Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

More "PROBLEMS" with M9
Old 12-10-2012   #1
Clark.EE

More "PROBLEMS" with M9

Is this usual?
Quite bad chromatic aberration/colour fringing.
CV 50 1.5 Nokton.
It has got a UV filter attached, would that cause this?

Is it just me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lights-24.jpg (13.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Lights-22.jpg (31.9 KB, 120 views)

Old 12-10-2012   #2
jsrockit

Yes, it is normal for the M9 with fast lenses ... just correct it in software. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_fringing

Old 12-10-2012   #3
douglasf13

Yep, this is pretty normal, and Lightroom 4 allows you to correct it (it does an okay job.) Granted, the Nokton 35/1.2, 35/1.4 and 50/1.5 do seem to have a bit more of a problem with it than other lenses, but most fast lenses have at least a little bit of it.

Old 12-10-2012   #4
ChrisN
Striving

Not just M9; many other digital cameras too.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 12-10-2012   #5
CaptZoom

Color fringing easily corrected in pp. not really worth worrying or combining about.

Old 12-10-2012   #6
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Join the digital club The sharper your lens and the better your sensor, the more fringing in high-contrast and overexposed situations will be seen. It depends on the CA characteristics of the lens designs too. All raw converters have defringing tools of varying effectiveness. Aperture is a bit hohum, ACR (lightroom-CS) pretty decent, Capture One the best.
Often the defringing is not 100% effective. In that case either use a brush to desaturate the offending color -it can be magenta, blue, green or red or a combination, or a color replacement brush.

jaapvphotography

Old 12-10-2012   #7
sepiareverb
-

Camera Raw has managed to deal with this very effectively whenever I have it crop up. Very simple fix.

Old 12-10-2012   #8
wogg

To emphasize what's said here, it's fixable in post proc with minor detail loss.

However, this really is probably the biggest weakness of the Nokton. I have it, and love its image quality, but have to think about conditions that produce this and avoid them if I'm trying to maximize initial output quality.

In contrast, the Zeiss ZM 50mm f/2 Planar has next to no CA at all on the M9. I've pretty much switched to using it instead, except for portrait work.

Old 12-11-2012   #9
Clark.EE

As an M8 user. I have rarely used the Nokton. Nice as it is.
35 is my preferred focal length, first a CV (on ebay at the moment).Then a Summarit.
I shall be more careful how I use it in future.
Especially as i only have LR 2!

Old 12-11-2012   #10
jmc56

It's an interesting question. I've an m9-P which as often as not has the 50mm Nokton and I haven't seen it -- which probably means I just haven't seen the right circumstance but as noted, it's a relatively easy thing to deal with. Within it's limits, the M9 sensor is just fine, but even when I bought it, as good as it was, also obvious that there are pushing the edge areas where other sensors would do better.

Old 12-11-2012   #11
Richard G

I got this recently in a very nice shot of a friend and his daughter against a window at f1.5 on the Sonnar. I hadn't thought the exposure through enough. Having learnt to manipulate red with the M9 digital sensor it was a short step up the spectrum to fiddle with purple.