Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Did your Ebay Camera work out of the Box?
YES! It worked Perfectly 427 70.81%
No. Did not work. It's a Paperweight. 45 7.46%
Required a minor Repair, Fixed it Myself 112 18.57%
Required a Major Repair: Paid to have the work Done. 73 12.11%
Requested a Refund. 46 7.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 603. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2012   #176
karlori
Digital Refugee

M3 with rotten cloths on the shutter and a rather strong smell of gas ( not the good kind :P )... I feel that someone dunked it in wd40 and then in some gas to get it lubed.
I rejected to take it into ownership at the customs office so it went back straight away... Buuuuuut, i did buy a pentax MX sight unseen with the stock image listed and voila a near mint camera arrived.

Old 05-05-2012   #177
zuiko85

E-bay translation guide;

"I don't know much about cameras...."= it's broken
"Worked fine the last time I used it..." = it's broken (last time used was in 1976)
"Not tested but dials move and shutter clicks..."= it's broken
"I have no battery to check the meter with..."= it's broken
"Controls a little stiff but should free up with use..."= it's broken
"Works but sold as-is, no return..."= it's broken

Probably many more I missed.

Old 05-05-2012   #178
karlori
Digital Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
E-bay translation guide;

"I don't know much about cameras...."= it's broken
"Worked fine the last time I used it..." = it's broken (last time used was in 1976)
"Not tested but dials move and shutter clicks..."= it's broken
"I have no battery to check the meter with..."= it's broken
"Controls a little stiff but should free up with use..."= it's broken
"Works but sold as-is, no return..."= it's broken

Probably many more I missed.
Seller refurbished... (With the exception of few a real craftsmen) = missing parts and really battered inside...
Minty = Smells like mint but is used and shows wear cleverly not shown in photos
There is film inside = i screwed it up so much i can't even open the body anymore
Just a small ding = mechanics are bashed beyond recognition
Electronics are flaky = its 99% dead
Etc...

Old 05-05-2012   #179
literiter

I've had some pretty good luck.

-Two really old Super Ikonta B Cameras work perfectly and the shutters are very accurate.
-A remarkably pristine Kodak Retina ii, which was so poorly photographed by the seller that I bought it for parts, very cheaply! Like $30.00.
-A Nikon F2 with the DP-1 head. Again only one poor photograph and I thought I would at least have it for a spare. Even the light meter was functional and accurate.

The worst I received was a a Welta Weltini that arrived via Canada Post about 1/2 inch thinner than it should have been. It was very well packaged but that didn't really matter, it had been crushed anyway. Even the lens was smashed.
Of course this was not the fault of the seller!!
-Insurance is a really good idea.

Old 05-05-2012   #180
mathomas

I just returned a 90mm Elmarit-R. Max aperture wasn't max -- some aperture blades showing even at f/2.8: both off the camera, and during exposure. Real bummer because it was in very good condition otherwise and took nice photos.

I tried to get the seller to split shipping (he charged $15, and it cost me $20 to ship back). He refused, saying "my shipping to you was underestimated, so I'm already in the hole". I thought, "that's funny, by my math that makes you about $5 in the hole while I'm $35 in the hole". Whatever. At least he did the refund/return (it was a "no return" auction).

Also recently got a 28mm Elmarit-R with really stiff focusing. It's not unusable, but annoying and disappointing. I figure I'll just live with it for now, and get it CLA'd someday.

Old 05-05-2012   #181
Lano

I just got my second not working Leica IIIf today, it was sold as in perfect working condition.

Old 05-05-2012   #182
Spanik

So far I have one that doesn't work OOB, a FED 35A. Well, it seems to work but the speeds are erratic. Of about 8 camera's that looks reasonable to me. All camera's older than 10 years need lightseal replacements but otherwise work perfect. Some of them I use regulary with lightseal that do a reasonable chewing gum impression.

Old 05-05-2012   #183
TXForester

I bought two digital p&s from through ebay. One came from Gazelle. Both worked fine and the one from Gazelle was in better condition than described.

