Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

Bill Pierce - Leica M photog and author

“Our autobiography is written in our contact sheets,  and our opinion of the world in our selects”  

"Never ever confuse sharp with good, or you will end up shaving with an ice cream cone and licking a razor blade."  

Bill Pierce is one of the most successful Leica photographers and authors ever. I initially "met" Bill in the wonderful 1973 15th edition Leica Manual (the one with the M5 on the cover). I kept reading and re-reading his four chapters, continually amazed at his knoweldge and ability, thinking "if I only knew a small part of what this guy knows... wow."  I looked foward to his monthly columns in Camera 35 and devoured them like a starving man.  Bill has worked as a photojournalist  for 25 years, keyword: WORK.  Many photogs dream of the professional photographer's  life that Bill has earned and enjoyed.  Probably Bill's most famous pic is Nixon departing the White House for the last time, victory signs still waving. 

Bill  has been published in many major magazines, including  Time, Life, Newsweek, U.S. News, The New York Times Sunday Magazine, New York Magazine, Stern, L'Express and Paris Match.  :His published books include  The Leica Manual,  War Torn, Survivors and Victims in the Late 20th Century, Homeless in America,  Human Rights in China,  Children of War.  Add to that numerous exhibitions at major galleries and museums.  Magazine contributions include  Popular Photography,  Camera 35, Leica Manual,  Photo District News, the Encyclopedia of Brittanica, the Digital Journalist, and now RFF.  Major awards include Leica Medal of Excellence, Overseas Press Club's Oliver Rebbot Award for Best Photojournalism from Abroad,  and the World Press Photo's Budapest Award. Perhaps an ever bigger award is Tom Abrahamsson's comment: "If you want to know Rodinal, ask Bill."

I met Bill in person through our mutual friend Tom Abrahamsson.  In person his insight and comments are every bit as interesting and engaging as his writing.  He is a great guy who really KNOWS photography.  I am happy to say he has generously agreed to host this forum at RFF  From time to time Bill will bring up topics, but you are also invited to ask questions.  Sit down and enjoy the ride!

X-Pro, your thoughts...
Old 04-17-2012   #1
Bill Pierce

X-Pro, your thoughts...

I’ve been using the Fuji X-Pro1, seeing if it was a less expensive alternative to Leica’s digital M’s. In the process, I also spent a lot of time on the Web seeing what other folks thought of the Fuji. Many of the comments were of the “It’s not a Leica!!!” variety. Of course it’s not a Leica; it’s a Fuji. But, those comments in context almost always meant it’s not as good as a Leica.

When I was a little kid, my father came back from Germany with a camera - for me. I have used Leicas for sixty years thanks to that rather early start. They have been my companions in some rather exciting adventures. It would be rather easy for me to dismiss the X-Pro with “It’s not a Leica,” but I found it to be an excellent camera. Hopefully we’ll get to the specific reasons later in this thread, but I don’t want to bias the thread by being an opinion bully. Does anybody out there have experience with the X-Pro and an opinion about it as an alternative to a digital Leica in those areas where the Leica has excelled?

Old 04-17-2012   #2
furcafe

For my verdict on the X-Pro1, I'll quote what I wrote in this thread (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...0&postcount=71):

"I got the X-Pro1 primarily for its high ISO performance & OVF, potentially as a replacement for my D700 (which I had also bought primarily for its high ISO performance, not its AF & other typical pro SLR features) & also as a backup for my M9, so I had relatively high expectations for the sensor & low expectations for the AF & user interface. By those personal measures, the X-Pro1 succeeds. My dream camera (the M10 maybe?) would combine the Leica M optical RF/VF w/a Fuji-quality full-frame sensor, but until that day arrives, having to use both the M9 & X-Pro1 is a 1st World Problem, i.e., not the end of the world."

Not sure if you ever used or tried the Kyocera Contax G1 or G2, but in my experience the X-Pro1 (& X100) work similarly, w/many of the same advantages/disadvantages. In the same way that a G1/G2 might have been a viable alternative to a film M in the '90s-early '00s, I think the X-Pro1 can definitely substitute for an M8/M9 today, w/some bonus features that weren't possible back in the day (e.g., macro & video). Per my response in the other thread, the main selling point for me is the X-Pro1's high ISO performance, which is excellent & makes it a viable replacement for the D700, which was my kludgy substitute for the M9 in dark conditions.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-17-2012   #3
Bill Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by furcafe View Post
For my verdict on the X-Pro1, I'll quote what I wrote in this thread (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...0&postcount=71):

Not sure if you ever used or tried the Kyocera Contax G1 or G2, but in my experience the X-Pro1 (& X100) work similarly, w/many of the same advantages/disadvantages. In the same way that a G1/G2 might have been a viable alternative to a film M in the '90s-early '00s, I think the X-Pro1 can definitely substitute for an M8/M9 today, w/some bonus features that weren't possible back in the day (e.g., macro & video).
I'm not going to blow his cover without his permission, but one of the most famous "Leica Photographers" and a photographer that I think is one of the true greats was using the Contax G series almost since it came out.

