Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 12-19-2012   #2901
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Conrad View Post
I just read that those FTL m42 lenses were thought to have been manufactured
to Olympus' specs by someone other than Olympus. Mamiya maybe?
Now that would be funny if Mamiya is the one.
I have a Mamiyaflex TLR with a Zuiko lens on it.

Winders, Grips
Old 12-20-2012   #2902
Leeston

Winders, Grips

Hi

Long time lurker and short time poster.

Background...I have two OM-2's, one OM-2N, Lens are 300 4.5,200 4, 135 3.5, 50 1.4, 50 1.8, 50 3.5, 35 2, 35 2.8, 24 2.8.

Whilst recovering from a triple bypass (all good now..thanks) I have had the time etc to read pretty much all of the posts in this thread, I have found very, very little mention of winders, personally I have a winder 2 attached to all three of my camera's, I have always felt and appreciated the extra heft they supply, plus the added grip value, interesting that the new OM-D EM-5 has a very similar grip as a add on, they have certainly maintained heritage.

Maybe it is because I have come from a Nikon f5 and F100 (with grip) before I saw the the OM light, thus I have gotten used to the weight etc.

So I guess my post is this, does anybody else use the winder 2 etc or do you take on board the the slim weight etc philosophy of original Olympus concept.

I really do feel that I appreciate the extra weight etc when using 200 & 300 lens, is that a valid feeling...I always use my camera's with the winders irregardless of the lens used.

Anyway , all things said this is a great thread and I am glad I have finally contributed in some small way.

By the way Keith, you are a Aussie legend and fly the flag high....love your shots and your rural aspect.

Cheers from Oz

Lee

Old 12-20-2012   #2903
wblynch

I have 2 Winder-2's that came my way. I have tried them out but not felt compelled to actually use them. They seem to double the weight of an OM and make things a lot larger.

I once went down to photograph an historic steam train passing by and the winder would have definitely been useful for that event.

By happenstance I got an original Olympus leather cover to fit an OM with the winder. It came in a box of stuff. I didn't know what it was for at first but after receiving my first winder it dawned on me.

Old 12-20-2012   #2904
sreed2006

I sometimes use a Winder 2. It never has been comfortable when I use the camera handheld. There's a little chrome piece of metal (for a strap?) that sticks out at the bottom right, and it pokes my palm, and irritates the heck out of me. The Winder 2 does come in very handy when the camera is mounted on a tripod, though, and that is what I use it for the most now.

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 12-25-2012   #2905
Joe Vitessa

The Winder 2 is permanently attached to my OM-2n. Really like how the camera balances with it mounted. Plus, it's fast enough to shoot my kids!

Old 12-28-2012   #2906
Marihino

I made it through this whole thread!

I have been lusting after an OM-2n ever since I saw one in a magazine as a kid who was just starting to take pictures with an old Zorki in eastern Europe. About seven years ago I got myself one! It came with a 50mm/1.8, then I added 50mm/1.4, 35mm/2 and 85mm/2 (all silvernose, bought "as seen" from an internet shop for prices which nobody would believe here now, turned out to be perfectly good except for the 35mm which had a lot of tiny cleaning scratches on the front element, adding certain glow to that otherwise nice lens). I also had some accessories, like Winder 2, teleconverter 2x, some flash heads etc.

Then a couple years later in a dark moment of my mental powers I sold the lot. Only managed a year or two without it, so I started buying again - first came a black OM-1n with a silvernose 50mm/1.4, and it still is my favourite rig. Then I cheaply won an auction on a silver OM-2n with a MC 50mm/1.8, and few days later another silver OM-2n. Nobody else was bidding, the description said that the camera seems to be broken (of course it turned out to have a dead battery) and comes with "a lens". The "a lens" I recognized on the tiny picture to be an MC 50mm/1.4, and that made me place the bid. It was that, not a >1.1M (a >1M though, even if it doesn't change anything), looking almost new, but with not-working DOF preview button. I also got a mint 135mm/3.5 (13) and, also mint (maybe not anymore, as I use it a lot), 28mm/2.8 (40).
I think I found a bargain 35mm/2 again, this time the very latest version which actually says "MC" on the rim. I've seen it in a little shop few days ago, and will be back there next week to grab it (I don't think a lot of potential Zuiko lovers would find it in a place like that). Seems to be mint, 100.
I also always look out for another 85mm/2, these are sooo expensive now though. I definitely paid less than a hundred squids for it the last time, stupid me to have it sold!
Current bunch then:
OM-1n black (used without batteries)
2x OM-2n silver
50mm/1.8 MC
50mm/1.4 SC silvernose
50mm/1.4 MC (I guess I should A/B/C test these three, trying to come up with ideas for test shoots)
28mm/2.8
135mm/3.5

This thread actually, as someone joked several pages ago, is one of the best OM-lore sources on the net.

