Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Micro 4/3 Cameras

Micro 4/3 Cameras This forum is for all Micro 4/3 cameras of any camera make.

Old 04-16-2012   #26
intheviewfinder
Rich Beaubien

Charlie Brown & Snoopy, the Seattle night shots are solid, and Johann's shots are wonderful (I especially like the one in color) but honestly the image quality does not look any better than the ground breaking Nikon D90 (2008). So in some ways I'm thinking it's a big improvement for micro 4/3s sensors but still behind the APS-c sensor. I'd expect the 4/3s to catch up pretty soon. Definitely within the next couple of years.

--Rich

Old 04-16-2012   #27
rparmar

Superb images Johann!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheviewfinder View Post
the image quality does not look any better than the ground breaking Nikon D90 (2008).
I am wondering, in all seriousness, what would the images have to look like to impress you? I understand that for many people "good enough" is indeed "good enough" and we hit that point a long while back. But I imagine that such people don't need to look at new camera releases at all.

I should also point out that the Nikon is much bigger and heavier, without weather-sealing, an articulated screen, or any of the advantages of mirrorless. So this seems an odd comparison.

Old 04-16-2012   #28
plummerl

Quote:
Charlie Brown & Snoopy, the Seattle night shots are solid, and Johann's shots are wonderful (I especially like the one in color) but honestly the image quality does not look any better than the ground breaking Nikon D90 (2008). So in some ways I'm thinking it's a big improvement for micro 4/3s sensors but still behind the APS-c sensor. I'd expect the 4/3s to catch up pretty soon. Definitely within the next couple of years.

--Rich
Thanks, I guess. I'm really impressed with the way people can examine a photograph consisting of 1000x750 pixels (from a JPEG) and come up with such a detailed comparison to other cameras.

Old 04-16-2012   #29
rbelyell

people see what they want. imo its almost impossible to judge IQ given the downsizing required here. having said that, larry i,m amazed at a couple of those night shots taken with that SLOW kit zoom. i think theyre pretty damn good considering the lens used. i'd like to see what the d90-or whatever-produces in that light at 6.3!

btw, mine is on its way--wednesday!
tony

Old 04-16-2012   #30
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Image quality is a pointless analysis on the internet. A friend of mine just bought herself a G12 and has been sending me some of her efforts via email ... if she was using my D700 I supect I wouldn't be able to tell the difference! The little (point and shoot) Canon is very good.

How hard is the camera to focus, does the interface suit you, does it actually expose correctly most of the time without blowing highlights? These are the sorts of things that interest me about the OM-D ... not dumb IQ comparisons with other cameras!

flickr

Old 04-16-2012   #31
plummerl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Image quality is a pointless analysis on the internet. A friend of mine just bought herself a G12 and has been sending me some of her efforts via email ... if she was using my D700 I supect I wouldn't be able to tell the difference! The little (point and shoot) Canon is very good.

How hard is the camera to focus, does the interface suit you, does it actually expose correctly most of the time without blowing highlights? These are the sorts of things that interest me about the OM-D ... not dumb IQ comparisons with other cameras!
Hi Keith!

My experience, so far (based on about 60 hours use!), is that the interface is going to take a bit of learning, but not that much. Given the size (ever so smaller than an OM-1), there are fewer buttons on the outside (compared to my E-510). This has been very much helped, by the touch screen back, as well as the one button access to the large info panel for adjusting parameters (not to mention the two top dials and two function buttons that can be re-assigned). I have only tried it by accident, but the touch screen can be used in a point for focus, followed by a shot.

In this morning's shots (before sunrise) I did not change the metering method (used default) and only had to adjust exposure (very easy!) by one or two stops. Focus in every case was perfect (I was using F8 with a tripod). One thing I can say, the grip should be considered an extremely desirable option. So far, I have been using the landscape part of it only. I am so far, extremely impressed with the EM-5.

My E-510 was noticeably larger than an OM, the EM-5 feels more like a return to the OM.

Old 04-16-2012   #32
Rayt

I ran into a friend last week at a camera shop. He had an OM-D w/Pan-Leica 25/1.4 and an X Pro 1 w/ 35/1.4 in his camera bag. I played with both and my first impression was that the X Pro 1 was pretty average at AF while the OM-D was instantaneous and accurate. The X Pro 1 took me back to the 90's when I had my N5005 Nikon with 28-70 plastic zoom. Of the two I would certainly pick the OM-D if AF speeds matters to your photography. And the rear screen is huge and beautiful!