Old 04-17-2012   #4
Eric T

I think the X-Pro1 is a game changer. It technologically vastly superior to the Leica M8 or M9 but remains very easy to use. It also has easily accessible manual control. Image quality, low light sensitivity, and dynamic range are amazing. I appreciate the autofocus and it is fast enough for my purposes. I like the hybrid viewfinder and the sensor cleaning.
I have been a Leica fan for years and I still am. But this little Fuji has raised the bar significantly.

Old 04-17-2012   #5
rbelyell

just so i understand the way the OP wants this thread to proceed, when we us the term 'alternative to leica' does that mean how this camera performs with the same legacy and new M mount lenses we would use with our leicas, or is this being defined as an 'alternative system' to leica? for me personally, i am much more interested in the former comparison than the latter...
tony

Old 04-17-2012   #6
furcafe

I'm not surprised, whoever it is. The G system, w/all of its quirks, was certainly a formidable system for those could master it &, to repeat myself, I think the X-Pro1 fills the same niche for those looking for a high-quality, small, non-dSLR, camera. It's not a Leica, but overlaps quite a bit w/the M system.

Personally, I had mostly switched to Leica because I prefer manual RF focusing, especially in low light, but kept my G2 system for sentimental reasons & because the resale value plummeted. Now that I have the X-Pro1, I may start using the G2 more often as a daylight film companion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pierce View Post
I'm not going to blow his cover without his permission, but one of the most famous "Leica Photographers" and a photographer that I think is one of the true greats was using the Contax G series almost since it came out.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.

--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

Old 04-17-2012   #7
Bill Pierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelyell View Post
when we us the term 'alternative to leica' does that mean how this camera performs with the same legacy and new M mount lenses we would use with our leicas, or is this being defined as an 'alternative system' to leica? for me personally, i am much more interested in the former comparison than the latter...
tony
I personally have no experience with my Leica or Leicaflex lenses on the X-Pro. (Still waiting for the adapters. Kind of excited about a camera that can do bright line viewing for my "normal" lenses and TTL viewing with long ones.) Hope other folks can provide that info. In the meantime, I will see if I can get some opinions.

Old 04-17-2012   #8
rbelyell

thanks bill!
tony

Old 04-17-2012   #9
celluloidprop

I'm really enjoying the XPro-1 - I find AF good enough with the 18 and 35 (haven't seen a 60 yet), I think some frustration coming from phase-detect from some folks is that contrast detection has to lock from shot to shot, where phase-detect (if you're pointed at the same spot) has little or no focus lock time.

Without RAW support, though, I can't really think of the images I've taken as being done.

Old 04-17-2012   #10
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Solid performer. I expect to have my writeup done this week. AF performance is not spectacular, but as they say, you only need to run faster than your friend - not the crocodile chasing you both.

I did first encapsulate my thoughts about the role of Leica M in the modern world here.

One thing that I will share in advance is that the X-Pro1, due to its closed-loop autofocus, is very impressive and does what would require floating elements in an M camera. I am still testing this, but the 35mm ASPH Fujinon seems to be right up there with the 35 Summilux ASPH. I think this camera is going to capture quite a few M10 intenders, especially when they see how much an M10 is going to cost.

Dante

Old 04-17-2012   #11
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

If it's not Salgado, it's Elliott Erwitt. He was also spotted a few times with a Hexar RF.

Dante

Quote:

Old 04-17-2012   #12
kbg32
neo-romanticist

If the Fuji is anything like the Contax G series, maybe I'll try one out. I love the Contax G series and still have mine with the 16, 21, 28, 45, and 90 lenses. It was my go to kit for years. It rivaled and surpassed Leica Ms in many, many ways. I am sorry it is no loner produced. There were so many rumours 12 years ago about Contax producing a digital G.

