Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Fixed Lens Advanced Compacts > Leica Fixed Lens Compacts

Leica Fixed Lens Compacts For the many and varied fixed lens Leica digital compact cameras

Barcelona photos
Old 11-10-2012   #1
jky

Barcelona photos

Here are a few from the trip... what a wonderful city!

Barri Gotic

Placa Catalunya

La boqueria

Old 11-10-2012   #2
robert blu
quiet photographer

Love that second one!!

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-10-2012   #3
mani

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Love that second one!!

robert
+1

Second image is a classic - so awesome you found a striking and unique way to capture a location that's been photographed by millions of people!

PS: I'm one of those millions - but none of my images were as great as this.

Going to Barcelona
Old 11-10-2012   #4
rgeorge911

Going to Barcelona

Hi,

These are very nice, especially the first. Just enough mystery...

I'm going on my first trip to Barcelona in a little over a week. Staying at La Rambla. Any suggestions for a first timer in the city?

Thanks for sharing these great shots.

Reed
My Lumix/Leica (and other) blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

Feel free to PM or email me at [email protected] with any pointers for Barcelona!!!

Old 11-10-2012   #5
Michalm

Thumbs up

By no means these pictures would make me wish to visit Barcelona but photos themselves are very good indeed.

Old 11-10-2012   #6
E.M

what wonderful photos , especially nr 2 and nr 1 .

Old 11-10-2012   #7
Pablito
coco frío

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorge911 View Post
Staying at La Rambla. Any suggestions for a first timer in the city?
Wonderful and very safe city but you are staying in the middle of pickpocket territory due to the swarms of tourists on La Rambla and environs. Hold tight onto your bag and if someone bumps into you, they probably stole your wallet.

Old 11-10-2012   #8
jky

Thanks everyone. Noth

Old 11-11-2012   #9
jenquest

Very nice pics indeed. Just returned from there myself with gazzilions of photos.

Common sense rules re. advice for first time visitors. When it gets crowded, keep your satchel/rucksack in front of you, not behind.

Try not to leave anything in back pockets. Any pockets with buttons/zips/velcro, button/zip/velcro them up.

Don't leave bags open etc. If you have to put your bag down, ie at a cafe/restaurant etc. then put one foot on the strap so if somebody tries to snatch it, they can't.

Don't forget to have a great time and take loads of pics. :-)

Old 11-11-2012   #10
Joao
Negativistic forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorge911 View Post
Hi,

I'm going on my first trip to Barcelona in a little over a week. Staying at La Rambla. Any suggestions for a first timer in the city?
As soon as you leave Barcelona, you will feel a permanent wish to return there. Again, and again. And it may last for the rest of your life. Be prepared !
Joao
TLR: Komsomolyets,Lubitel(2, 166),Flexaret, Yashica -D
SLRs: Kiev-10, Zenit (E, 3M, 122, 12XP,19, TTL), Kristall, Praktica (B200, BX20,) , two Olympus OM-2n

The world is one country

Old 11-11-2012   #11
bigeye

X2. I'd throw out that Barcelona is the contemporary capital of creativity, art and style.

I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it. - Steven Wright

Old 11-11-2012   #12
Spyro

Nice!
I know that in the 2nd one you probably stayed there waiting for a shadow to complete your frame, but I think it could be better without it. The shadow draws the eye away from the interesting fact that the tree shadows align with the lines of the building, making it a strange visual hybrid of nature and man made structures.

But it all depends what you want to communicate with your set, not sure if you're interested in such visual effects. I like it both ways anyway

Old 11-11-2012   #13
Thardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenquest View Post
Very nice pics indeed. Just returned from there myself with gazzilions of photos.

Common sense rules re. advice for first time visitors. When it gets crowded, keep your satchel/rucksack in front of you, not behind.

Try not to leave anything in back pockets. Any pockets with buttons/zips/velcro, button/zip/velcro them up.

