Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 04-25-2012   #2301
ooze

Thanks for the heads-up. Love your work Aljocha!

Old 04-25-2012   #2302
Jared

Thank you

I use a lot of different cameras
Contax G and Olympus OM for my film needs.
Some Hassy but I do not own one myself.
5DmkII with Leica R and the OM Zuiko's and some m42 takumar (50mm f4 macro and the 50mm 1.4). I used OM lenses on the 5D2 all the time before I got the Leica R.
I love OM lenses but I love the Leica's more. And I really love that Takumar Macro!

OM1 - OM 55 1.2 ( it has a fungus infestation now )

Old 04-27-2012   #2303
maxwell1295

I got my hands on a nice OM-1 that had alkaline battery coversion done and was recently CLA'd. Also included a 50/1.8 and 28/3.5 for a total of $160. I was pretty happy with this kit at that price.

Just ran my first roll through it yesterday and developed it last night. Arista Premium 400/Rodinal 1+100, 60 mins stand.

Loving the results thus far...

Clothesline by alanabramsphotography, on Flickr

Kitchen Sink by alanabramsphotography, on Flickr

Dishwasher by alanabramsphotography, on Flickr

My Website

Old 05-04-2012   #2304
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I thought I'd better drop by and mention that I just bought an OM-3.

I wasn't going to get any more OM gear but when I saw that black OM-3 in the classifieds tonight I was a gonner!

Now for the wait!!!!!!

flickr

Old 05-04-2012   #2305
paulfish4570

lots o' nice photographs showing up here, especially that clothesline shot by maxwell. love that zuiko look ...

Old 05-04-2012   #2306
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSU View Post
You are going to find yourself in the same quandary I often face, Nikon or Olympus, all the worse now that I have a couple of OM4's with updated meters that don't drain batteries.

Enjoy that OM3!!

I bought an OM-4 and have never really bonded with it ... this is like having an OM-1 (THE perfect OM) with an extra stop of shutter speed and a spot meter.

I'll probably sell the OM-4 I got off Frank and one of my OM-2s because this now totals five OM bodies ... curse the classifieds! It's funny because I've had no thoughts of getting an OM-3 but had just got home and checked the classifieds like you do and spotted it and thought ... "oh my god that's nice!"

flickr

Old 05-04-2012   #2307
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
I understand the differences between the OM1 and the OM2n, particularly the meter display and self timer.

But it strikes me that functionally when an OM3 has a battery to power its meter it is functionally identical to an OM4, save for the self timer.

As svelt as are the OM2 & OM1, the function of the OM4 wins out for me. The meter is still state of the art, something not available on any DSLR. It is one thing to chimp after the fact, quite another thing to sample with a spot meter a few diifferent zones and have a correct average based on what I desire and not an algorithm set at the factory.

Not so ... the OM-3 like the OM-1 is a completely mechanical camera with no AE. Like the OM-1 it has no battery dependency aside from the meter.

flickr

Old 05-04-2012   #2308
wblynch

Of course I would love an OM-3 but for less than $5 I can convert an OM-1 to use a 1.5v battery and that is significantly less than an OM-3!

But most of the OM-3's I have ever seen are in mint condition and just beautiful to look at.

Old 05-04-2012   #2309
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell1295 View Post
Alan, I particularly love this one.
Good job!

Old 05-04-2012   #2310
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

I wasn't going to get any more OM gear but when I saw that black OM-3 in the classifieds tonight I was a gonner!

Now for the wait!!!!!!
Welcome to the brotherhood, Keith.

For Keith While He Waits
Old 05-04-2012   #2311
kemal_mumcu

For Keith While He Waits

It's a nice camera the OM3. Glad to see you finally got one. Mine was my first real camera given to me about 15 years ago by my now deceased grandfather. It probably isn't that much better than the OM1 but mine is special because of the memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg om34rff.jpg (61.8 KB, 43 views)

Old 05-04-2012   #2312
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
But most of the OM-3's I have ever seen are in mint condition and just beautiful to look at.
No sChite!!!

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 05-04-2012   #2313
jmilkins
Digited User

Quote:
I bought an OM-4 and have never really bonded with it ... this is like having an OM-1 (THE perfect OM) with an extra stop of shutter speed and a spot meter.

I'll probably sell the OM-4 I got off Frank and one of my OM-2s because this now totals five OM bodies ... curse the classifieds! It's funny because I've had no thoughts of getting an OM-3 but had just got home and checked the classifieds like you do and spotted it and thought ... "oh my god that's nice!"
Conrgrats Keith. I've been resisting a particular OM3 for about 2 months, and thinking what zuiko glass it would mean instead!