Old 04-17-2012   #13
Bill Pierce

The April 11 entry on this site discusses M lenses on the X-Pro

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/

Old 04-17-2012   #14
JHutchins

So I sold my Contax G2 & lenses and went with Leica M. My Leica M8, however, is being abandoned in favor of the Fuji X Pro. In the film days a body had to keep the film flat, not have light leaks; then be well enough thought out that the photographer never found the camera in the way. An M rangefinder did the latter better for me than a G2. An M rangefinder still does it better for me than the Fuji X Pro 1, but today a camera has to do a lot more than keep film flat and not leak light. The sensor matters -- it matters a lot. That's why the X Pro 1 appeals to me more than the G2 did.

Old 04-17-2012   #15
celluloidprop

re: Erwitt, found this referenced quote from an old Italian magazine a little amusing:
"in my early years I used a Leica M3, then a Leica M6. Later also a Contax G2. Recently I use with pleasure also the Canon EOS especially because of the very useful 28-135 f3.5-5-6 Stabilized (!!). Other lenses: for Leica the Summilux 50mm f1.4 and the Tele-Elmarit 90mm f2.8. For Contax the Sonnar 45mm f2.0 and the Sonnar 90mm f2.8. Film: Kodak Tri-X developed in D-76. This is about my personal work. For the commercial work I use all the job needs (medium and large format, colors film, slides... I have to satisfy my clients)"

The 28-135 kit zoom! Heavens, I thought you needed the new $2300 24-70L II to make decent images!

Old 04-17-2012   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
Does anybody out there have experience with the X-Pro and an opinion about it as an alternative to a digital Leica in those areas where the Leica has excelled?
I use three cameras; The M9, the X100, and the X-Pro1.

I have to admit that the X-Pro1 may not be as elegant as a M9, but for my needs, it is most likely the best fit. I've come to find that I like high ISO, I like AF, and I like that, unlike the X100, the X-Pro1 is M9 sized. It feels right to me and reacts very well on "the streets." I still like the M9 (it is the funnest camera to use and makes me very happy)... and will continue to use it, but I truly think the X-Pro1 will be my main camera (just because it is the best tool for me).

Old 04-17-2012   #17
Speedfreak
-

I am not going to buy a crop factor digital camera. If you are used to using fast lenses on film cameras, digital crop looks like a cartoon version of traditional photography.

Yes, its sharp and clean up to ISO-you-name-it, awesome. I still fail to see what is so great about the Xpro vs any other crop digital camera. Wheres the point? If you care about pictures buy a low end Nikon with a 35/1.8 DX and start shooting. The pictures will be the same.

Sorry this is so long...
Old 04-17-2012   #18
willie_901

Sorry this is so long...

I have never used a Leica product.*

The thing about the XP1 is: it serves the same purpose as the Zeiss Ikon M system I used for about three years. I owned the Biogon 35/2, the C-Sonnar 50/1.5, the CV 28/3.5 and an ancient Nikkor 85/2 lenses. I carried the ZI-M with me daily and used the lenses on several projects. I sold the ZM and all the M lenses a few years ago because I decided Smart Phones would accelerate the demise of film as a practical(for me)daily medium.

I tried a m4/3 system, but never liked the raw files from the smaller sensor. I carried a D200 with small primes for a while, which was too heavy and bulky. I carried it, but I didn't enjoy using it.

Then came the X100. This camera was like my first rangefinder, the Canonet QL17. Suddenly I had a camera that I enjoyed using and could take with me wherever I went. The raw files were better than those from my D300. I used the X100 as I used my ZI-M, i.e. I mostly focused and recomposed. I operated the AF manually ( in both AF-S and MF modes. I find the OVF/EVF turns out to be the best of both worlds. The X100 got the job done. With the 1.21 firmware installed, it felt like I got a new camera.*

I think anybody who knows how to focus a RF body can have the same in-focus percentage with the X100 or XP1. I suggest people can safely ignore at least 80% of the AF complaints at this point in time. Even the fly-by-wire lens barrel focusing is a practical option with both cameras, although the 35/1.4 is much better than the X100. While some are surely more skilled than I, the ZI-M XP1 and X100 produce about the same percentage of in-focus frames for me.

The X-Pro 1 is finally a true replacement for the ZI-M system I reluctantly stopped using. I just ordered the 18/2 lens last weekend. I have no complaints about the XP1 except for the soft plastic lens caps. I switched to use the Nikon HN-3 lens hood and pinch cap with the Fujinon 35/1.4. I ordered a HN-3 clone and a couple of generic pinch caps. The Nikon HN-1 hood will be used with the 18/2. I guess the hoods, pinch caps and diopters cost me about $60.

