This a call for entries for the 2012 Rangefinder Forum FSU Photography Contest (aka 2012 FSU Contest). If you are interested in entering, please read the following.
The purpose of the 2012 FSU Contest is to have some fun and a bit of friendly competition using FSU photography equipment.
Shooting & Uploading Period
The shooting and uploading period starts on the 1st of May and ends on the 30th of June.
- All photos must be taken and uploaded during this period.
- No extensions to the shooting & uploading period.
The spirit of the contest is to use FSU gear, which means both an FSU body and
an FSU lens, and four subject categories are dedicated to this (see below). There is also a special category for entries taken using hybrid equipment - either an FSU lens on any body, or an FSU body using any lens.
- For the four 'pure' FSU categories, all entries must have been taken using BOTH an FSU lens and body.
- For the hybrid category, if using an FSU lens, you are free to use film or digital as the recording medium.
- Equipment that was manufactured after the FSU ceased to exist, but in the geographical areas covered by the FSU, is eligible, with the exception of 'Lomo' type gear - this is not intended to be a 'toy camera' contest.
- The contest is not 35mm rangefinder only - you may use any format, in RFs, SLRs, TLRs, viewfinder cameras, large format, etc.
- Ancillary equipment, such as light meters, filters, tripods, etc, can be from any source - no requirement for them to be FSU.
There is a total of five categories for subject matter. Four are for images shot on equipment comprising both
an FSU body and an FSU lens. The fifth, called 'Popolam' (Russian for 'half-and-half'), is a special category for images shot with hybrid equipment (see above).
The categories are...
- Anything Goes (both FSU lens and body)
- Landscape (both FSU lens and body)
- Portrait (both FSU lens and body)
- Popolam (EITHER FSU lens OR FSU body - any subject matter)
- Street (both FSU lens and body)
- Participants may enter no more than one photograph per category, making a maximum of five possible entries (subject to equipment eligibility).
Separate galleries have been created for each category, under an overall '2012 FSU Contest' heading.
- The galleries for uploading can be found here.
- Uploading can commence as soon as the galleries are ready, but not before the start of the shooting & uploading period.
- No uploads after the end of the shooting & uploading period.
Any RFF member can vote - voting is not restricted to only those that have entered images. Voting on entries to be made active once the shooting & uploading period has ended.
- Voting runs during the month of July.
- Period start/end to be adjusted if gallery closure and voting activation occurs later than the end of the shooting period (ie, voting lasts for 31 days, and hopefully starts on 1st of July).
We have received an offer of some FSU equipment as prizes for the contest. Further offers are welcome. The exact nature of how prizes are to be awarded will be determined once we know what prizes are on offer. This could be for overall placing across all categories, possibly a prize within each category, or maybe some other criteria as yet undetermined.
- How we do the prizes is a bit vague just now.
- The prizes aren't the main reason for doing this - they're the icing on the cake.
- So don't worry about the fact that it's not clear yet!
Good luck to one and all!