Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

vignetting with wide angles
Old 12-18-2012   #1
jett

vignetting with wide angles

I'm interested in getting a protective filter for my nikkon 20mm f3.5 UD. I believe that wider lenses should have slim filters to prevent vignetting.

-Anyone know if I should have a slim filter for this lens?

But how would one know if a slim filter is required? Is it just a case by case basis?

I am perhaps interested in the cv 21mm f4.0 (rangefinder)... does that one need a slim filter?

Old 12-18-2012   #2
funkydog

Nah, don't get yourself in a twist over the slim filter hoopla. The 20/3.5 UD has been around for forty years or so. I'm pretty sure you'd have heard something by now if there have been vignetting issues with standard filters.

Old 12-18-2012   #3
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Standard filter for the CV is fine!

Old 12-18-2012   #4
jett

excellent! Then which lenses generally require slim filters? Is it just for those who want the absolute best from their lenses?

Honestly, I notice some vignetting but I figured that it was from the design. Nothing to disturb me as it is something that I do not mind...it even adds to the image...I just do not want holga-like results....

Old 12-18-2012   #5
funkydog

I'm firing blanks at thin air while grabbing at straws but I'm guessing thin filters evolved due to some need for them. I'd never heard of slim filters before the 1990s and advent of 17-35 zooms. Ergo, lenses before that didnt need slim filters? Someone with more extensive experience with filters and UWA lenses might be able to chime in.