Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

Old 11-20-2012   #51
raid
Dad Photographer

I think that the M9 is an overall better camera than the M8, while the latter lucked out for good B&W performance due to increased IR sensitivty.
The rest is personal preferences and opinions, just like I have an opinion.

Both cameras are good cameras.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Old 11-20-2012   #52
Tom Niblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I think that the M9 is an overall better camera than the M8, while the latter lucked out for good B&W performance due to increased IR sensitivty.
The rest is personal preferences and opinios, just like I have an opinion.

Both cameras are good cameras.
I agree. I love my M9. But I've sold or traded all of my other small cameras and need a back up body. While I'd love a Monochrom, I'm not sure I can afford a one trick pony. Another M9 is the logical choice. An M8 would work equally as well except for swapping filtered and non filtered lenses or adding another lens in the 25-28 focal length range. With a 28mm lens like an Elmarit, the M8 it becomes a $4500 camera... vs a $4500 used M9 vs a $7000 new M.

I'll wait to see the reviews and sample images before deciding how to invest.

Old 11-20-2012   #53
raid
Dad Photographer

I am not worried about new cameras emerging. I have trust in hands on reports by experienced photographers who advised me to get the M8 and then the M9. I bought both as used cameras, and I am using the lenses that I already own.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

Old 12-12-2012   #54
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
They just don't hold up at larger sized compared to more modern cameras... up close that is. But I'll admit they don't bad compared to my 400 speed film 12x18" prints from the 90s... about the same.
Ok, I have to quote myself and correct myself... I up-rezzed a M8 file to M9 size and made 20x30" prints from both and the differences in sharpness and resolution between the two were a lot closer than I thought they'd be. I guess the initial set of prints I made was with worse glass (35mm color skopar vs. c-biogon/summicron) and may have had a bit of user error involved with regard to focus. I'm actually impressed with the M8. I also made a print at this size from the Sigma DP2m and it impressed me more than both Leicas. Very happy.

Old 12-12-2012   #55
Lss

That sounds reasonable. I was quite surprised at your original findings.

Old 12-12-2012   #56
ray*j*gun

I never used an M9 but I LOVE my M8u and have no regrets. I bought it a cpl of months ago and if I had known how great the thing works I would have not waited this long.

Old 12-17-2012   #57
AncientCityPhoto

I still use an M8 for various work. The M8 is fantastic...if you use CARE. You need to be intentional. dynamic range is tight on the M8 especially as ISO increases. You need to be well aware of this and expose 100% accurate the higher you go for your intended image. No shoot and hope for good. You need to be intentional. I can't stress this enough. Even at base ISO, the images are fantastic but will show grain should you screw it up. I can print big with the M8 no problem...if the images are made carefully, processed carefully, and sized carefully for my intended output. (do we see a trend here...)

The M8 is also the only camera (and the M9) that gives me images that I consistently look at and say, "wow...i can't believe my image looks like this!" Often I get a very unique look where I feel I can walk right into the photo. There is a depth and drawing with lenses that I cannot get from any dslr or other mirrorless.

The M8 is well worth the money...if you intend on being VERY intentional and knowing what you are doing, and what output result you are after. This camera takes work, but will reward you greatly if you do the work. Much more than any other camera.

This is not a "casual" camera in my experience. Though, I often use it as one for fun family snapshots when I'm not working. (I shoot commercial architecture and panoramic imaging) When I do shoot casually with the M8...i get casual results. They are good, but nothing amazing. You have to do the work for amazing.

This is why I still use my M8
Old 12-17-2012   #58
eleskin

This is why I still use my M8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31276326@N03/8281573560/

I printed this on 17"x27" custom cut Exhibition Fiber. I still cannot believe how well the M8 handles scenes like this.

M8, 35 1.2 Nokton ISO 640
Old 12-17-2012   #59
eleskin

M8, 35 1.2 Nokton ISO 640

I know I linked this on Flickr. I thought I would post it here too. The M8 is great for low light carnival shots. This was taken at the Great Allentown Fair last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8281573560_d461f8f2a6.jpg (108.7 KB, 33 views)

Old 12-26-2012   #60
kshapero
shooter

I have a CV 40/1.4. How would I use this on an M8? Coding, etc.?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

Old 12-26-2012   #61
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

I would code it as a pre-asph Summilux 11869

jaapvphotography

Old 12-26-2012   #62
LCT

Are you sure Jaap? 11869 is a rare lens with no Leica coding AFAIK.

Old 12-26-2012   #63
LCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
I have a CV 40/1.4. How would I use this on an M8? Coding, etc.?
I have no experience with this lens but you might wish to code your Nokton 40/1.4 like a Summilux 35/1.4 asph (011101) as suggested by Carsten Whimster (http://www.whimster-photography.com/...des/index.html).
I don't know if the flange of the lens must be filed to bring up the 24/35 frames though.

Old 12-26-2012   #64
gdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleskin View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31276326@N03/8281573560/

I printed this on 17"x27" custom cut Exhibition Fiber. I still cannot believe how well the M8 handles scenes like this.

That is a very nice shot eleskin.

Thanks gdi for nice comments about photo
Old 12-26-2012   #65
eleskin

Thanks gdi for nice comments about photo

Thank you gdi for your nice comments on this photo. This is the new direction I am taking in my work. Pure Americana with all it's magic and wonder! I regret I did not post this on RFF in higher size and resolution. I have trouble posting in the size I want. RFF is limited. The M8 is still a very powerful toll even today.

Old 12-26-2012   #66
Eric T

By today's standards, the M8 has too many flaws: IR filters needed for proper color rendering, a sensor that attracts dust like a magnet, poor high ISO performance above 640, and a very loud shutter. I have taken some great shots with my M8. I have enjoyed the camera. BUT the Fiji X-Pro1 is vastly superior in many ways. Get a Fuji and don't look back.

Old 12-26-2012   #67
fotomeow
name under my name

Having owned M's 6-9, I have only kept the 7 ........ and an RD1s, which will serve you better in the long run than an M8.
Suerte.

"HELP: I need an arm for my MOOLY!! (i'm serious, contact me if you know of one that is available!

Galleria RFF
[size=1]old stuff, new stuff, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't.

Old 12-26-2012   #68
raphaelaaron

Having been not even a month since selling my m8.2, and I already regret selling it.

It has taken some incredible shots.