Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Cosina Voigtlander Bessa

Nokton 35/1.4 vs. 40/1.4 comparison
Old 05-08-2012   #1
efix
RF user by conviction

Nokton 35/1.4 vs. 40/1.4 comparison

Just wondering ... has anyone ever done a proper comparison of these two lenses? All I could find were posts asking "should I get one or the other".

Any pointers? Or is there nothing like this at all?
"In my humble estimate, there’s a huge lack of appreciation out there for the wonderful aesthetic look that film of all types can lend to an image. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to count in a world that is rushing nowhere like a lot of headless chickens." – Jonathan Eastland
facebook | twitter | flickr! | 500px

Old 05-08-2012   #2
presspass
filmshooter

Good question. I have the 40 and enjoy it except it tends to unscrew itself. Never tried the 35, but I would like to know if it's enough better to justify the change. Any takers?

Old 05-08-2012   #3
Speedfreak
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by efix View Post
Or is there nothing like this at all?
I bet both are pretty similar with an edge to the 40 (easier to design than 35mm).

Dont worry, get the one that fits your camera better (35mm framelines / 40mm framelines ...).

Old 05-08-2012   #4
Godfrey
wonderment

Quote:
Originally Posted by presspass View Post
Good question. I have the 40 and enjoy it except it tends to unscrew itself. Never tried the 35, but I would like to know if it's enough better to justify the change. Any takers?
"Unscrew itself"? What does it do?

I've been shooting with the Nokton 40 for a year, never given me a wit of trouble.

Old 05-08-2012   #5
JayM

I haven't seen much information on either of these two lenses to the level that people get into testing a lot of stuff. I remember anecdotal information that the 40 has less barrel distortion than the 35, and read another review that the 40 lacked contrast vs the 35. Then again sample variation is supposedly pretty big with CV lenses. I've been lucky and not experienced anything that I would qualify as a poor copy but that might have been the case with the contrast difference claims.

Old 05-08-2012   #6
back alley
just joe

there was a large 50mm comparison and i believe also a large 35 (with 40s included) comparison also.
ask raid for the link...