I did buy a lens from ebay that didn't work as described (aperture stuck wide open). I got a refund for that one.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage. ― H.L. Mencken

Old 05-05-2012   #184
harlequin
Fumbling

- Bought an Olympus Trip 35 that needed work - though I knew that at the time. - Yashica Electro 35GTN that supposedly didn't work properly - does when you put a battery in it. - Lomo Lubitel 166U that worked as well as described. 100% record so far. Yay!

"I love work; it fascinates me; I can sit and watch it for hours."
- Jerome K. Jerome

Old 05-05-2012   #185
bjornkeizers

I bought all my cameras second hand, some from Ebay. I mostly have good luck, with minor exceptions.

A Canon EOS 5 had some missing sections on the LCD display but worked otherwise fine. Seller offered film as compensation.

Canon EOS 1000FN: Broken battery door not mentioned by seller. Easy fix (=tape it shut). Seems to work just fine, so didn't bother getting refund / replacement.

Worst one: Olympus XA2. Sold as working, sadly isn't. Bad electronics means no hope for repair. Shame as it looks quite nice and came with working flash. Was very cheap, so didn't bother with a return.

The other ones, Minox 35 GT, Canon GIII QL17 and Bronica ETRS worked as advertised and all came from private sellers.
Pentax Auto 110 - Polaroid 1000 Land Camera & CPII - Fuji Instax Mini 7S - Ricoh FF70 - Olympus XA1, XA2, Mju II - Bronica ETRS - Holga 120 - Diana 120 - Lomo Fisheye 110

Old 05-05-2012   #186
camperbc

I 've had very good luck with my Ebay transaction. All of my vintage cameras have arrived in pristine condition. (cosmetically and mechanically) I use only a few trusted sources for all of my purchases.

Glen

Old 05-05-2012   #187
al1966
Feed Your Head

The last few cameras I bought off the bay have been all good; Nikon f70 and f50, Oly OM2/40/20 and an Pen EE2. In fact the OM2 F70 and Pen EE2 were near mint, Sadly I got a lens listed as Nikon mount 24-70 that turned out to be a Canon mount 28-70 and had to go through the complaints thing. I would say that virtually everything camera wise I have got has been ok.

http://jamesagrady.blog.com/
http://randompicture.wordpress.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41452653@N05/

Old 05-07-2012   #188
jesse1dog
Gone Digital

Having had a run-in with a seller of a Panasonic G1, but got my money back thro' eBay and Paypal, I got a Panasonic Lumix FZ5 through a private seller. Some wear round the shutter but its the best camera I have ever had. For the relatively stupid price I paid, 47, to include spare battery and case, it's been a real bargain - suits me and produces some great results.

jesse

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix FZ5/38 - Lumix LX3/7 - Lumix GF1 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 05-08-2012   #189
FlyingLotus
Photography

i don't really buy tons of cameras off of Ebay mainly because you simply don't know what to expect.

On the other hand if i really have to get it off the bay, i would have to ask tons of questions about the camera before buying, which usually irritates the seller. So far however, from all the purchases that i've made through the bay, i'm pretty happy, most required minor cleaning and replacing light seals.

Off Ebay:
Nikon FG
Nikon Series E 50mm f/1.8 lens
Yashica 44
Yashica 635
Rolleiflex Lens Hood
Polaroid 250
Polaroid 104
Polaroid SX-70 Sonar
Polaroid SX-70 Alpha 1
Leica Adapter "nipple" and Cable Release

'Black and White are the colors of photography. To me they symbolize the alternatives of hope and despair to which mankind is forever subjected'

-Robert Frank

Old 05-08-2012   #190
Fraser

I bought a Canon Eos 1 for a 120 that turned out to be a 1v. I thought that was quite a good buy!

Old 06-04-2012   #191
jesse1dog
Gone Digital

I'm mad - but anyone who has met me knows that!