Enjoy your new one. Interested to hear your impressions.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 05-04-2012   #2314
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

It's funny how this OM thing goes ... you start of with a beater OM-2 because you've read constantly on RFF that these things are god's gift to SLR's and are in fact actually carrying the status of 'honourary rangefinder' at a rangefinder dedicated forum.

Before you know it ... you've got a cupboard full of OM gear and have just bought the one OM body you swore to yourself you'd never own because it's ridiculously over priced!

flickr

Old 05-04-2012   #2315
plummerl

Quote:
It's funny how this OM thing goes ... you start of with a beater OM-2 because you've read constantly on RFF that these things are god's gift to SLR's and are in fact actually carrying the status of 'honourary rangefinder' at a rangefinder dedicated forum.

Before you know it ... you've got a cupboard full of OM gear and have just bought the one OM body you swore to yourself you'd never own because it's ridiculously over priced!

... and to think I sold you a lens when you had just one camera! I can't remember if I warned you!!

Old 05-04-2012   #2316
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummerl View Post
... and to think I sold you a lens when you had just one camera! I can't remember if I warned you!!

LOL ..... yes and I still have that lens. Not so much of a zooooooom user but always handy to have in the armoury IMO!

flickr

Old 05-05-2012   #2317
ColinW
* Click *

Quote:

Now for the wait!!!!!!

Keith, congrats! You'll enjoy this one. Here's a photo of mine but strangely enough I prefer my OM4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9190095b.jpg (93.7 KB, 29 views)

Old 05-05-2012   #2318
robbeiflex

I'm waiting for an OM2n to arrive in the mail. I tried an EOS5 with my Canon lenses I use for digital, and I just find it too automated and too plastic. However, I did
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 05-05-2012   #2319
robbeiflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbeiflex
I'm waiting for an OM2n to arrive in the mail. I tried an EOS5 with my Canon lenses I use for digital, and I just find it too automated and too plastic. However, I did
...find that there is a place for a film slr in my kit. Time to see why so many here are into the OM's!

Cheers,
Rob

PS: oops, iPhone operator error!
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 05-05-2012   #2320
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Sometime back I asked pretty-please for no mention or images of OM-3. Sigh.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 05-05-2012   #2321
JamesFromSydney
James Morris

Quote:
It's funny how this OM thing goes ...
Haha, so true. I bought an old OM1n, had it serviced, got a 50/1.4 and 28/3.5 for it, and can't imagine using any other SLR now.

I'd probably sell my M2 before this if I had to -- and I love the M2!

Old 05-05-2012   #2322
MRohlfing

I have 4 Nikons (F, F2, F3, F100) and about 20 Nikon lenses and wanted to stick to one SLR system (which I like very much)

But then.... Bought an OM-2N, OM-4 .... 6 Zuiko lenses... Few days ago the 35/2 arrived.... Today I ordered the 50/3.5 Macro....

What is happening to me?

Old 05-05-2012   #2323
sreed2006

You have come to your senses?

My favorite question is "What does this button do?"

Old 05-05-2012   #2324
maitani

Quote:
I understand the differences between the OM1 and the OM2n, particularly the meter display and self timer.

But it strikes me that functionally when an OM3 has a battery to power its meter it is functionally identical to an OM4, save for the self timer.

As svelt as are the OM2 & OM1, the function of the OM4 wins out for me. The meter is still state of the art, something not available on any DSLR. It is one thing to chimp after the fact, quite another thing to sample with a spot meter a few diifferent zones and have a correct average based on what I desire and not an algorithm set at the factory.
yes the om-3 is fully mechanical on all speeds, it lacks the self timer, purist style, it takes the modern batteries, works wonderfully with the series 2- screens, the viefinder although a little smaller than the OM-1/2 is crisper, and with series 2 screens it out of this world. it has the same metering system as the om-4, a pity there were so few made, for me the om-3 (or ti) is the best SRL ever made.

additionally to the om-1 features you get the 1/2000 shutter speed (important in my book, for the great f2 lenses) diopter adjustment is great (miss that sorely on my FM3A) unlike the om-4 it s not an AE body but purely manual but adds exactly the same superb metering system as the OM-4, also the shutteraction is the most pleasent from all OM cameras different than the OM-4, for me the OM3 is what the M6 is to the M system.

Keith, the one on the left is yours, hope this eases the `waiting pain´

should I remove the lenscap?

Old 05-05-2012   #2325
maitani

one of the few combos which get you close to rangefinder size territory, an OM with the 40..