I plan to carry the XP1 as my daily camera. I assume the XP1 raw files will be at least as good as the X100's once ACR support is released. For some outings I'll carry both lenses. The X100 will see use as well.

I only bought Fuji products because they had the potential to replace the ZI-M and deliver excellent image quality. I would have bought similar products from any other vendor (except one) had they chose to market one. If a better system comes out in a couple of years, I may stop using the Fujies. If alternate systems do not appear (an OVF is important to me) I'll be happy using the Fuji system for some time. I have seen how a 24 X 36 mm sensor makes a difference with my DSLRs. Yet I do not feel the APS-C sensor holds the Fujies back. That is, the lens focal lengths are matched to the sensor. The fast apertures provide useful DOF control. Case closed. For Nikon there really aren't a set of wide primes that cover the DX sensor. Nikon and other DSLR platforms expect their users to be happy with zoom lenses. I do not enjoy using zoom lenses.

Here is the most important thing. I feel the XP1 has liberated me from thinking about how to replace the ZI-M. The search is over and may not need to resume or some time. Now my challenge is to re-direct my efforts at production rather than worrying about consumption. I hope I'll feel the same sort of restlessness about printing, editing projects and displaying photographs.*

williamchuttonjr.com, FLICKR,

Old 04-17-2012   #19
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric T View Post
It technologically vastly superior to the Leica M8 or M9 but remains very easy to use.
Isn't this an overstatement? Also, even if true, Leica has never been about cutting edge technology (well, perhaps the S2 and the fact that they made a full frame mechanical rangefinder digital)...at least not since the 50s. You buy a Leica because it is stripped down and pure, not because you expect cutting edge tech. The only place where the M9 fails is high ISO... THAT IS IT. High ISO is not the be all end all of Photography. Outside of high ISO, it is very much towards the top of the heap.

Old 04-17-2012   #20
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
I am not going to buy a crop factor digital camera. If you are used to using fast lenses on film cameras, digital crop looks like a cartoon version of traditional photography.
Is this more from your preconceived notions or is it from actual use?

Quote:
Yes, its sharp and clean up to ISO-you-name-it, awesome. I still fail to see what is so great about the Xpro vs any other crop digital camera. Wheres the point? If you care about pictures buy a low end Nikon with a 35/1.8 DX and start shooting. The pictures will be the same.
To some, the ergonomics and the OVF are very important. I'm of the opinion that the more comfortable you are with a camera, the better photos that you will make. That said, if you are immune to ergonomics and like DSLRs, than it is hard to make an argument against yours.

Old 04-17-2012   #21
celluloidprop

In using the D7000 last weekend, I was shocked at how small even a good APS SLR viewfinder seemed after using the X100 and XP1 for a week. Not at all unusable, but surprising.

Old 04-17-2012   #22
Frontman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post

As I often shoot medium format and 4x5, I could argue that 35mm and full-frame digital cameras are "crop factor" cameras. When used with it's native lenses, the X-Pro is not a really a crop camera.

Old 04-17-2012   #23
david.elliott

For this forum, I'm sure my usage of the x-pro 1 is out of the ordinary. I love it for macro work. Jpegs look quite good, but I am really eager for adobe raw support.

The evf works quite well for macro work. The camera as a whole does, really. A tilting screen would be nice, but whatever - I've never had a camera with one.

I treat it as primarily a great camera for macro work with secondary loveliness as a backup leica.

Old 04-17-2012   #24
PhotoMat

Yes, it is not a Leica, but it has the features that attracted me to a digital M -- simple, manual controls. After years of using a DSLR in my daily work, I have yearned for a digital platform that would emulate the features of my favorite film cameras -- the Mamiya 7 and the Leica M6TTL. I am really enjoying having an actual shutter speed dial and aperture ring as opposed to spinning a thumbwheel/command dial while looking at an LCD or viewfinder readout. The simplicity is refreshing. I didn't buy the X-P1 because I thought it would be a cheaper version of the M9. I bought it because it could do the same tasks as the M9, with the added benefit of some automation if desired. I see the ability to use M lenses as a bonus. While the jury is still out regarding this ability, (pending more experimentation in a more controlled methodology), I am initially pleased with some shots that I snapped this evening using my Summicron 50 on the Fuji, via a Kipon adapter:

Old 04-17-2012   #25
GaryLH

+1

PhotoMat, I cannot agree more with what you have said here. I bought the x100 and xp1 for exactly the same reason. Using legacy lenses is a plus but at the end of the day I wanted to get back to some basics:
- aperture ring
- shutter speed dial
- exposure compensation dial
- ovf or evf no LCD

I don't take pictures that require fast af. The af on the Fuji cameras is good enough. If none of my legacy lens ever works on the xp1, I am ok with that. The Fuji lenses are more than good enough. In fact I consider the 35f1.4 the equal of my summicrom asph.

