Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Non Rangefinder Cameras > CSC : Digital Compact System Cameras - > Sony NEX / Full Frame Alpha non DSLR Cameras

Sony NEX / Full Frame Alpha non DSLR Cameras Sony does a lot of things well. Naming their cameras so the nomenclature makes sense is not one of them. The NEX series has now become the Alpha NEX series, not to be confused with their Alpha DSLRs. Huh ? IS the person who misnamed the Leica M10 the Leica M240 now working for Sony? The new full frame Alpha 7/7r are incredibly successful. I wonder how long it will take the other manufacturers to make their version of the 7/7r full frame cameras.

Sigma 30mm f/2.8
Old 04-05-2012   #1
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Sigma 30mm f/2.8

I have one of these inbound. They seem to be a very nice quality lens for the price ($200US), from the web samples I've seen sharpness and contrast are improved over the kit lens. Back in the late 80s and the 90s before I got back into Leica, a very common walking around kit for me was one of my meterless Nikon F2 bodies with my 45/2.8GN - I like the FOV of the 45.

Anyone else here have or is getting one of these?

M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M
28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
X100s, NEX-7, N1V1, oodles of filthy Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, some OM gear, an XA, Retinas, a 4x5 and a lonely 500C/M

Old 04-05-2012   #2
jmilkins
Digited User

ooh - interesting - I hadn't seen this, or their 19mm... will be keen to hear what you think of it...

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 04-05-2012   #3
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I'll report back - mine won't be here until sometime next week, probably late. The 30 is getting a lot of positive reviews from users, but the 19 seems like it may not be up to the same standards, at least in the eyes of the committed pixel peepers. I want to see how the 19 does in real life usage before I form an opinion.

I've already started lobbying Sigma for a 60/2.8 in the same DN lens line. I figure a 19/30/60 kit would make a lot of people happy!

This is fun - I'm gathering a small kit of AF lenses for this NEX-7, but also pursuing using some of my legacy glass, too. (I have piles of them!)

28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
X100s, NEX-7, N1V1, oodles of filthy Nikon SLRs and DSLRs, some OM gear, an XA, Retinas, a 4x5 and a lonely 500C/M

Old 04-05-2012   #4
zuikologist

I have had the 30/2.8 for a week and it is driving me mad. Would be interested to hear your views.

The 19/2.8 is too close to the 16/2.8 Sony lens. I would really like a 30/2 pancake, like Samsung NX series

Old 04-05-2012   #5
tomdavis111

Could you be a little more specific about how it's driving you mad?

Old 04-05-2012   #6
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdavis111 View Post
Could you be a little more specific about how it's driving you mad?
+1.000452 (to beat minimum number of characters required to post)

Old 04-05-2012   #7
zuikologist

The lens hunts more than the either the kit lens or 16/2.8 when focusing and has a strange and very strong aperture mechanism that can be felt and heard, especially when switching between viewing images on screen (when the aperture closes down) and back to taking mode whent he aperture opens up. The delay is somewhere around 1 sec. I wonder whether I have a faulty lens or perhaps Sigma have reverse engineered the lens and have not got it quite right.

Old 04-05-2012   #8
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Sounds more like a defective lens - I haven't seen many reports like yours. Sony shared the spec with other makers, no reverse engineering was involved.

Old 04-05-2012   #9
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuikologist View Post
The lens hunts more than the either the kit lens or 16/2.8 when focusing
The kit lens being the 18-55 zoom, I presume? The zoom is stabilized, the 16mm considerably shorter - both are (or at least should be) less vulnerable to camera movement in low light than a unstabilized 30mm. You'd better compare against the Sony macro to make sure the lens is at fault.

Old 04-05-2012   #10
jsrockit

Hmmm, didn't know about this lens at all. Suddenly the Nex-7 is more attractive. Any other non-sony e mount primes?

Old 04-05-2012   #11
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Just the Sigma 19/2.8 released at the same time... so far!

Old 04-05-2012   #12
zuikologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
Sounds more like a defective lens - I haven't seen many reports like yours. Sony shared the spec with other makers, no reverse engineering was involved.
I would be interested in your opinion when your lens arrives Ken. I may be expecting too much or it is defective.

