Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-Pro Series

Old 04-17-2012   #121
Officious Intermeddler
Took the XP1 + 18,35,60 with me on a week long trip. Even with the CA issues and edge distortion, used the 18 MUCH more than the other two. Have no complaints whatsoever. Actually, one complaint: no LR4/Aperture support yet. I'd really like these lenses to be profiled. Yeeesh.

Old 04-17-2012   #122
Time Traveller
Not wanting to write about a camera I don't own, I'm chiming in a bit late - but now I can verify what I am writing. And it's nice to see that the X-Pro1 is continuing the X100's concept with more flexibility and computing power.

The X-Pro1's AF system has been improved over the X100: It's faster and works more consistently - but you still have to understand the way this system works to get the most out of it.

Originally Posted by dct View Post
Fuji should write an article explaining all the details like this user article helping the AF frustrated Contax G users...

Of course, who reads carefully through all these X-Pro1 thread will find similar good information.
Well, Fuji hasn't, but I have written a number of articles about the X100's CDAF system which also apply to the X-Pro1. This should help anyone who wants to use his X-Pro1 under difficult lighting situations.

My take on this camera after three days of use is - the camera's AF system will work down to the same light levels as any phase-detect system, just that it cannot predict and factor in object motion as well as PDAF cameras can. But that's nothing new: Sports are and will remain to be the domain of DSLRs.

But for everything else, this camera offers great IQ, compact build and low weight - which makes it fun to use.
FujiFilm X100, Fuji X-Pro 1, Konica Hexar RF, Hexanon & CV glass & Nikon Coolscan V ... plus a big, bad DSLR

My RFF Gallery, My Flickr, My Ipernity, all presenting different bodies of work

Old 04-19-2012   #123
Bessa Driver
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
The X-Pro1's AF system has been improved over the X100: It's faster and works more consistently - but you still have to understand the way this system works to get the most out of it.
Here here, well said. Having used the X100 since it's release and now using the XPRO1 for a sort time, I have to scratch my head as to what all the noise is about. My X100 worked fairly well from the start, with a few hiccups at first, but now works quite well with the latest firmware updates. The XPRO1, for me, has been just hands down near perfect from the start, including the AF.

Now this may be because my XPRO is brand spanking new, while the experts over at Dpreview where stuck using prototypes in their tests. I hope they get their hands on a latest unit for testing.

I have been shooting in dark bars the last two nights (a consequence of a far too strong love of Ale) and I have been very pleased with the AF performance. Of course you have to know where to focus. The AF assist lamp does not hurt either!

Sorry folks, but so far I couldn't be happier.