Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Zeiss Ikon ZM

Zeiss Ikon ZM This is for the current production Leica M mount Zeiss Ikon camera and lenses.

Griptac + Ikon
Old 04-29-2012   #1
bensyverson

Griptac + Ikon

I don't understand how Cosina and Zeiss let the Ikon leave the factory with such a defective covering material... After walking around with the camera for a week, it was already rubbing smooth.

Here it is with the grip removed. You can actually see the outline of the grip.

The back was beginning to wear away on the right as well:

Luckily the Ikon is very easy to recover. I didn't need to use the "wet" method of application. I decided on Griptac from Cameraleather.com, and Morgan was a pleasure to deal with.

Looks sharp! And it feels quite grippy. Hopefully it'll hold up longer than the factory material!

Old 04-29-2012   #2
huntjump

griptac is going to hold up for a while. I think it looks great on both your cameras.

I have griptac on an m3. It performs really well, though i do prefer the emboss look

-Adam

Old 04-29-2012   #3
kshapero
Tourist

I have had Griptac on my Nikon F for 4 years. Still looks new. nice lens also.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Old 04-29-2012   #4
peter_n
~

Not the prettiest, but by far the grippiest. I've had it on an MP for three years. No wear at all.

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-30-2012   #5
swmlon

Looks good. I've recently bought a second hand ZM and am finding the covering material to be getting very slippery and I've only used it for a couple of weeks (the camera was near mint).
Are there any guides online to how to take off the old covering and applying the new?

Old 04-30-2012   #6
bensyverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmlon View Post
Looks good. I've recently bought a second hand ZM and am finding the covering material to be getting very slippery and I've only used it for a couple of weeks (the camera was near mint).
Are there any guides online to how to take off the old covering and applying the new?
Yeah, check out Cameraleather.com's application guide. I used the dry method and didn't go crazy with tape guides or anything. It's pretty easy!

Removing the old covering is a snapójust get a fingernail or wooden tool under one corner and it will pull off.

Old 04-30-2012   #7
EdwardKaraa

I reverted back to using half cases instead of the side grips after I started noticing a slight hint of wear on the leatherette material. I don't know what Leica uses but it is super durable. Now I am wondering what to do with the side grips

Old 04-30-2012   #8
photony texas
Light Sensitive

I recovered my Zeiss Ikon main working body with Griptac also. Its fantastic, no wear after a lot of use and a nice grippy stick to your finger feel. Very easy to apply, I also cut a custom piece for the accessory grip. The original Zeiss covering wears quickly if you use your camera with any frequency.

Old 07-02-2012   #9
45tim

my ikon is suffering from the same wear and im looking for a new covering/leather now. i think the griptac might be a very good choice but i rather want my camera pitch black. are any of the other offerings by cameraleather sweat/humidity proof like the griptac is?

im worried about the real leather skins to go bad when the camera gets wet.