Don't leave bags open etc. If you have to put your bag down, ie at a cafe/restaurant etc. then put one foot on the strap so if somebody tries to snatch it, they can't.

Don't forget to have a great time and take loads of pics. :-)

I would like to see them. I was there in 2007 and don't really remember much about the city.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 11-11-2012   #14
jky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
Nice!
I know that in the 2nd one you probably stayed there waiting for a shadow to complete your frame, but I think it could be better without it. The shadow draws the eye away from the interesting fact that the tree shadows align with the lines of the building, making it a strange visual hybrid of nature and man made structures.

But it all depends what you want to communicate with your set, not sure if you're interested in such visual effects. I like it both ways anyway
Thanks Spyro.
Yes, youre absolutely right. I did try without a person or shadow in that part of the frame, but felt it was too asymmetrical and that the empty white space was too overpowering.

Old 11-12-2012   #15
Nescio

So you just came back from your trip...! The white wall is from an ice rink they're setting up right now for the 2nd year. You made a pic of the Plaça Catalunya I've never seen before. And I live almost next door...

Quote:
Everything said about pickpockets is right, but if you've been in tourist cities before and know 2 or 3 basic rules, you'll be more than prepared. BCN by no means is a dangerous city.

I wouldn't mind to give you some tips, but since I've no idea of who you are, how old, what interests you have (photography apart, of course), how long you're staying and come with or without wife/partner/kids, etc, it's a bit difficult to give advice.

Just my two cents, though. As you'll probably go to visit the Parc Güell, take bus 24 - as many tourists do - on the Plaça Catalunya. But when everybody gets off, you don't. After some minutes the bus takes a very sharp, 180º hairpin curve. Go off at the SECOND stop after, and on your left is another entrance of the same park. You're still not very far away from the Gaudi area, but you''l have a much nicer walk with great sights of the city.

And to toss up another dime: do as the locals do. Have lunch at 14h, for example. Every thursday there's paella on the mid day menu everywhere. Don't have a paella anywhere with a sign that reads Paellador. That's prefab micro wave heated tourist munch. If you want to go local, try on thursday at "La Palmera" at the C/Jerusalem behind the Boquería market, at less than 5 minutes from your hotel. If you don't like it, it won't have cost you more than 10€.

Nescio

PS: If you give me a clue or PM me, I don't mind giving some more back. If not, enjoy your trip.

Old 11-12-2012   #16
RFluhver

I was in Barcelona a few years ago and found a few bars to visit. Dunno if these are still around, but check them out.

Old 11-12-2012   #17
jky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nescio View Post
So you just came back from your trip...! The white wall is from an ice rink they're setting up right now for the 2nd year. You made a pic of the Plaça Catalunya I've never seen before. And I live almost next door...

Nescio,
Yes, I just got back... what a wonderful city you have! I was wondering what they were setting up in placa catalunya as the whole place was blocked off.
We had a wonderful 3 week stay in Barcelona & enjoyed every minute of it.
jc

Old 11-12-2012   #18
Nescio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jky View Post
Nescio,
Yes, I just got back... what a wonderful city you have! I was wondering what they were setting up in placa catalunya as the whole place was blocked off.
We had a wonderful 3 week stay in Barcelona & enjoyed every minute of it.
jc
Good to hear you had a great time! And 3 weeks, wow, that's luxury, timewise, I mean. Only time can show some of the secrets any place has.

Nescio

Old 11-12-2012   #19
jenquest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thardy View Post
I would like to see them. I was there in 2007 and don't really remember much about the city.
Thanks for the interest, there's a constantly updated gallery on my site (see profile).

Old 11-12-2012   #20
jky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nescio View Post
Good to hear you had a great time! And 3 weeks, wow, that's luxury, timewise, I mean. Only time can show some of the secrets any place has.

Nescio
The time was dictated by a 4yr old & 8 month old... which was great for sightseeing & walking about as it was relaxingly slow in pace. Photography-wise I didn't get to wander as much as I usually do. Regardless, we all enjoyed the city and already miss it very much.