Picked up a Lumix LX1 last week - just over 50.
In great condition with just an odd mark on the screen.
Doesn't look to have had any real use but haven't investigated the number of shutter activations. Decided that I don't really need to know and getting the information from the camera seems to involve a certain probability of completely messing up!
However as a nearly digital camera illiterate I thought the camera was one to experiment on and to see what all the buttons and menues did. Having great fun at present because everything seems to work just as it should. It would be useful to have a printed manual: I know there is a pdf version on the net. However I now discover that the camera 'does more' than the instructions say! So having a great time at no great expense.
Another excellent eBay buy!

jesse

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix FZ5/38 - Lumix LX3/7 - Lumix GF1 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 06-04-2012   #192
wblynch

I have bought over 30 cameras from Ebay. About half of them had moderate problems. Several wouldn't work at all. Most were bought for very low prices.

Most annoying were two different Leica C1 point-n-shoots that were described as perfectly working but neither did. I determined from the design that Leica C1, C2 and C3 cameras are pure junk.

I have bought 'parts' cameras that were perfect, minus batteries, and 'perfect' cameras that were junk.

My happy results outweigh the losers and I probably only spent $250 on losers over 12 years. And they serve as parts sources so that's ok.

Old 07-01-2012   #193
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

The few that came to me in non-working condition but described as working were returned for a full refund. I had to fight to get my money back though..

I've had more come to me in good working order after being described as non-working..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 08-10-2012   #194
Nicolai

Bought my first Leica, a M4-2, at ebay for $400. The seller was saying something about battery corrosion, but I never saw anything worked straight out of the box and in excellent shape.

RFF gallery

Flickr

Old 08-18-2012   #195
camperbc

Ebay has indeed been very good to me. I have purchased about twenty cameras over the past year alone, and have not had a single negative experience. I finally got around to shooting two of my favorite Ebay scores last week; both are Soviet rangefinders, a FED 2 and Zorki-4, (and just yesterday developed the film; my first home developing in 35 years!) and I am completely blown away by the results. I bought these cameras for well under $100 each; both look as perfect as the day they were made, and as it turns out, they are also functioning as new. Difficult to believe that the photographs are from cameras built over a half century ago!

I had another very positive Ebay experience just a few days ago. Rather astonishingly, I won a mint early 1950's Ensign Ranger 6X9 (120 roll film) folder on Ebay for $5. Yup, 5 bucks! It's mind-boggling that no one else would want to bid on such a beautifully flawless medium format camera!

So yes, there surely are endless online deals to be found. My list of Ebay successes is long, and I will continue to buy with confidence!

Glen

Old 08-19-2012   #196
Texsport

Cameras have been fine, but 3 different lenses have been returned.

Texsport

This discussion is a perfect illustration of what I constantly tell my wife - you can never have enough cameras, lenses, guns, or golf clubs - oh, and diamonds, according to her!

Old 10-05-2012   #197
wcurtiss

I have been very lucky with ebay purchases. All of the cameras and lenses have worked great right out of the box. The only thing I have had to do to any of them is replace the light seals which I assume needs doing from the get go.

Old 11-05-2012   #198
mike rosenlof
Insufficient information

My eBay purchases have all worked. It's been a while since I've bought anything that might break though. Like over ten years.

The photos had to be decent and the text had to sound like the seller had a clue what they were selling. No fuzzy photos. No "I don't know much about this, but".

Old 11-06-2012   #199
grapejohnson
scott kessler

Mamiya NC1000 (their cheap 35mm SLR) was in excellent cosmetic condition, but the sprockets didn't move the film and the aperture blades were sticky. I got a full refund and was able to keep the camera. Paperweight.
FED 4 in perfect condition.
Canon AT-1 in perfect condition.

All three were $30 each. Not bad!

Every lens I bought from ebay was also in perfect condition.

Old 11-06-2012   #200
D.J.
-

I'm one of the happy few, never had a problem, at all.