Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Off Topic

Off Topic Feel like venting or just passing a joke? If so, do it here. Please keep it clean. Minors do visit this site.

What are the gas prices where you are?
Old 02-29-2012   #1
dave lackey

What are the gas prices where you are?

It has been awhile so I thought we might post our gas prices from all over to get a perspective on what's happening out there.

Gas at our cheapest station is:

Regular $3.63
Medium $3.73
Premium $ 3.93

It is much higher at stations along the Interstate and more than $4.30 for premium in Atlanta, just a half hour away.

Dave

Old 02-29-2012   #2
ronnies

About 1.40 a LITRE for diesel here. That's about 5.60 a US Gallon. I'll leave you to work out the exchange rates.

Ronnie

Old 02-29-2012   #3
Roger Hicks

About 1.55 euros/litre. At 3.79 litres/US gallon and $1.33/euro, that's about $7.80 per gallon.

Cheers,

R.

Old 02-29-2012   #4
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
About 1.55 euros/litre. At 3.79 litres/US gallon and $1.33/euro, that's about $7.80 per gallon.

Cheers,

R.
Sure makes that BMW look good, doesn't it? I miss mine.

Dave

Old 02-29-2012   #5
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Getting close to 1.70€/l hereabouts, i.e. something like $8.50 per gallon, for both Super (medium) and Super E10 (10% methanol medium) - regular has been phased out after it wasn't cheaper any more.

Old 02-29-2012   #6
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Sure makes that BMW look good, doesn't it? I miss mine.
Actually, Frances's little Seat is just about identical with the BMW, at around 43-47 mpg imperial. The bike is a little worse if you thrash it hard (38-39 mpg imperial), and a little better if you take it really easy (50+ mpg imperial).

Cheers,

R.

Old 02-29-2012   #7
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Actually, Frances's little Seat is just about identical with the BMW, at around 43-47 mpg imperial. The bike is a little worse if you thrash it hard (38-39 mpg imperial), and a little better if you take it really easy (50+ mpg imperial).

Cheers,

R.
I reckon that a motorcycle is about the best transportation one can get all things considered. And you get to lean in the curves whilst getting to and fro.

My bicycle is a bit limited compared to a two-wheeled, single-track, articulated joint vehicle with a motor and seating for two or more!

Dave

Old 02-29-2012   #8
Spanik

diesel €1.55/l
super €1.77/l

The only thing I'm happy about changing jobs is that now I do 24km/day instead of 115km/day.

Old 03-05-2012   #9
Olsen

Here in Norway 95 octane petrol costs € 2,00/liter (NOK 15,40/liter or 9,95 $ per gallon!). In Finland, which I just have visited, the price varied between € 1,66 - 1,69.

My experience is that 'the lower petrol price in a country, the larger governmental debt this country has'. Go figure.

Old 03-05-2012   #10
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

The lower price of petrol, the more people complain about high fuel prices

My Flickr

Old 03-05-2012   #11
sepiareverb
aflutter.

I don't drive much at all anymore. Last time I filled up the Mini I paid $3.79 a gallon. For all the complaining Americans do about gasoline prices we get off VERY cheap compared to much of the world.

Old 03-05-2012   #12
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
I don't drive much at all anymore. Last time I filled up the Mini I paid $3.79 a gallon. For all the complaining Americans do about gasoline prices we get off VERY cheap compared to much of the world.
Yes, we do. But that said, we drive more than anyone else. In the Atlanta area alone, we travel 90 million miles per DAY...the distance to the sun. The average (by the gov't.) is 15,000/year for each driver. It is a lot more than that in the metropolitan ATL area.

And doubling our gas mileage is not going to help either. When is the last time our teenagers couldn't see "free" miles to be travelled and then never grew up?

I personally, have no problem with gas prices going up but the vast majority of Americans living on fixed incomes, etc. are going to be hurt.

Now back to the OT.

Dave

Old 03-05-2012   #13
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
I don't drive AT ALL!!!

The price of GAS is definitely rising

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-05-2012   #14
Spanik

Quote:
My experience is that 'the lower petrol price in a country, the larger governmental debt this country has'. Go figure.
I fear Belgium doesn't follow your experience. And not in a good way...

Old 03-06-2012   #15
Olsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
I fear Belgium doesn't follow your experience. And not in a good way...

... and your gas price is...?

Old 03-06-2012   #16
Spanik

diesel €1.55/l
super €1.76/l
debt €32400/inhabitant
govenmental debt rising at €507/second

Old 03-06-2012   #17
seakayaker1

. . . . . right now it is running between $ 3.85 and $ 4.15 per gallon.

