Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

Old 07-29-2012   #126
filmfan

So we all know that the Contax G1+G2 viewfinders are by no means amazing in terms of size and clarity. I did notice that for use with the 21mm lens, there is a separate viewfinder. If I got a 50mm external viewfinder for use with the 45mm lens, would the auto focus point be accurate using it?

Old 07-29-2012   #127
froyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
So we all know that the Contax G1+G2 viewfinders are by no means amazing in terms of size and clarity. I did notice that for use with the 21mm lens, there is a separate viewfinder. If I got a 50mm external viewfinder for use with the 45mm lens, would the auto focus point be accurate using it?
Do you have a VF in mind that has a crosshair or something similar in the middle? or would you just guestimate the AF point?

The biggest negatve I can see is that you would be giving up one of the few "focus confirmation" --I use the term VERY loosely-- of the Contax G: the distance scale in the viefinder. While it's far from being a good focusing tool, you can at least get a sense of whether you are in the neighborhood or not.

Old 07-29-2012   #128
filmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyd View Post
Do you have a VF in mind that has a crosshair or something similar in the middle? or would you just guestimate the AF point?

The biggest negatve I can see is that you would be giving up one of the few "focus confirmation" --I use the term VERY loosely-- of the Contax G: the distance scale in the viefinder. While it's far from being a good focusing tool, you can at least get a sense of whether you are in the neighborhood or not.
Interesting. I was thinking of, like, drawing in a crosshair or center dot on a Voigtlander viewfinder or something along those lines. Whatever maybe it's worth it to try.

Old 07-26-2013   #129
froyd

I did a double take when I saw your handle! Then I noticed the V and the R...

Just Got A Contax G2
Old 09-02-2013   #130
scorpius73

Just Got A Contax G2

I just received a Contax G2 on Thursday in the mail. I have had my G1 for about 6 yrs. I always thought it was great camera but I came close to selling my system 2 months ago. I used the G2 for the first time yesterday. The focus is so much faster. It also seems quieter. I think I will be sticking with the Contax G system a little longer. The VF has never been an issue for me.

Leica M2 & M6 Classic
Leica 50mm f2.8 Elmar-M Jupiter 8 50mm f2.0 Voigtlander 35mm f1.4 Classic
Konica 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2.0, 50mm f2.0, 90mm f2.8
Amadeo Adapter for Nikon S to Leica M Mount
Nikkor 50mm f1.4 Millenium
Contax G1 & G2
Contax 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 45mm f2, 90mm f2.8