Gary

Old 04-17-2012   #26
Nelson Tan

PhotoMat, that is an impressive display of the camera's capabilities! Thanks for sharing.

How would you describe the process of manual focusing a Leica M lens using the Kipon adaptor? Is it snappy and easy to focus via the EVF?

Old 04-18-2012   #27
BobYIL

Quote:
I personally have no experience with my Leica or Leicaflex lenses on the X-Pro. (Still waiting for the adapters. Kind of excited about a camera that can do bright line viewing for my "normal" lenses and TTL viewing with long ones.) Hope other folks can provide that info. In the meantime, I will see if I can get some opinions.
Here are some Leica asph. lenses on the XP1 as well as some Zeiss and V/C:

http://picabroad.com/2012/03/24/fuji...-mount-lenses/

(Remarkable that even the top Leica asphericals could not perform as good as the native Fuji lenses on this sensor..)

Old 04-18-2012   #28
rbelyell

omg bill, those results are horrid! like much of llfe, utility in photography is subjective. i understand and certainly respect those who view the xp1 as a 'system' camera in which they want to invest. as a lover of legacy and manual focus lenses, as an owner of some expensive (for me) pieces of such glass, i dont. for me, there were two coequally imporlamt revoultionary benefits of mirrorless cameras: the potential for dslr image quality in an extremely compact form factor and the ability to mount (and by implication, shoot to their maximum ability) pretty much any lens ever made. to me that meant i could now enjoy the benefits of digital with lenses i loved on film.

certainly, being an x100 owner and lover, i have no doubt as to the incredible IQ that can be obtained by the xp1 'system'. but at least for me, ive invested my emotions, time and money in a lens system, and any new camera i consider must be able to properly utilize 'my' system.
tony

Old 04-18-2012   #29
jsrockit

Sure am glad I didn't buy an adapter for M lenses. I'd rather use M lenses on a camera made for M lenses. The Fuji X lenses are very nice.

Old 04-18-2012   #30
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Not that remarkable when you consider that the Fuji is designed for lenses that direct light in perpendicular to the imager and all of the other lenses were designed for film. Leicas have offset microlenses for a reason.

If you hooked up lenses longer than 50mm, I think you would see something totally different.

We also don't know if the Fuji is correcting edge aberrations automatically with its own lenses. Leicas, for example, correct vignetting and color shifts before th RAW file is written.

That said, as a system, the X-Pro1 and its 35 seem to be very comparable to an M8 with the 35/1.4 ASPH. I think you would really want native wides for this camera.

Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobYIL View Post
Here are some Leica asph. lenses on the XP1 as well as some Zeiss and V/C:

http://picabroad.com/2012/03/24/fuji...-mount-lenses/

(Remarkable that even the top Leica asphericals could not perform as good as the native Fuji lenses on this sensor..)

Old 04-18-2012   #31
BobYIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
Not that remarkable when you consider that the Fuji is designed for lenses that direct light in perpendicular to the imager and all of the other lenses were designed for film. Leicas have offset microlenses for a reason.

If you hooked up lenses longer than 50mm, I think you would see something totally different.

We also don't know if the Fuji is correcting edge aberrations automatically with its own lenses. Leicas, for example, correct vignetting and color shifts before th RAW file is written.

That said, as a system, the X-Pro1 and its 35 seem to be very comparable to an M8 with the 35/1.4 ASPH. I think you would really want native wides for this camera.

Dante
The problems are this side of the 50mm FL; Fuji 35, 23 and 18mm lenses employ rather unconventional designs (as if reverse-retrofocal) with huge rear element diameters to cover the illumination circle rather “directly”; probably to eliminate the need of offset microlenses in addition to the OLPF already measuring 2.5mm thickness (too thick!). These hint that only their native lenses could perform on this sensor optimally and the retrofocals. A deliberate decision IMHO, to be able to sell their own lenses at the first rate to amortize their investment before the introduction of consequtive models (and they are smart enough to know that we would not be pleased to use large retrofocus wide-angles on this body )

As for the native correction programs, these can “correct” distortion, vignetting, even color shift toward corners however against corner smearing –i.e. loss of resolution data- I think only offset microlenses could be a solution or unconventional designs as on the Fujifilm lenses. This is also where the Nex-7 fails..

