Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Custom charges from Japan to UK
Old 05-07-2012   #1
sara

Custom charges from Japan to UK

Has anyone in the UK ever bought a camera for Japan and got charged for customs? Thing is I bought a lens from Japan last time but I don't remember getting charged, unless I did but was forgotten.

I saw a really good M6 from Japan and it's 」800+ but this means I'll get charged a hell lot for customs I thinking? :/

Old 05-07-2012   #2
Steinberg2010

If you have to pay VAT that would come to another 20% I think? Surely you would be better looking somewhere like apertureuk for one?

~S

F3, 50mm F1.8 E, 105mm F2.5 (Pre-AI)

Leica M3, M5, 50mm Summicron, 40mm Summicron - C, 35mm VC PI, 35mm Summaron f3.5

Old 05-07-2012   #3
sara

Yeah I know just that they have none at the moment and I was quite desperate.
I mean if custom charges are crazy I'll just wait for aperture to receive one which could be never!

Old 05-07-2012   #4
johannielscom
photon warper

Any EU camera will be without VAT, customs. Try meistercamera in Berlin or any other reputable EU seller, or Robert White or Peter Loy in UK.

Good luck!

Photography & gear articles:
www.johanniels.com

Photographs are about (in)significant details, fixed forever. Life is not.

Selling gear and film in the classifieds

Old 05-07-2012   #5
Steinberg2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara View Post
Yeah I know just that they have none at the moment and I was quite desperate.
I mean if custom charges are crazy I'll just wait for aperture to receive one which could be never!
Really? - according to their website they have an M6TTL for 890 in EXC+. Have you tried calling them?

~S

F3, 50mm F1.8 E, 105mm F2.5 (Pre-AI)

Leica M3, M5, 50mm Summicron, 40mm Summicron - C, 35mm VC PI, 35mm Summaron f3.5

Old 05-07-2012   #6
FrozenInTime

Ffordes - a company I've used a lot and are 100% reliable have a M6 TTL.
It would be less than adding VAT and shipping from Japan, and they are very good with quible free returns if you are not totally happy.

http://www.ffordes.com/category/Film...ssion=ItemName
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 05-07-2012   #7
Sparrow

Red Dot is in your neck of the woods ... how about this

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You池e only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 05-07-2012   #8
tombla

Reddot in Old Street have a few M6s from 」799.

Old 05-07-2012   #9
sara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinberg2010 View Post
Really? - according to their website they have an M6TTL for 890 in EXC+. Have you tried calling them?

~S
Not looking for a TTL version.

Will check other sites recommended thanks!

Wasn't actually planning on buying one now but big project coming up may as well use it.

Old 05-07-2012   #10
Daan

http://www.secondhandcamera.nl/

This shop has one for 800 euro.
I've bought a lens from him in the past, it's a nice guy (have not seen that M6 though).

Old 05-07-2012   #11
Nigel Meaby

One here on Ebay from an established seller with very good feedback ending today http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEICA-M6-3...#ht_2554wt_944

的n the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.

Old 05-07-2012   #12
thegman

Quote:
Has anyone in the UK ever bought a camera for Japan and got charged for customs? Thing is I bought a lens from Japan last time but I don't remember getting charged, unless I did but was forgotten.

I saw a really good M6 from Japan and it's 」800+ but this means I'll get charged a hell lot for customs I thinking? :/
Yes, and yes. It seems to be a bit more hit and miss than from the USA, where I'll get charged 100% of the time. From Japan, I get away with it, maybe more than half the time, but I had to pay on my last purchase. There is duty at 20% and also "fees" from the courier. 」800 for an M6, plus that may not be worth it.

Try Red Dot Cameras, they often have a decent price on an M6.

Old 05-07-2012   #13
RFluhver

Quote:
Not looking for a TTL version.

Will check other sites recommended thanks!

Wasn't actually planning on buying one now but big project coming up may as well use it.
I quite curious to know what kind of project is this that you must have specifically an M6 for it. What is it?

Old 05-07-2012   #14
ruby.monkey

Could be worse. I recently bought a camera from an American eBay seller. Total price including postage? $210 (roughly 」130). VAT charge? 」870, or $1400 in Monopoly money.

Nice one, HMRC.

Old 05-07-2012   #15
RFluhver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
Could be worse. I recently bought a camera from an American eBay seller. Total price including postage? $210 (roughly 」130). VAT charge? 」870, or $1400 in Monopoly money.

Nice one, HMRC.
You must be bloody joking! Seriously?

That is theft! IF they carry on like that they'll end up killing online commerce. I suppose that must make your local retailers happy.

Old 05-07-2012   #16
thegman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFluhver View Post

That is theft! IF they carry on like that they'll end up killing online commerce. I suppose that must make your local retailers happy.
I assume that's a mistake! Have to get a refund from HMRC.

