Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras -

CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - This new category of digital Compact System Cameras with interchangeable lenses was mislabeled for a time as "Mirrorless Cameras" by those forgetting about "Mirrorless" Rangefinder cameras.  Such confusion is easily understandable, since interchangeable rangefinder cameras were only recently introduced in 1932.  hmm.    CSC or Compact System Camera is probably the best category description to date, although I am fond of the old RFF desigation of  CEVIL  indicating Compact Electronic Viewfidner Interchangeable Lens.   This forum is here at RFF because via adapters these cameras offer an inexpensive way to use rangefinder lenses on digital cameras -- in addition of just about every 35mm SLR lens you can think of.  All  offer the photo enthusiast an incredible array of adopted lenses which was not possible before these new digital formats.   This group continues to grow in popularity and new camera models! 

Old 10-29-2012   #26
craygc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
[comparing Ricoh vs NEX] ...Image quality [...] is better. Much better.
Nah, its not... (not talking jpegs)

Old 10-29-2012   #27
kanzlr
Hexaneur

sorry Craig, that "Much better" was only meant for the user experience. But I realize this is a very personal thing.

Old 10-29-2012   #28
craygc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanzlr View Post
sorry Craig, that "Much better" was only meant for the user experience. But I realize this is a very personal thing.
...and I was also stirring the pot a bit too
I'm sure the user experience for mainstream is better with the Ricoh, however, having regularly used the Nex 5n with manual focus glass I am finding with my configuration its actually very easy. I usually just run with auto ISO and only use the control wheel to adjust the EV.

Old 10-29-2012   #29
kanzlr
Hexaneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by craygc View Post
I usually just run with auto ISO and only use the control wheel to adjust the EV.

you are a strange guy, really
honestly, no auto ISO was the most irritating part when I started shooting film again *g*

Old 10-29-2012   #30
hamish_gill

my nex/m adapter just arrived today ... I can see me getting on very well with this focus peaking larky

Not the best shot by any means, more of an experiment really, I got this with the 35mm set to 1.4 walking at reasonable pace up the road looking down at the screen with the camera by my chest

on the phone by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

Im not sure I have had an method of manual focusing that is quite as quick an easy as this ...

Old 10-29-2012   #31
kanzlr
Hexaneur

yes. It just starts to get bothersome with medium apertures.
focusing at f4 or 5.6...you do not know where your plane of focus is. You can see that things are somewhat in focus, but not the exact point of focus within DoF. You have to open up, focus, close down, meter, shoot. Like in 1951

That's the main reason why I stopped using manual lenses on digital cameras.

Old 10-29-2012   #32
uhoh7

Nex has come a long way. I remember the guffaws and nimby which were not infrequent here in the first months of the n-5. The original is basically just as sharp with some light as is the 5n- though corner fix was a must with the cv skopars even the 35.

I knew nothing about RF glass when I bought the n5. First I bought Slr glass- the good stuff under 300. Kiron 28/2 etc bokina....

They were big---how could those tiny cvs compete?

But a few months around here and an encouraging band of nex lovers, I forgot about SLR glass.

That Kiron 28 cost me $90. My main squeeze today is the 28 summicron. Nex loves the thing.

But since I learned the meaning of 1.5x and apsc, I've craved a small ff.

Someday......l.

Old 10-31-2012   #33
Dralowid
Michael

As I get further into this the money starts to come in to play. A Nex5 seemed a cheap way in but then I decided I wanted an EVF and it is so expensive one might as well start thinking about a Nex7. Then one is up around 800...only 3-400 short of a used M8. I think the Ricoh with EVF is more.

If only life were simple. I have spent the last 45 years plus looking through a viewfinder. I can hardly see screens when I am out and about and would need to take my glasses....

Round and round...