Old 03-06-2012   #18
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

In SF $4.67 for Premium.

Old 03-06-2012   #19
dave lackey

Well, ours went up another step-up to $3.98-$4.29 for premium in the area south of Atlanta but it is much higher in town. Odd that premium is almost always exactly $.30 more per gallon than regular...

Dave

Old 03-07-2012   #20
Frontman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsen View Post
Here in Norway 95 octane petrol costs € 2,00/liter (NOK 15,40/liter or 9,95 $ per gallon!). In Finland, which I just have visited, the price varied between € 1,66 - 1,69.

Not quite true. Gasoline here in Japan is about $8 per gallon, but Japan's national debt vs GDP is the highest in the industrialized world, being roughly 250%.

America's national debt is lower than nearly every country in Europe, yet the cost of gasoline in America is lower than in any country in Europe. High gas prices do not mean low national debt.

One of the reasons gas has become more expensive is because oil imports to Japan have surged following the earthquake last year. Since then, Japan has not been running it's nuclear power plants since then, so the fossil-fuel plants have been working overtime.

Old 03-11-2012   #21
dave lackey

An insider's viewpoint:

I am now retired from teaching at THE university here in Atlanta. My specialties included urban and regional planning, real estate development courses, environmental studies and urban economics. In the days before Katrina, a memorable discussion ensued about the price of gas and conservation.

We, the class and I, researched and concluded that gas at $3-$4/gal in the U.S. was going to be the norm for awhile. Conservation would not really become a major issue for Americans unless gas doubled in cost overnight. And even then, only a minor decrease in gas usage would be expected because of several unique factors, including attitude in general, infrastructure, demographics, local laws and policies concerning land use, and geographical locations of current housing and employment centers.

7 years later, I stick to the same conclusion with a modification.

Yesterday, after weeks of being stuck at home while taking care of medical issues, my wife and I ventured to Warm Springs, Ga., and the Little White House made famous by former president FDR. The amount of traffic travelling at speeds of 80-95 mph was astounding. HUGE SUVs, pickup trucks and all getting upwards of 10mpg. Foolish Americans. Caravans of recreational vehicles and million dollar RV buses. Extravagant Americans.

The modification is this:
1. Americans will not significantly change their driving habits until gas reaches $8.00/gal or more. (IMO, we Americans think it is our god-given right to drive whatever, whenever, as much and as fast as we want as long as we have a credit card in our pocket that has not been maxed out. Quite arrogant, actually, in my opinion, and please note that I stated "we" as I am part of the problem.)
2. Introducing cars that get double the present-day gas mileage will only allow drivers to "justify" in their foolish minds that they can drive like they do now and even more because the car now gets 35mpg.
3. Any savings in gas conservation (by any means) will disappear with the increasing amount of new drivers added to the roads everyday.
4. Peak oil production will occur soon if not already. Then prices will rise.
5. Average speeds being driven will increase gradually until a significant disaster occurs either nationally or to a national figure at which time, the safety police will suddenly appear with new laws and regulations aimed at protecting drivers, not cutting gasoline consumption.
6. The politicians today are using the "high gas prices" as a tool because as they say, "the high gas prices are hurting Americans, they are suffering". Pure BS in my opinion.

This is 2012. As in any forecast/prediction, etc. it will be wrong. Which way will be determined in the coming future. I await the outcome.

Dave

Old 03-11-2012   #22
Mark A. Fisher

In the St. Louis area it's around $3.79 for regular, right at $4+ for premium. And I agree with Dave Lackey's assessment. I'd love to get back to riding a motorcycle - BMW, perhaps - but knee surgery from a few years back still makes my shifting leg cranky, so I've resisted getting one for now. But gas prices definitely impact how I approach photography now - a lot fewer road trips to out-of-the-way places, which used to be a daily occurrence.

Old 03-11-2012   #23
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark A. Fisher View Post
In the St. Louis area it's around $3.79 for regular, right at $4+ for premium. And I agree with Dave Lackey's assessment. I'd love to get back to riding a motorcycle - BMW, perhaps - but knee surgery from a few years back still makes my shifting leg cranky, so I've resisted getting one for now. But gas prices definitely impact how I approach photography now - a lot fewer road trips to out-of-the-way places, which used to be a daily occurrence.
Oh, do I miss my K1200LT!

Sorry about the knee...maybe it will eventually get good enough to ride again?

Dave

Old 03-11-2012   #24
dave lackey

Ah, yes... In our part of the world, we call it the Pogo viewpoint..."We have met the enemy and he is us".