They won't kill online commerce, just discourage buying stuff from outside of this country, which is pretty much the intent. Import duty is really just a punitive fine for having the temerity to purchase goods outside of the UK.

It is probably a necessary evil at the moment though.

Old 05-07-2012   #17
sara

Quote:
I quite curious to know what kind of project is this that you must have specifically an M6 for it. What is it?
I don't need an M6 for this project, I was going to shoot part of it with my M2 anyway, and I just was going to get an M6 because I'm off to Barcelona at the end of the month and it would be nice to travel light.

I'm just documenting an upcoming exhibition but photos will be up at exhibition (possible going around the world for 3 years).

Like I said, I don't need an M6 for this, but the M has been my primary camera for about 2 years now...so it is "my camera I shoot with" anyway.

Ruby.Monkey - That is big joke, I agree probably a big mistake :S
I hate customs charge, I don't even know why it exists.

Old 05-07-2012   #18
Gazzah
RF newbie

Recently the customs seem to have clamped down on all imports. Last month I got charged 20% VAT and hen an additional 10% "Handling fee" on an item that was only 」65 in the first place. This didnt happen until the last 12-18 months.

Sara - i have sent you a PM about an M6 I was going to put in the classifieds....

Old 05-07-2012   #19
Geordiepete

I live in Japan and, being English, go to England every year. About 2 years ago, I bought a used M8 while I was visiting UK. The customs charge was in the 100s of pounds. I should have waited till I was back in Japan. Last year I bought a new M9 and had it shipped to Japan. I was charged much less in import charges.
Postal fees and customs charges just seem so incredible to me whenever I go back to Britain.

Did you look on Yahoo Japan Auctions? I posted my M7 for sale there a couple of weeks ago, with a start price of 155,000 yen. No takers, but someone asked me to drop the price to 120,000. I was surprised to find that, at least on Yahoo Auction Japan, M7s are not going for very much more than M6s.

Old 05-07-2012   #20
jarski

OP, try ebay.de, .fr, .it also many camera shops out there, if you dislike buying from individuals. no customs charges. I'd keep eye on LUF classifieds too, many Euro-region items sold there.

Old 05-07-2012   #21
sara

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarski View Post
OP, try ebay.de, .fr, .it also many camera shops out there, if you dislike buying from individuals. no customs charges. I'd keep eye on LUF classifieds too, many Euro-region items sold there.
Found one on ebay DE. Thanks jarski!

Old 05-07-2012   #22
Nigel Meaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWT View Post
Might be worth checking if you will still have to pay VAT if you're buy outside the UK - even if it's in europe.
VAT is payable within Europe but will normally be included in the price, if from a shop or business seller on Ebay. A private seller will not include VAT and it won't be charged by customs on an item entering the UK from another European Union country.

So no additional VAT or customs charges on goods bought or sold within Europe, generally speaking.

的n the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.

Old 05-07-2012   #23
ruby.monkey

Quote:

I disputed the charge without taking delivery. By the time they responded (four weeks later), the camera was on its way back to the seller.

Their response? "The item has been returned to seller, therefore we will not investigate this case further." Sometimes all one can do is laugh.

Old 05-07-2012   #24
Bruno Gracia

I pay 46」 today to parcelforce for a 100」 adapter..

Old 05-08-2012   #25
Sputnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Meaby View Post
VAT is payable within Europe but will normally be included in the price, if from a shop or business seller on Ebay. A private seller will not include VAT and it won't be charged by customs on an item entering the UK from another European Union country.

So no additional VAT or customs charges on goods bought or sold within Europe, generally speaking.
This is one of those things that you need to check carefully. I've seen plenty of business sellers who list items without VAT (or the equivalent). It's not always obvious, though you should find out at payment time rather than being landed with a bill 3 weeks later like DHL do.

Old 05-08-2012   #26
Nigel Meaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnick View Post
This is one of those things that you need to check carefully. I've seen plenty of business sellers who list items without VAT (or the equivalent). It's not always obvious, though you should find out at payment time rather than being landed with a bill 3 weeks later like DHL do.
As with everything "Always read the fine print" before committing to buy or just ask.

Old 05-08-2012   #27
Paul T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnick View Post
They shouldn't do this on eBay though. The auction price should always include VAT.

VAT is very variable - it's always worth challenging. For instance, I got charged VAT on a box of promo books and books, of course, aren't subject to VAT. I also got VAT on a camera being returned from Youxin - although I'm VAT-registered and can reclaim it, there was also the f&&8**n Parcelforce fee.

But you can go in to Parcelforce, say that you will pursue the VAT from Customs and Excise, and refuse to pay their handing fee (which otherwise won't be refunded). I've done it a couple of times, you just have to stand your ground and not feel bad about the inevitable huge queue behind you (who were, the last couple of occasions, supportive as it happens).