Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Got into a spot of bother today...
Old 04-29-2012   #1
Austerby

Got into a spot of bother today...

I was attending the Sundance film festival in London today, at the O2/Dome: as it was World Pinhole Day I had my Harman Titan with me. Part of the interior of this massive space is currently vacant and I thought it would make a nice subject for a pinhole photo.

Alas, I was spotted as a clearly suspicious individual by a pair of security guards. As I took a light reading with my iPhone I was approached. They informed me that, as it was private property, I was not allowed to take a photo of the structure of the interior. It was ok for me to photograph friends within the public spaces of the interior, but not the vacant space.

I asked to see the policy but they were unable to oblige. I then asked them if I could photograph the space, rather than the structure.

To my surprise, they were happy with this. So I took my photo (not developed yet - it's not digital, you know).

Incidentally, when I explained I had a pinhole camera, one of the guards said how much she liked these cameras, though she admitted she didn't know what one was. We parted on extremely amicable terms.

So, maybe worth a try: the next time someone stops you from photographing something, explain you're just after the effects of light and shade in the space itself....

Old 04-29-2012   #2
Jack Conrad

That reminds me of the famous adage, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****."

Old 04-29-2012   #3
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Conrad View Post
That reminds me of the famous adage, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull****."
this.

Old 04-29-2012   #4
willie_901

Good for you.

Self-Induced Transparency Photography, FLICKR, Professional Portfolio.

Old 04-29-2012   #5
ssmc

One of the favourite phrases that was bandied around for a while at a job I used to have was "positive use of negative space" - usually accompanied by knowing looks all-round and much arm-waving

As a science major I was unaware that "negative space" actually existed but what do I know compared to someone with a BA in marketing!

Good job getting the shots you wanted, BTW!
Scott

Old 04-30-2012   #6
FrankS

Surely you've heard of anti-matter and dark-matter?