Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

Olympus Pen D shutter issue
Old 05-06-2012   #1
pinkarmy

Olympus Pen D shutter issue

i test-shooted a roll with my Pen D last Xmas.
and happy with the result very much--in fact i would say it is the best scale focus half frame camera i have.
i put in another roll (a Portra 400 this time) but it began to open very slooooowly and close sloooowly and eventually stop closing completely until i wind the advance.

i took it to the pro for a CLA, good for a few clicks and it strikes again.

took it back to the pro to have it re-do, then it strikes again...

is it so difficult to repair? should i do it myself?

Old 05-06-2012   #2
OlympusRF

If any part of the camera isn't really broken (and I believe its not), it can't be difficult to a "Pro".
I had fixed many Olympus pen half-frame cameras (except the PEN F & FT), and I think its not that hard (except the PEN EM),but its my opinion based on my "skills" (but amateur) and experience. Until today, I had fix them all.
You just need some guide and the right tools to open it. Some tools I had made to open them. I could provide some pictures, but not to all the opening process, and maybe its hard to provide help were I cannot see, but try it if you feel confident or had open other cameras.

Old 05-08-2012   #3
zuiko85

I'll bet the "pro" tried to flood clean that 5 blade Copal shutter.

NO NO NO!

The shutter had to be disassembled down to removing the individual blades, cleaned, the pivots of the speed controller re oiled, *very* lightly. Do not lubricate the blade pivots or the blades, they run dry. Then the shutter and lens is reassembled and installed back in the camera if removed. It probably has to be removed to clean. It may also pay at this time to clean off the old grease on the focusing helical and re lube that too. Infinity will have to be reset after reassembly.
I've done the Copal 5 blade, 7 speed shutter in a Pen S 3.5 but never had apart a Pen D shutter. My advice is to take it to a recognized camera repair service and ask them if they do leaf shutters. This is a very nice camera with a killer lens and is worth a true professional job.

Old 05-08-2012   #4
malthusiantrap

What a coincidence, the exact same thing happened to me for my Pen D2 and it is currently back at the repair shop for a second time for that sticky shutter problem.
If the problem happens again I might take it to a more reputable shop that does leaf shutters. Thanks for the tip.

Old 05-08-2012   #5
pinkarmy

it is hard for me to believe that i could not find any picturial documented the repairing (not even a CLA) for this little gem (Pen D/D2/D3).

PEN D shutter Repair
Old 05-10-2012   #6
OlympusRF

PEN D shutter Repair

The next time I open one PEN D I will make photos of every step, but I made some photos of the part to get to the shutter and the aperture blades (usually there's no problem with the aperture blades)

Old 05-10-2012   #7
eurekaiv

Would you mind sharing your photos with me? I have a D that needs some shutter attention but I'd like to get a look at what I'd be getting into before tearing it open.

Old 05-11-2012   #8
OlympusRF

ok.
I'll give you news soon.

Old 05-13-2012   #9
Blanc

The pro doesn't seem to know how to service a shutter at all.

Hope you didn't pay for it...

Old 05-13-2012   #10
pinkarmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanc View Post
The pro doesn't seem to know how to service a shutter at all.

Hope you didn't pay for it...
i did paid him to do tthe job and i did return to him for a "RE-DO"...AGAIN (free this time of course...just waste half a year's time)

Old 05-21-2012   #11
pinkarmy

i snapped a few frame before the shutter stuck...
Olympus Pen D by pink-army, on Flickr
Olympus Pen D by pink-army, on Flickr

I WANT THIS CAMERA BACK TO WORK SO BAD!!!

Old 05-21-2012   #12
eurekaiv

I don't blame you... there isn't a single Pen model that doesn't make amazing looking images. I think they must make the lenses from the tears of angels or something. Or maybe the engineers sold their souls to the Yakuza. Oh, wait...