"There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept" -- W. Eugene Smith

Old 01-20-2013   #308
colyn
sɐxǝʇ ɟo ǝʇɐʇs ןʍoq ʇsnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
So you got $600-$700 worth of lenses (Ebay prices) for $45? Amazing.
Hey! I'm happy.....the seller wondered why anybody would buy film gear since as in his words "film is no longer available"..and this stuff is useless...

I had the 16mm years ago and was still kicking myself for selling it so I am happy now. I'm going to give it a try on my G1 tomorrow.

I'll also have to give the 58mm a try also.

Got some more film coming in from freestyle in a few days..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

My Minolta Electroflash Model 1.
Old 03-01-2013   #309
Nokton48

My Minolta Electroflash Model 1.

Today I am test-shooting with a new lens (for me), the 28mm F2.5 MC Rokkor. This is a great lens, had another one recently, but gave it away, to my older Son, who has an SRT-202. So, I needed a replacement. This one seems OK so far, but has some dark yellowing of the glass.

I wonder if putting it in a sunny windowsill for a couple of weeks would clear the glass? Anybody here try this?

Also using my original SRT strobe unit, the Minolta Electroflash 1. I have wanted one of these since my days back in High School. I knew a guy on the yearbook staff that used this one with a Nikkormat, and -liked- it. I recently searched for this particular strobe for two years, and finally found one, with original box, papers, cords, etc. It works perfectly, developed negatives look right on in terms of power output, etc. I am amazed that the capacitor in this thing still works like a champ.

Minolta SRT equipment still rocks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (42.7 KB, 30 views)

Old 03-01-2013   #310
mynikonf2
...new old stock

Location: ...a resident of the Virgo Galactic Supercluster or thereabouts...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Today I am test-shooting with a new lens (for me), the 28mm F2.5 MC Rokkor. This is a great lens, had another one recently, but gave it away, to my older Son, who has an SRT-202. So, I needed a replacement. This one seems OK so far, but has some dark yellowing of the glass.

I wonder if putting it in a sunny windowsill for a couple of weeks would clear the glass? Anybody here try this?

Also using my original SRT strobe unit, the Minolta Electroflash 1. I have wanted one of these since my days back in High School. I knew a guy on the yearbook staff that used this one with a Nikkormat, and -liked- it. I recently searched for this particular strobe for two years, and finally found one, with original box, papers, cords, etc. It works perfectly, developed negatives look right on in terms of power output, etc. I am amazed that the capacitor in this thing still works like a champ.

Minolta SRT equipment still rocks

Congrats on your find. It's great when you can actually find something you have been searching for for a long time, like your strobe. Maybe this strobe did not see much use & that's why it's still in the box & still working? The only thing I've picked up lately is a 58/1.4-PF to put on my XE-7.

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 03-04-2013   #311
mynikonf2
...new old stock

Location: ...a resident of the Virgo Galactic Supercluster or thereabouts...
I know there are some serious XK users/collectors that frequent this thread so while looking through KEH inventory I noticed a high/mag finder for the XK in LN- condition for just $49. Seems like such a good deal that I almost bought it myself & I don't even own a XK !!!

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35m...c=80985&r=WG&f

“Light scratches consistent with age and wear”

Old 03-05-2013   #312
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynikonf2 View Post
I know there are some serious XK users/collectors that frequent this thread so while looking through KEH inventory I noticed a high/mag finder for the XK in LN- condition for just $49. Seems like such a good deal that I almost bought it myself & I don't even own a XK !!!

http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-35m...c=80985&r=WG&f
I bought one of those from KEH, right after I got my XK from them, and I would recommend it. I used to have the same type of finder on my Nikon F2's (the "stovepipe"), and it is very useful in some venues.

I did wrap some black electrical tape around the "tube", once I set the focus to my individual eyesight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (72.7 KB, 22 views)

Old 03-08-2013   #313
Rodchenko
Olympian

My son bought me an SRT-303b a couple of years ago. He knows nothing about photography, but knows I like old cameras and came across rather a bargain, with the 50/1.7 and a 135 lens.

I must admit I was a bit baffled. I've never been a fan of SLRs, and I'd just sold my DSLR. As my previous SLR had been an Olympus, the Minolta felt like a complete tank. Finding it used mercury batteries was just the capper, and the camera sat there until recently.

Getting re-enthused about photography, particularly with the prospect of a baby on the way, I found out about replacement batteries, and I've taken the Minolta out a few times now.

Sure, it's a bit of a beast, and the mirror makes a racket, but it's quite intuitive to use. I don't particularly like the 50mm fov, but it's a nice bright lens in use, and I enjoyed it.

I've bought a zoom off eBay (hope it arrives today) so I can get a bit of a wide angle.

I have to confess, though, that it's got me thinking about running an SLR, and I realise I'd be much happier with an OM-2.

