Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

M monochrom - test prints
Old 05-12-2012   #1
135format

M monochrom - test prints

How about everyone tries to see what they can make of one of the leica examples and post their result here with details of how much post processing time it took you. If its only a few seconds then the camera is no worse than any other at how much work it requires to get to a finished print. I'd suggest the fisherman image from the downloads section at leica: This one Fisherman

this took a couple of minutes...
fishy.jpg

Old 05-12-2012   #2
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

What sense does this make? This is a preprocessed JPG. We need a DNG file.

jaapvphotography

Old 05-12-2012   #3
135format

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
What sense does this make? This is a preprocessed JPG. We need a DNG file.
I'm thinking of getting to what is a tonally pleasing rather than technically excellent. It is the tonal representation which is at question more than anything else I think. No amount of processing is going to show technical excellence at 600x400 pixels online.

p.s. I don't think the downloads at leica have been processed except to jpg as they are supposed to be performance proofs (not sure what that actually means but I assume un-manipulated). DNG should be even better.

Old 05-12-2012   #4
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Well, yes, I see where you are coming from . But that is more of an artistic choice. It does not tell us much about the capabilities of the camera, I should think.

jaapvphotography

Old 05-12-2012   #5
135format

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaapv View Post
Well, yes, I see where you are coming from . But that is more of an artistic choice. It does not tell us much about the capabilities of the camera, I should think.
Not the camera directly but rather is the workflow time comparable to an M9 image converted and processed to B+W image for printing. Because if it is I rekon that an improvement in image tonality from the camera won't make a lot of difference to those striving to make a tonally pleasing print. There is always some manipulation to be done. Some correction for exposure not being spot on. Some burning, some dodging, some vignetting etc to arrive at a quality finished print. Only if you want out of the camera instant to print does it really matter.
I still think it should be better from the camera but for serious work / exhibition prints / prints for sale, I rekon there would be little if any time advantage from improved out of camera tonality.

Old 05-12-2012   #6

here's my interpretation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small.jpg (51.6 KB, 82 views)

Old 05-12-2012   #7
135format

how long did that take you?

Old 05-12-2012   #8
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Man, I wish I had some spare time. I'd hand tint one for laughs.

M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M
28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
X100s, NEX-7, N1V1, oodles of filthy Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, some OM gear, an XA, Retinas, a 4x5 and a lonely 500C/M