Old 04-16-2012   #33
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Thanks for the input, Ray. I'm thinking of getting the OM-D and its nice to hear how it compares to other new gear.

Nikon 1 V3; D600; Speed Graphic; Polaroid 250

Old 04-16-2012   #34
BTMarcais

Jamie- there was still one left when I left work today...
You'll have to stop in and check it out.
It's a quick little guy, that's for sure!

-Brian

Old 04-16-2012   #35
Ruhayat

If people want the ultimate in image quality, they're looking in the wrong thread. D800 and 5D Mk III are that way >>

My GF1 gives me brilliant image quality that is all I expect out of a digital camera - which I use as backup for my film cameras. But top end image quality is not why I ditched my Canon 5D to get a Leica M6TTL and the GF1. It's all to do with this simple question: what good is the best camera in the world when it's not with you at all times?

My GF1 + pancake 2.8 fits in a belt pouch I wear everywhere, and I hardly notice the weight. Can a D800 do that? Hmm.

Old 04-16-2012   #36
Ruhayat

All of which is to say, SLR Lens testing says the new batch of m4/3 sensors, when combined with the high resolution primes, are now as good as APS-C. That's more than good enough for me.

Old 04-17-2012   #37
gilpen123
Gil

I actually don't find the UI difficult, maybe because I've used the EP2, EP3 and EPL2 before the OMD. A nice addition is that IMO very useful control knobs for aperture and exposure compensation. If you put it in S mode then the wheel can change your speeds as needed.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 04-17-2012   #38
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummerl View Post
Larry,
That is just gorgeous!

Old 04-17-2012   #39
ankaka
-

What lens was used for this?

Old 04-17-2012   #40
BMacW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Most sensible thing I've heard in a long while.

Old 04-17-2012   #41
BMacW

Quote:

--Rich
In your opinion, how does the APS-C sensor stack up against FF sensors? And what about FF against MF digital? ...... Is your current camera ground breaking compare to a MF camera with IQ180 back?

P.S. I obviously don't care about the answer as it is pointless IMO... much like what you've said above.

Old 04-17-2012   #42
gilpen123
Gil

At 1/40 f2.5 ISO 1600 -0.3 panny 20 1.7, this was a quick focus w/o the AF focus assist

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Old 04-17-2012   #43
plummerl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankaka View Post
What lens was used for this?
All the shots that I posted were taken with the Oly 12-50mm. It was raining pretty heavily at times that morning and having the entire set water resistant was somewhat reassuring. At one point, I was dabbing water drops off the front of the lens.

Old 04-26-2012   #44
plummerl

So, here are some examples taken at 6400 ISO, at the Seattle Coldplay concert, last night. These were all with the 12-50mm lens. These are lowly JPEGS converted from RAW, using the Lightroom 4.1RC2. This release candidate contains the RAW converter for the EM-5, but not documented. To say I'm impressed with the capabilities of this camera, is an extreme understatement! The AF under these conditions was extremely quick, with no apparent shutter lag (see shot 5).

Old 04-26-2012   #45
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Be gone, Satan!!

Nikon 1 V3; D600; Speed Graphic; Polaroid 250

Old 04-26-2012   #46
plummerl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Be gone, Satan!!
Surrender!

Old 04-27-2012   #47
shadowfox
Personal Photography

Larry, those are mighty impressive shots.

And I'm not just talking about the camera or the folks on the stage.

Old 04-27-2012   #48
PrecisionCamera
Precision Camera & Video

I can echo that statement! Really great shots sir.

Were those sooc? I see you said that they were converted, but was there any post color or contrast or etc tweaking there?

Old 04-27-2012   #49
plummerl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionCamera View Post
I can echo that statement! Really great shots sir.

Were those sooc? I see you said that they were converted, but was there any post color or contrast or etc tweaking there?
Thanks!

These were straight conversions from the Lightroom 4.1RC2 install that I did last night. Direct import, with a JPEG output, the only tweak was limiting the pixel dimensions to 1000x1000. I'm using AdobeRGB for the camera. The shots were made using spot metering, with typical exposure compensation of -2 stops.

Old 04-29-2012   #50
jpfisher

I've finally almost caught up on processing some recent photos, including those I shot during my week with the E-M5. Here are some of my favorites, all with the 12-50mm lens.

More on my Smugmug...