Old 03-09-2013   #314
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodchenko View Post
My son bought me an SRT-303b a couple of years ago. Finding it used mercury batteries was just the capper, and the camera sat there until recently.
I also have an SRT-303b, I believe that is the European designation of the SRT. For batteries I used the CRIS MR9 adapter, which utilizes the Eveready 386, and is available online for about $30. Alternatively you can have a repairman alter the circuitry in the camera, Greg Stelz converted three of my SRT's to take the Everady 357, and I'm very happy with the meters in all of my rebuilt SRT's.

http://www.criscam.com/mercury_battery_adapters.php

Here is a cheaper alternative to the MR9 battery adapter, somewhat similar in design:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261181175467...84.m1423.l2649

No personal experience with it, but it seems to get good reviews that I have read. The price is certainly right at $5.99US

Old 03-09-2013   #315
Rodchenko
Olympian

I got a couple of modern replacement batteries, and the meter works very well.

I took the Minolta out for a wander today with my son and his Canon (I'm trying to get him into photography, and it seems to be working). I think I got a variety of good shots, despite the gloom (and the rain).

Then, when I got home, the 28-70 zoom had arrived, and I want to go out all over again...

Old 03-12-2013   #316
AlwaysOnAuto

Really love this little camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_2379copy (Custom).jpg (74.9 KB, 34 views)

More Original SRT Accessories.
Old 03-15-2013   #317
Nokton48

More Original SRT Accessories.

I have wanted a Minolta Panoramic Head, which was one of the original accessories. Last year, I won an Ebay auction for one (at a good price), they always seem to cause bidding wars for this item, so I'm not the only one looking for one. Anyway when it arrived, the click-stop detent parts were missing, although the cosmetic condition of the unit was good. Last week I won another auction for one (this time only $9.00!) and it has a perfectly functioning detent mechanism. Combining the best parts from both units, I ended up with a good functioning, good-looking unit for a reasonable price

The Minolta SRT Panorama Head allows you to make between ten and thirty overlapping photographs, using the 35mm, 55mm, 58mm, 100mm, and 135mm Rokkor lenses. The result is a 360 degree sweep, which will be fun and cool to try out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (62.9 KB, 16 views)

Old 03-22-2013   #318
kyonthinh

I just got one X-600 for 35 usd, they seem rare, and I dont know much about their price.

Old 03-23-2013   #319
racoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
I too have been using srT's since the late 60's and the 70's. These are some of the best SLR's ever made and the Rokkor glass is second to none.

This is my favorite user SLR.

This is one of my favorite manual cameras and the one pictured here is identical to the rig I'm using at present. It's a beautiful camera, simple, straightforward, and most efficient, and this lens is one of my favorite 50/1.4 lenses from any manufacturer.

Andy

Old 03-23-2013   #320
Clay

I have two Minolta SR-T101 cameras, still going fine.
Really like my 200 & 300mm Rokkor lenses. Backup for my
Nikon F2AS gear. The first camera I bought from a buddy who bought it at the PX at Subic Bay, Philippines when he was
serving in Vietnam. Has seen a lot of history, wish it could
talk!

Best regards,

/Clay

Last edited by Clay : 03-23-2013 at 13:49. Reason: spelling

Classic Combo.
Old 04-05-2013   #321
Nokton48

Classic Combo.

Good for day trips, one body travels in the Swedish Medical Camo bag, the other over my shoulder. My preference is for high-speed lenses, so I have the 35mm F1.8 MC Rokkor, and the 85mm F1.7 MC Rokkor. And a lot of Eastman 5222 Double-X film, my current favorite. Two matching Red Ringneck Lizard (from Morgan at Cameraleather) covered SRT101 bodies, both recently overhauled by Greg Stelz, who as far as I am concerned, is -The Man-. Not lightweight equipment, but very reliable and comfortable to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (60.7 KB, 37 views)

Old 04-05-2013   #322
Laviolette

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoll View Post
This is one of my favorite manual cameras and the one pictured here is identical to the rig I'm using at present. It's a beautiful camera, simple, straightforward, and most efficient, and this lens is one of my favorite 50/1.4 lenses from any manufacturer.

Andy
Agree. I love the quality of this 50/1.4 wide open, and stopped down it is really sharp. The way it render colour is superb, too.

Old 04-05-2013   #323
steveclem

I'm pleased to see somebody looking after these old beauties, they are really nice cameras to hold and use.

Old 04-05-2013   #324
Rodchenko
Olympian

Took my SRT for a walk this morning, and enjoyed photographing flowers using the macro setting on the zoom. I don't like this camera except when I'm using it.

Old 04-08-2013   #325
Sarcophilus Harrisii

I've finally capitulated, partly because of this thread. Bought a SRT101 body on line last night. I have a 101b that seems to be working perfectly, but I wanted the mirror lockup of the original. The purchase comes from a reliable seller I've used before so should be good, hopefully. I have around a dozen Minolta lenses that fell into my lap for free some time back, and people generally talk well of the glass, so I thought I should see for myself. I still think they're an ugly design on the inside (what the hell is a string pulley doing under the top cover? Yuck!). But they seem to keep on working (mostly) and are attractive enough on the outside.
Cheers,
Brett