Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Sony Fixed Lens Compacts

Sony Fixed Lens Compacts For the many Sony fixed lens digital compact cameras

RX100 slightly pimped
Old 12-12-2012   #1
andersju

RX100 slightly pimped

Just in case someone else has the same peeves... I bought an RX100 recently and while it's a fine camera, there were a few things that I really missed from my trusty old GRD: 1) grip, 2) accessory shoe (for an OVF) and 3) ability to turn off the LCD.

For 1), I got the JB Camera Designs RX100 grip-base. I looked at the Franiec grip but preferred the look of the JB one. It attaches to the tripod socket and unfortunately doesn't provide access to the battery... but especially with in-camera charging, I can live with that. The grip is very well-made, looks & works great. (Note that it comes with both a flat screw and a larger tripod screw (the one pictured below).)

For 2), I bought some strong double-sided tape and simply attached an accessory shoe taken from elsewhere. I use my old CV 28/35 mini-finder.

For 3), I got the "Delkin Devices DU3.0-M Universal Pop-Up Shade for 3.0-Inch LCD Screens". It's about $8 on Amazon. I don't care about the shade, I just like shooting with the LCD off sometimes, and it seems like it's not possible to turn it off on the RX100. I doubt Sony will change this with new firmware, so this will have to do.

All in all, slightly bulkier, but definitely worth it to me.

(Apologies for the crappy pictures, there's a distinct lack of daylight around here)

Old 12-12-2012   #2
umcelinho
Marcelo

cool pimping! I missed having an optical VF and being able to turn the LCD screen off for street shooting
• cameras & lenses

What I've seen around: flickr

Old 12-12-2012   #3
GaryLH

I like the ovf.. That is a good idea.

Gary

Old 12-26-2012   #4
Abbazz
6x9 and be there!

Nice setup.

For street shooting, I like to shoot from the hip with the FlipBac mirror anglefinder, using my RX100 like a digital Rolleiflex lookalike (sorry for the crappy low light iPhone pictures):

Cheers!

Abbazz

The 6x9 Photography Online Resource

Old 12-26-2012   #5
btgc

I think LCD can be switched off on all digicams since the beginning (as LCD consumes most of energy). I'm aware Sony isn't looking for easy ways (e.g. their MemoryStick) but don't think they are so proprietary to ignore digicam design basics.

Old 12-26-2012   #6
andersju

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgc View Post
I think LCD can be switched off on all digicams since the beginning (as LCD consumes most of energy). I'm aware Sony isn't looking for easy ways (e.g. their MemoryStick) but don't think they are so proprietary to ignore digicam design basics.
You'd certainly think so! It's simply not possible at the moment. All you can do is adjust the brightness a bit.

Abbazz: That looks great! I had no idea about this thing. Gotta order one. Thanks!

Old 12-26-2012   #7
dct

No way to switch off the screen of LCD-only P&S cameras. My old Panasonic FX-30 couldn't. Now I have a Canon S100 and I'm interested in a similar 24mm VF upgrade. But for the Canon too: The firmware has no LCD-off-mode.
BTW this is also a good LCD cover example; thanks for sharing. And I thought GAS is gone for a few weeks after X-mas...

Old 12-26-2012   #8
btgc

oh, I thought my poor DP1 is last camera, but no, it does a trick this Sony can't....

Old 12-29-2012   #9
unixrevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct View Post
No way to switch off the screen of LCD-only P&S cameras. My old Panasonic FX-30 couldn't. Now I have a Canon S100 and I'm interested in a similar 24mm VF upgrade. But for the Canon too: The firmware has no LCD-off-mode.
BTW this is also a good LCD cover example; thanks for sharing. And I thought GAS is gone for a few weeks after X-mas...
You all assume that all manufacturers build the same level of functionality into their hardware. "All digicams do this." "No digital cameras do this."

This is something some manufacturers allow and others don't. My trusty Optio A40 can be shot with the LCD screen turned off. Since there's no OVF i'm not sure why apart from serious need for stealth, but you can do it.

Sony, and others, simply don't see a reason to allow that.

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 12-29-2012   #10
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
You all assume that all manufacturers build the same level of functionality into their hardware. "All digicams do this." "No digital cameras do this."

This is something some manufacturers allow and others don't. My trusty Optio A40 can be shot with the LCD screen turned off. Since there's no OVF i'm not sure why apart from serious need for stealth, but you can do it.[...]
Good point. I didn't see why a LCD-only manufacturer should deliver this function. Nice to see some engineers thinking the bigger picture.

Old 04-26-2013   #11
Rang-er

Thanks for the pointer regarding the grip, Anders.
A user on Amazon, where the grip is sold, reported that it didn't really affect its pocketability. Could you give a feedback on that?

Old 04-26-2013   #12
andersju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rang-er View Post
Thanks for the pointer regarding the grip, Anders.
A user on Amazon, where the grip is sold, reported that it didn't really affect its pocketability. Could you give a feedback on that?
With the flat screw it adds about 5 mm (1/5") on the bottom, and the grip itself protrudes slightly less than the (retracted) lens, so I'd agree that pocketability is minimally affected.

Old 04-27-2013   #13
Rang-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersju View Post
With the flat screw it adds about 5 mm (1/5") on the bottom, and the grip itself protrudes slightly less than the (retracted) lens, so I'd agree that pocketability is minimally affected.
Great, I'll probably place an order then. Tack

Old 04-27-2013   #14
James24

I like the mini finder idea fitted into the accessory shoe. I might have to try that.

But it won't make it easier to put the RX100 back in my pocket...