Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Digital Cameras > Sigma / Foveon Cameras

Old 11-15-2012   #41
jsrockit

I'll continue to use my toy camera to make my insignificant little photos...

Old 11-15-2012   #42
dfatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Wood View Post
Sorry, trying to work within the parameters of the forum....
thanks for the photos, though a little larger might be better to see the detail this camera captures

HU-B&H special
Old 11-23-2012   #43
nlubis

HU-B&H special

Hi guys. Have been dreaming the Sigma DP1M for a while now, or maybe the DP2M .

B&H has them for -$150 until the 27th.

Old 11-23-2012   #44
jsrockit

Thanks for the head's up nlubis.

Old 11-25-2012   #45
loplop

Just a quick note: you MUST shoot RAW and process via SPP with these cameras. The JPEGs are indeed fairly soft and lacking in DR. A properly functioning DP1M will be quite noticeably sharper than a M8. It's also a fair sight sharper than my XPro. Of course, rendering is a little different, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, there. Sharpness isn't everything.

In any case... I've had my DP1M for a bit now and have enjoyed it quite a bit. I don't find focus to be too bad; in decent light it's quite good, in poor light it can hunt but the MF implementation is so much better than my XPro I don't care. Magnify in MF with a touch of a button and on half-press you get the full view of the frame to compose. Brilliant.

The camera in operation is quite fluid, and although it takes FOREVER to view a photo you just shot (you can keep shooting while it writes, just not view), the AF is far more accurate than my XPro so I don't feel the need to chimp. Shoot it like film.

I personally find the files beautiful, very much like slide film.

The negative is its very much like slide film!

I really love 28mm so I started with the DP1M, but I love the output so much I grabbed a DP2M at B&H's sale to put under the Christmas tree. I foresee using them quite like my XPro with the 28/50 duo.

Here's my shots so far on my Flickr. I haven't had time yet to take it into its natural element, but so far I've enjoyed it just for daily life photography.

Stalls
Old 11-30-2012   #46
nlubis

Stalls

I just got my DP1M. I think it might be defective.
The first sign was, I turn on the camera with the new out of the box battery. It turned on, with a low battery notice (to be expected), but I couldn't turn it off again.

Second, after the battery was charged, i formated a card, and proceeded to the process of upgrading the firmware. Smooth. But after that, when i tried to format the card again, it stalled.

Third, this morning, was excited to take my first photo, and after I hit the shutter, the display was on (blank with all the info) - so was the red light and I waited for about 4 minutes nothing happens. And to my understanding I could keep taking pictures while the camera writes the previous ones. Granted I'm using a slower card (Sandisk Extreme II).

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks.

Old 11-30-2012   #47
jsrockit

I would call Sigma one this one... my DP2m never did any of those things. I am using a very fast card though. Did you try a different card?

Old 11-30-2012   #48
nlubis

I've just tried it with a different card (Lexar Ultra). It seems to work now. Hope that's about it. Thanks.