Return to Tri-X from Neopan.
Old 04-05-2012   #1
John Bragg

Return to Tri-X from Neopan.

I am very excited as I write this. Sounds childish, but I have just taken delivery of my Tri-X and I am so looking forward to developing some in the near future. its like welcoming back an old and well loved friend. I got sidetracked with Neopan 400 and produced some lovely shots with it, but due to the rising cost I have returned once more to familiar ground. I think I should have a roll shot soon and it will be developed in Rodinal and scanned in short order. I know there are various rumours abounding on here and other sites about the future of Neopan 400 but Tri-X is pretty easy to source and that is the way I have chosen.

Old 04-05-2012   #2
robbeiflex

That's funny, I am in the process of switching from Tri-X back to HP5+ and I feel the same way.
"They say, ‘If you use this digital camera, you can take a clear picture in the dark’. The dark should stay dark. You can’t really see that much, and you don’t really want to see that much anyway.” Nobuyoshi Araki 2006

My Flickr

Old 04-05-2012   #3
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

And I switched from Tri X awhile back to Neopan 400 and never looked back.

Zeiss Ikon Zm, Olympus Trip, Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 04-05-2012   #4
John Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSU View Post
If you're concerned about rising costs then consider using Arista Premium 400 which is rebranded Tri-X.

I get mine from Freestyle Photographic Supplies.
Thats a good suggestion. im not sure if there is a freestyle in the uk though? I will search online. Tri-X is reasonably priced at 7dayshop.com in comparison to Neopan. They just aren't offering the discount on quantity with the green boxed film and that makes it a no brainer for me.

Old 04-05-2012   #5
DNG
Fuji X-E2 / Nikon FE

Been decades since I used Tri-X, I assume the old-school emulsion, not the TMAX. I like Neopan 400, and Delta Pro 400. But, FUN40036 is gretting pricey in some places. I can but it on-line for $4.50 or locally for $7.25 (The local is way out of line, and the sales person says that .."we don't sell film... but we have it for students..." Really... So, let's rape their wallets, is what I see..... No wander they don't sell film.

iPernity

Flickr (Street Photography)

Tumblr

My Feed Back

Fuji X-E2 / XF 18mm f/2 / XF 35mm f/1.4
Nikon FE / 24mm f/2.8 Ais / 50mm f/1.8 Ais
Lr 5.5 / CC14.1.2
Epson V700

Old 04-05-2012   #6
paulfish4570

i much prefer hp5 for its handling characteristics, but since i managed to get some tri-x to lie flat the other day, i'm going with ap 400 (tri-x). the ap 400 is so much less expensive than hp5 ...

Old 04-05-2012   #7
Nigel Meaby

I've just received 50 rolls of Arista Premium 400 from Freestyle and got hit with a bill of £35/$55 for import VAT and handling fees. However it still makes it cheaper than buying Tri-x in the UK by 50p per roll. Works out I've paid around £3.00 per roll.
7 Day shop are charging over £5 a roll now but AG Photographic are doing bricks of 10 for £35.80 http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/tri...-10-1503-p.asp
As far as I can see that's the best deal in the UK now... unless someone know's otherwise

“In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true. “

Old 04-05-2012   #8
Nokton48

I have lots of Tri-X and Neopan Presto 400 in bulk rolls. I still prefer Double-X 5222, and I just bought 800 feet of it yesterday from Kodak (over the phone). It runs $1.94 per 36 exposure roll. But Tri-X is an old friend, no doubt. I interchange Tri-X and Double-X, even develop it together in the same tank.

Some of my older pix: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1813448...n/photostream/
Some of my even older pix: http://hassydan.tripod.com/

"There is nothing worse than a sharp photo of a fuzzy concept" -- W. Eugene Smith

Old 04-05-2012   #9
John Bragg

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Meaby View Post
I've just received 50 rolls of Arista Premium 400 from Freestyle and got hit with a bill of £35/$55 for import VAT and handling fees. However it still makes it cheaper than buying Tri-x in the UK by 50p per roll. Works out I've paid around £3.00 per roll.
7 Day shop are charging over £5 a roll now but AG Photographic are doing bricks of 10 for £35.80 http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/tri...-10-1503-p.asp
As far as I can see that's the best deal in the UK now... unless someone know's otherwise

This is how i bought it from 7dayshop.com at a discount.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=113481

Old 04-05-2012   #10
Colin Corneau
Colin Corneau

If saving money is the key consideration (and that's fair) then make the effort to bulk-load. Here, read this:
http://kenshukan.net/john/archives/2...ing-35mm-film/

Although Arista film is cheap enough to make bulk loading almost not necessary.

It's great you found a film you like and makes you passionate about shooting again...but, 10 different photographers will have 20 different views on which film is best. Never fails

"Viva Film Renaissance"

Old 04-05-2012   #11
Pete B

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
Thats a good suggestion. im not sure if there is a freestyle in the uk though? I will search online. Tri-X is reasonably priced at 7dayshop.com in comparison to Neopan. They just aren't offering the discount on quantity with the green boxed film and that makes it a no brainer for me.
This might be worth a try:
http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...iso-400-135-36

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...lm-iso-400-30m

Watch the delivery charges though.

Pete

Old 04-05-2012   #12
John Bragg

Thanks Pete. I use Firstcall quite a bit. The only problem with ordering from them is the carriage charge. 7dayshop.com is carriage paid.

Old 04-05-2012   #13
Nigel Meaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
This is how i bought it from 7dayshop.com at a discount.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=113481
Ahh yes I missed that. Makes it about the same price as AG Photographic per roll.

If you like bulk loading and want to take a punt on some out of date film then this is a good deal on HP5+ http://www.foto-r3.com/en/ilford-hp5...ros-52010.html

“In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true. “

Old 04-05-2012   #14
zauhar

Quote:
If you're concerned about rising costs then consider using Arista Premium 400 which is rebranded Tri-X.

I get mine from Freestyle Photographic Supplies.
Aha - that explains why the massive dev chart indicates that both Arista Premium and Tri-x are pushable to a mind--boggling ISO 12,800 in Rodinal!

Did anyone every try that? ;-)

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 04-05-2012   #15
JayM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfish4570 View Post
i much prefer hp5 for its handling characteristics, but since i managed to get some tri-x to lie flat the other day, i'm going with ap 400 (tri-x). the ap 400 is so much less expensive than hp5 ...
How!?! Tri-X's arching is a huge reason I started using HP5+ too Well that and faster developing and good 1600 push in Rodinal.

Old 04-05-2012   #16
Nigel Meaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejanus.Aelianus View Post
What! 7 Day Shop aren't selling any Ilford, now. They used to be the cheapest place to get it. Or am I missing something?
No they aren't listing Ilford anymore, you're right!

Old 04-05-2012   #17
John Bragg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Meaby View Post
No they aren't listing Ilford anymore, you're right!
Perhaps Ilford aren't supplying them to keep prices up?

Old 04-05-2012   #18
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

I'm waiting for Arista Premium in 4x5

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 04-05-2012   #19
John Bragg

I think I may also have to try "New" APX 100 in the near future. I have fond memories of this film too. !!

Old 04-05-2012   #20
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNG View Post
Been decades since I used Tri-X, I assume the old-school emulsion, not the TMAX. I like Neopan 400, and Delta Pro 400. But, FUN40036 is gretting pricey in some places. I can but it on-line for $4.50 or locally for $7.25 (The local is way out of line, and the sales person says that .."we don't sell film... but we have it for students..." Really... So, let's rape their wallets, is what I see..... No wander they don't sell film.
Kodak still makes both Tri-X and Tmax 400. They're different films with a different look. Tri-X is grainier but has nicer tonality, though Tmax 400 is quite good too. Tmax 400 was updated a couple yrs ago and is now a lot better tonally and sharpness-wise than the older versions of Tmax 400 were. Tri-X is finer grained now than it used to be but the tonality is about the same as its been for a longtime.

Back home again in Indiana

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Technical Info pages: Film Developing times, scanning, printing, editing.

Like My Work on Facebook

Old 04-05-2012   #21
canetsbe

Quote:
I dry Tri-X reversed on the stainless reel in a forced cool air dryer (Senrac brand). As soon as it is dry I sleeve in plastic sheets, strips of 6. No curl, not even a hint of curl.
Too much work.. HP5 just dries flat no questions