Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Coffee With Mentors > Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman

Canon Rangefinders - Peter Dechert and Peter Kitchingman Peter Dechert is best known for his Canon Rangefinder, Canon SLR, and Olympus Pen books, the latter two long out-of-print. He was a monthly columnist for many years for SHUTTERBUG magazine, and has contributed to many others. Most recently he has written about the pre-WW2 Zeiss 35mm cameras, but his interests in camera equipment and optics are many and varied. As a pro protographer and honorary life member of ASMP, Peter is also expert in using the gear! Peter Kitchingman - author of Canon Rangefinder Lens book Peter Kitchingman's 'Canon M39 Rangefinder Lenses 1939-71' book is the definitive source on these very interesting optics. His interests also go to the entire Canon Rangefinder system and beyond.

CANON IV without serial number !
Old 08-29-2008   #1
elgreco

CANON IV without serial number !

Hi Peter,
I just acquired a nice Canon that I assume is a model IV. The interesting thing is that it does not have any serial number on it. I looked closely and it is original, not repainted or anything else.
How is it possible ? Have you ever heard about Canon RF without serial ?
My opinion is that it happened after a repair; the repairman did not had an engraved top-cover under his hand and took a non engraved cover from the spare parts box ? Could it be possible ? Have you ever seen such a camera without serial. It came complete with its collapsible 50mmf1.9, a flash unit that I could not yet identify, leather case and neck-strap. Thanks for the informations. I can post pictures if needed.
ioannis K.

Old 08-29-2008   #2
elgreco

Thanks for reply.
Sorry but my English is very basic : what do you mean by "leftover parts" ?
Thank you. ioannis K.

Old 08-29-2008   #3
elgreco

here are pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg canon4noserial005.jpg (43.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg canon4noserial002.jpg (47.3 KB, 83 views)

Old 08-29-2008   #4
elgreco

Many thanks for the useful information !
I.K.

Old 04-10-2012   #5
Francis0729

It is really my honor to have this opportunity for a interview,I hope i can make a good performance today.

Old 06-27-2012   #6
Spavinaw

I don't know what you read that makes you think you don't have a Canon III. As far as I can tell everything you described is correct for a III except if you get a magnifying glass I think you'll find the shutter speed you listed as 80 is really 60.