Old 04-05-2012   #13
zuikologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
The kit lens being the 18-55 zoom, I presume? The zoom is stabilized, the 16mm considerably shorter - both are (or at least should be) less vulnerable to camera movement in low light than a unstabilized 30mm. You'd better compare against the Sony macro to make sure the lens is at fault.

Yes, the maligned 18-55, which I think is quite good.

Old 04-05-2012   #14
Paddy C
Unused film collector

Quote:
Anyone else here have or is getting one of these?
It's on the list but I'm not in a rush. I would really like to read a few reviews before I buy one.

Old 04-05-2012   #15
jsrockit

Quote:
Just the Sigma 19/2.8 released at the same time... so far!
Hmmm, interesting... a 28.5mm lens? Are they considered good sigma or bad sigma products?

Old 04-05-2012   #16
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

I wanted to order both the 19 and the 30. The focal lengths are perfect for what I do with AF lenses. The Dutch Sigma site lists them but the major stores do not (yet).

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 04-05-2012   #17
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Hmmm, interesting... a 28.5mm lens? Are they considered good sigma or bad sigma products?
I think the jury is still out on the 19mm. Some people seem to have good examples, but others aren't as happy. I'm waiting for bench testing before I make up my mind - I'm not entirely sure that some of the less favorable results aren't due to bad technique.

Like I mentioned above, if Sigma would release a 60/2.8 to go with the 19 and 30 they'd clean up.

Old 04-06-2012   #18
jsrockit

Quote:

Like I mentioned above, if Sigma would release a 60/2.8 to go with the 19 and 30 they'd clean up.
Kind of similar to Fuji's lineup for the XPro1. Someone's gotta make these lenses for the nex. Such a cool camera let down by sony's lack of good primes.

Old 04-06-2012   #19
mabelsound
actually a dude

I'm considering these lenses for m4/3--same ones, different mount. They are attractively priced and there's plenty of barrel to grab.

FWIW, these are the lenses from the DP1 and DP2. If you like those, you'll like these, optically speaking.

Old 04-06-2012   #20
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

I really am hoping Sigma will continue developing small moderate aperture DN series primes - IMO they're doing it right by making each of these in both m4/3 and NEX mounts. And if they can keep the same "look" across the whole series... yeah, baby.

Old 04-06-2012   #21
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
FWIW, these are the lenses from the DP1 and DP2. If you like those, you'll like these, optically speaking.
Thats interesting. Should be good then.

Old 04-06-2012   #22
bwcolor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
You might want to check over at DPreview NEX forum. Photos, evaluation at various apertures.... central vs. peripheral.. etc. Generally, both the 30mm and 19mm have been well received.

Of course, the 24mm Ziess is first rate. I'm happy with my decision to go with the NEX-7, but my Biogons just didn't do it for me on the wide side. ( Zeiss ZM 35mm f/2.0 best of my selection)

Old 04-06-2012   #23
elmer3.5

thanks for posting, im looking for a lens for my nex camera, i think this 30 2.8 is the same formula as the new sigma dp2 merrilll that would be pretty spectacular!!!

m9 + sonnar zm 50
m3 + rollei sonnar 40
g1 + planar 45

Old 04-06-2012   #24
elmer3.5

great ive looked on flickr, really great!!!

Thats exactly waht ive been looking for!!!!

Im buying one right away!!!

m9 + sonnar zm 50
m3 + rollei sonnar 40
g1 + planar 45

Old 04-06-2012   #25
douglasf13

I received the 19mm today, and, I must say, this little 19mm is getting me pretty excited for the 30mm that I have in the mail, since the 30 is the better of the two lenses. Even this 19mm lens is very sharp in the center at f2.8, and it looks only ok to me at f5.6 in the corners (could be some field curvature.) It's not a razor at the extreme corners, but it's probably usable with some adjustment in LR, and it's likely better at f8.

Here is an infinity shot at f5.6 on the NEX-7 with standard LR4 import settings, except that I activated CA correction. I didn't use a tripod with these, so take them with a grain of salt. Just a quick corner check.

full shot:
[

center crop:

very top right corner: