Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Digital Rangefinder Cameras > Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M"

Digital Leica M8 / M8.2 / M9 / M-E /Mono / M10 aka "M" Discussions about the Leica M8 /M 8.2 / M9 / M9-P/ M-E / M Monochrom / M10 aka "M": Leica digital M mount rangefinder cameras. Naming the new digital M the "Leica M" is VERY unfortunate as it will only confuse newbies with other Leica M cameras of the the past. Happily there is room for confusion with only the past 59 years of Leica M production ... since Leica introduced the Leica M system in 1953. All Hail for the Leica Marketing Department learning Leica M history!

How many M9 and M8 owners are tempted by the Nikon D800 E?
Old 05-04-2012   #1
eleskin

How many M9 and M8 owners are tempted by the Nikon D800 E?

Lately, I have showed some interest in the Nikon D800 E, especially having no AA filter. With my M8 I love my Noctilux and 35mm f1.2 Nokton and I am tempted to get the D800E with the 50mm Nikkor Noct f1.2 and some Zeiss wides and maybe a 50mm Summicron R lens.

I love the detailed files my M8 produces with no AA filter, but I hate the ISO performance and would love more resolution. for the price, the Nikon may be hard to beat, especially if I love the look and file quality of the M8 and M9.

So here is my question: Those of you who own an M8 and or M9: Are you tempted by the Nikon D800 E and why?

Old 05-04-2012   #2
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Not me. I have a 5Dll as well as my M8 and 9. This is one camera I do not need.

Old 05-04-2012   #3
Howarthp

I've got a D800 (not E) and an M9 and a D3 (which I intend to sell). The D800 is fabulous - great resolution, low light capability and, for me at least, a much more useful form factor than the D3. However, it's not an M9 - the camera I reached for when I went to Paris last week. I find them suited for different uses

Old 05-04-2012   #4
jsrockit

I've thought about it, but think I'd ultimately be disappointed by the size and it being a DSLR. I may still check out the D600 (which I'm hoping is smaller) when it's released, but I'm not that excited honestly. Now, if Nikon made the D800 in a F3 sized body, that would be a different story.

Old 05-04-2012   #5
efirmage

I'm an M6 user and I'm tempted. More than tempted, I'm planning on picking one up. I'd also love to throw some Leica R glass on it.

I had been planning on picking up some sort of digital component (either M9 or NEX 7 etc) to my film RF setup, but now I think I'll just use each for their own strengths.

RF for film, where it's most economical and very enjoyable, and a d800E as a mini-medium format camera for large prints and when I need things like autofocus and higher ISO.

Old 05-04-2012   #6
rover

A friend got his D800 yesterday. I saw him walking out to give it a tryout with an AF-D 50/1.8. The camera is no where as large as I thought it would be. With a little prime it was a damn nice looking rig.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 05-04-2012   #7
Benjamin Marks

Not I. But the main reason is that I already have a D3, which really does everything I need it to. I have the M9 for RF photography; I have the D3 for very low light and the stuff that an SLR is good for (macro, children w/follow-focus). If I did not have the D3, then the new Nikons would be very tempting for their non-RF and low light capabilities.

Old 05-04-2012   #8
dseelig
David

I would not get t replace my m9 but as a nother tool for different work. I wish I had the funds to do it. But the 5dmk111 is pretty awesome itself I shoot canon but boy this camera is nice even at iso 3200 I shot a few when I ran into one on the street. Very tempting camera

Old 05-04-2012   #9
BobYIL

(An S3 with the sensor of the D800E from the hands of Nikon engineers )

Old 05-04-2012   #10
mdarnton

All it took to get me to dump almost all my Leica gear and convert to Nikon digital was the D300. The D800e looks delish to me, as do the couple of other high-res Nikons in the chute, but I won't be replacing the D300 until it dies, I suspect.

Cash flow. . . .

The thing that would really get my attention would be a 24Mp digital full-frame Bessa for under $2000, but I don't know that I want to get in to buying a bunch of lenses again, at this point. With that in mind, my eye is set on a Nex-7, as a pseudo-RF (IMO, focus peaking, if it really works, is the RF equivalent for digital) that would use my Nikon lenses, and not break the bank.

Old 05-04-2012   #11
Lss

Not at all. I don't have that kind of money to spend on a DSLR.

Old 05-04-2012   #12
Tom Niblick

I'll get one to do some macro and long lens work. No rush though as my M9 and my 4x5s cover 90% of what I do.

Old 05-04-2012   #13
Vince Lupo

Yup-- I'm on a waiting list for it.

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

Old 05-04-2012   #14
sojournerphoto

I'm tempted to get one as a partner for my M9. I might need to sell some film gear to do it, so jury is still out at the mo

Old 05-04-2012   #15
overtoom

I am on Canon. So the 5d III is much more of interest for me. Its the perfect wedding tool. If I were a Nikon shooter however, I would get one. But, because of the 36MP, I would use it for Studio work only.

Old 05-04-2012   #16
hteasley
Pupil

Not me. I sold my D90 and lenses to fund the purchase of an M8, and I've never looked back. I'm uncomfortable shooting non-RF cameras, now. AF just puts me off my game, and too many controls and options just get in my way.

It often sounds luddite-ish, or at least horribly unimaginative about the future, to say something like this, but I don't really want a camera substantially different from the M9. If the future holds better high ISO performance, faster processing, better battery, whatever, then great, I'll want that, and may replace the M9 someday. But I don't want a camera that is substantially more complicated in its user interface than the M9. I don't want a camera to do substantially more for me than the M9 does. I've had the DSLR experience, and I have some modern cameras like the NEX-7, but those are less enjoyable and harder for me to use than the M9.

No me
Old 05-05-2012   #17
donz

No me

Coz Im going after a used M8 at this moment. So im really hunting the M8 at the moment.

ANybody want to sell their M8? Any Australia seller?

D800 looks awesome..

Old 05-05-2012   #18
fireblade

going the other way, sold off my Nikon DSLR's, (keeping all my film gear)... the 8.2 went to my son, now enjoying photography more with the X100 and OMD.
will wait for Fuji to put a FF sensor in the XP1.

Old 05-09-2012   #19
icebear

No, I would not even take it for free unless it come with an assistant for the schlepping and I have a bunch of M glass (CV, Zeiss and Leica) and don't have any Nikkors stashed somewhere...

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 05-09-2012   #20
x-ray

Don't have an M9, just not for me. D800 yes but not the E. I have a Hasselblad digital system thats mega sharp. Anyway in samples Ive seen there's not a nickels difference in sharpness in prints at native size and I rarely print larger than 24". I don't think I'm going to order one till the bugs have been fixed. At that point I may sell my Canon equipment and go back to Nikon. Im moving more out of film and more to digital for personal work so I may even sell my xpan, 35 1.2, Linhof V 2x3 and some other goodies to help fund the system. It's more about dynamic range vs resolution.

Old 05-09-2012   #21
nanthor

Out of all the available sample pics from the D800, I haven't seen anything to get excited about. Great resolution of course but not a lot of the character or special qualities that I look for and find in Leica gear.

Old 05-10-2012   #22
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanthor View Post
Out of all the available sample pics from the D800, I haven't seen anything to get excited about. Great resolution of course but not a lot of the character or special qualities that I look for and find in Leica gear.
Do you ever see special qualities on camera websites?

Old 05-10-2012   #23
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanthor View Post
Would it be possible to specifically describe what you mean by "special qualities"?

Self-Induced Transparency Photography, FLICKR, Professional Portfolio.

Old 05-10-2012   #24
Teuthida
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
Would it be possible to specifically describe what you mean by "special qualities"?
It'sthe Leica Glow.