Old 12-29-2012   #2907
Ade-oh

I used to use the Winder 2 which I think is a useful accessory and can improve the grip on OM's if you have big hands, but I prefer the Motordrives with the Control Pack screwed on. These are much more solid and the Motordrive 2 is, in my opinion, the best add-on drive I've ever used: smaller and much less noisy than my Nikon MD-4.

BTW, if anyone wants a Winder 2, I still have one left: yours for the cost of postage and a box from London. PM me if interested.

Old 01-05-2013   #2908
TXForester

OM2s 50/1.8 expired Fuji 200

Same lens on Canon 10D

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage. ― H.L. Mencken

Old 01-06-2013   #2909
Marihino

My setup:
OM-1n (black), two OM-2n, two 50mm/1.4, one 50mm/1.8, 28mm/2.8, 135mm/3.5

Old 01-06-2013   #2910
ronnies

Just added an OM1n (my first single digit OM) and a second OM10 to the collection. They both came with 50/1.8s as well as a 28/2.8 and a 35-70/3.5-4.5. There's also a Vivitar 75-300/5.6 that I can't find out much about. Two flashes too, a T32 and a T20.

Ronnie

Old 01-06-2013   #2911
HarryW

Was watching a mint 50 mm f1.4 with a s/n over 1.1M on the auction site. Had always wanted one of these but I guess I will have to stick with my f1.8 a wee bit longer.
Unbelievably this went for 177.60. Guess that some folks are using up their Christmas present money and the seller will probably think that it's Christmas all over again.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3210485973...84.m1438.l2649

Regards
Harry

Old 01-06-2013   #2912
Gregoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryW View Post
Was watching a mint 50 mm f1.4 with a s/n over 1.1M on the auction site. Had always wanted one of these but I guess I will have to stick with my f1.8 a wee bit longer.
Unbelievably this went for 177.60. Guess that some folks are using up their Christmas present money and the seller will probably think that it's Christmas all over again.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3210485973...84.m1438.l2649

Regards
Harry
The best way I found to get one was when it was for sale with a camera. The 2 digit OM cameras in particular sell for very little, and you can often find one with a 50mm 1.4 for less than the lens would sell for alone. The only downside is that if you are looking for >1.1M, you have to look at each and every picture for the SN.

Incidentally, that is also a good way to find a Made in Japan 50mm 1.8. I think they were bundled with some of the 2 digit OM' s because I see them sold together a lot.

- Greg

Old 01-07-2013   #2913
Marihino

got the 35mm f/2! Happy.

Old 01-07-2013   #2914
Jockos

Sold my 21/3.5 to get a 24/2, received the new lens today albeit not what I expected:

A ton of haze on the backside of the front element

Still waiting for seller response..

Old 01-07-2013   #2915
Marihino

what a bummer :/

Old 01-10-2013   #2916
Noll

I suppose that's an expensive lens to risk a DIY cleaning....but haze on the backside of the front element usually isn't hard to clean. John Hermanson at Zuiko.com should still service it, too, if you can get a partial refund from the seller.

Old 01-12-2013   #2917
TXForester

Just to remind you guys that Zuikos are on cameras other than OMs.

35RC The meter cuts in and out, so these two were guesstimates on exposure. Film is Memories 200.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage. ― H.L. Mencken

Old 01-13-2013   #2918
Jockos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noll View Post
I suppose that's an expensive lens to risk a DIY cleaning....but haze on the backside of the front element usually isn't hard to clean. John Hermanson at Zuiko.com should still service it, too, if you can get a partial refund from the seller.
I tried to clean it, but the haze just won't come off. Luckily the partial refund I received will cover a new front element from John, so I'm eagerly waiting

The front element is very easy to replace on this lens, only one retainer ring. Wouldn't want to mess with the ones in the optical cell behind it though..

Old 01-14-2013   #2919
flip
良かったね!

90/2 macro on 4ti
APX100 rodinal

Old 01-14-2013   #2920
Mystyler

Hey flip, is the 90mm f2 worth the price of admission? Your photo looks fantastic.

I've never heard a bad word about it, except regarding price. I can't decide if the price is high because it is great in its own right, or just rare.

Old 01-14-2013   #2921
flip
良かったね!

Mystyler, I have the 21/2, 50/2, and 90/2; they are all excellent -- macro or otherwise. They comprise my kit for when I need flexibility that RF doesn`t provide.

Old 01-14-2013   #2922
steveniphoto

do they make pistol grips for the OM-1? i would love to get one if they do.

here are a few shots from a not so recent roll i recently had developed.

Old 01-14-2013   #2923
ronnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveniphoto View Post
do they make pistol grips for the OM-1? i would love to get one if they do.
The Motordrive for the OM1 had a pistol grip type battery holder.

Here's my first single digit OM.

Olympus OM1n by F4ronnie, on Flickr

Ronnie

Old 01-17-2013   #2924
Noll

Quick question, I just cleaned the rotting foam off of my OM1 prism. Do I need to replace that foam with another insulating material or is no further action necessary?

Old 01-17-2013   #2925
ferider

Nope, just close it up, and watch the cables.

See also here: http://olympus.dementix.org/Hardware...val/index.html