Old 04-18-2012   #32
rbelyell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobYIL View Post
The problems are this side of the 50mm FL; Fuji 35, 23 and 18mm lenses employ rather unconventional designs (as if reverse-retrofocal) with huge rear element diameters to cover the illumination circle rather “directly”; probably to eliminate the need of offset microlenses in addition to the OLPF already measuring 2.5mm thickness (too thick!). These hint that only their native lenses could perform on this sensor optimally and the retrofocals. A deliberate decision IMHO, to be able to sell their own lenses at the first rate to amortize their investment before the introduction of consequtive models (and they are smart enough to know that we would not be pleased to use large retrofocus wide-angles on this body )

As for the native correction programs, these can “correct” distortion, vignetting, even color shift toward corners however against corner smearing –i.e. loss of resolution data- I think only offset microlenses could be a solution or unconventional designs as on the Fujifilm lenses. This is also where the Nex-7 fails..
yup, ive read this elsewhere. no such problem on m4/3 or gxr or nex 5n. unfortunately for fuji fans who want to shoot legacy glass, we need to be looking there and not at the xp1.
tony

Old 04-18-2012   #33
photografity

Yesterday, I went in a local shop that had a X-Pro1.
I bought my Kipon adapter to try on the 50 summicron & the 28mm MS triplet, the files were awesome !!

Old 04-18-2012   #34
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fizzlesticks View Post
I think digital cameras are getting there, but the X-Pro 1 isn't there yet, at least for what I want a camera for. Some of the technology in it is pretty impressive and makes you wonder why no one has done it before, i.e. the sensor array.
Are you saying this with regard to the X-Pro1 with M lenses or in general?

If the latter, how is it not there yet?

Old 04-18-2012   #35
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by photografity View Post
Yesterday, I went in a local shop that had a X-Pro1.
I bought my Kipon adapter to try on the 28mm MS triplet, the files were awesome !!
Care to share any examples... I would love to see this lens on the camera.

Old 04-20-2012   #36
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

As to preliminary notes, here you are. Please report any typos to the office.

Dante

Old 04-20-2012   #37
Spyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Care to share any examples... I would love to see this lens on the camera.
+1, very eagerly. I tried my CV28/3.5 and the corners are smeared to death. I'm still in search of a pancake 28 for this camera. The triplet as well as the CV would be a perfect lens for it, it makes the camera (jacket) pocketable, it gives the "perfect" fov of 40mm, it has a mechanical ring, focus distance markings and a tab and therefore can be focused by feel, with the magnifier on you can use the whole VF and the coverage looks about right.

Another little tidbit, I remember reading an article (can't remember where) which said that this camera will never be any good with any non-retrofocus wide not built for it, mainly because it has a very thick layer of glass on the sensor for some reason. Didnt pay much attention at the time but I had to clear a smudge on my sensor recently, and I thought the swipe stopped way far from where I could see the sensor was. Dont know, maybe I'm just imagining it. Anyone else noticed it?

Old 04-20-2012   #38
gavinlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
+1, very eagerly. I tried my CV28/3.5 and the corners are smeared to death. I'm still in search of a pancake 28 for this camera. The triplet as well as the CV would be a perfect lens for it, it makes the camera (jacket) pocketable, it gives the "perfect" fov of 40mm, it has a mechanical ring, focus distance markings and a tab and therefore can be focused by feel, with the magnifier on you can use the whole VF and the coverage looks about right.
I'd bet an OM zuiko 28mm f3.5 would be sharp to the corners. They're brilliant optically - mine was quite a bit sharper than any of my canon wide angle zooms, plus they're super cheap and almost pancake-ish.

Old 04-20-2012   #39
Spyro

yeah I have one of those babies, and also a zuiko 24/2.8 which is even better and also tiny, and I'm sure both would work very well. This is not my problem though, I wanted a lens that would make the camera small enough to not require a bag, unfortunately these are SLR lenses and just the adapter would make the camera as deep as an SLR. Also I wanted to focus this blindly, and I prefer a tab for that.

Fuji has promised a pancake 28/2.8, but the roadmap says next year (and unlikely to have mechanical focusing).

There's also the contax G 28/2.8 which is small-ish and can be adapted, but the rear element at infinity goes way too deep for comfort. And I'd have to file down some fins.

Old 04-20-2012   #40
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante_Stella View Post
As to preliminary notes, here you are. Please report any typos to the office.

Dante
Did you sell yours yet?