From Wikipedia:

The scary thing about it is that there is a good chance that it is too late for this country to do much about infrastructure (mass transit, alternatives) and growth patterns. It is a supremely complex problem yet so few people understand that if we all drove 50mpg vehicles in this country, we would have really achieved very little. We would just drive twice as much!

Fewer still, understand the complexity of solutions and the time and commitment it will take for a real energy policy.

So, bring on the $5/gal gas, it isn't so bad. Just adds $32 to my overall transportation cost to Pensacola to meet with RFF friends! See? I really am part of the problem.

Thanks for the link, Jon!

Dave

Old 03-12-2012   #25
kanzlr
Hexaneur

€ 1.479 / litre Super95

Diesel?
Old 03-12-2012   #26
john341
camera user

Diesel?

What else? In Australia, 1.59 cents pro litre, BUT a litre goes a long way with gaz

Old 03-14-2012   #27
Olsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
diesel €1.55/l
super €1.76/l
debt €32400/inhabitant
governmental debt rising at €507/second

Which confirms my statement. Your petrol prices are all too low. € 1,55/litre is all too low compared to those nations with tidy economy. Belgian petrol prices are even lower than Finland and Sweden.

That's why you have a governmental debt slightly less than 100% of GDP (Which is hefty!). It is that simple. Increase petrol prices by € 0,20/litre and the Belgian governmental budget would go in balance, you Belgians would have to use the bicycle more often (get healthier) - and use the cars less (poor Germans...). This will lead to less wear and tear on your road system and even less pollution, - just as a bonus. After all: We are talking of or Belgium. Not the wast plains of the Mid West. How long time will it take to bicycle from one end of Belgium to the other..?

Old 03-17-2012   #28
Spanik

Quote:
After all: We are talking of or Belgium. Not the wast plains of the Mid West. How long time will it take to bicycle from one end of Belgium to the other..?
Me? A couple of days. There is a slight peculiarity about Belgium and its workforce. While in (AFAIK) every other country people move closer to their work when it get a bit too much, here we stay where we have build our home and go to work whatever the price to get there. So even while it is a small country you do have a lot of people that have a 1h commute or worse. There are people that travel half the country to get to work, not just for a short period but for years on end.

Quote:
That's why you have a governmental debt slightly less than 100% of GDP (Which is hefty!).
I fear that has far more to do with incompetent politicians than the price of gas.

Old 03-25-2012   #29
camperbc

Here, on our remote little island, a one hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland, we are paying a whopping $1.50 per litre, ($6.83 per Canadian gallon!) which must make our fuel about the most expensive in all of Canada. We do, however, make up for it by having some of the lowest income taxes, insurance premiums, home prices and electricity rates in the country.

One does not worry too much about the price of fuel here, when an oceanfront home can still be purchased for less than $50,000.

Glen

Old 03-31-2012   #30
Olsen

The classical recipe for high public debt is 'low taxes'. Researchers have also found a relation between 'low alcohol prices' and 'huge public debt'.

The moral is: There is no free lunch.

Old 04-02-2012   #31
camperbc

Gas has hit $1.53 per litre here this week. I'm contemplating buying a horse and buggy!

Glen

Old 04-05-2012   #32
Vickko

$1.35 per liter. Canada.

35mm (film and digital)
Film only for 6x6cm, 6x9cm & 4x5in
BW darkroom to 4x5in

Old 04-05-2012   #33
Spanik

Quote:
I'm contemplating buying a horse and buggy!
What's the price of oats?

Old 05-03-2012   #34
David Hughes

A milestone last week; filled the car and it was pennies short of seventy five quid. Gasp!

Regards, David

Old 05-09-2012   #35
johnasjade
-

Don't Know My Father brought The Gas...
I am in America...

Old 05-10-2012   #36
btgc

In fact, since I sold my old car last autumn, I'm not in rush buying another. So far I've been fine with a bus, taxi and car sharing (paying car owner for fuel and extra for wear/maintenance). I believe three families of 3-5 members can be good with just two cars. Just lower a bit your level of comfort

Old 05-13-2012   #37
FlyingLotus
Photography

In NV, its $3.82 per gallon.

'Black and White are the colors of photography. To me they symbolize the alternatives of hope and despair to which mankind is forever subjected'

-Robert Frank

Old 06-11-2012   #38
Olsen

Could there be a corelation between national debt and how good a nation is in football? Then a nation with low petrol prices will also be good in football. Or?

Old 06-11-2012   #39
a_aguila

Hello! new to the forum here

gas prices here in Manitoba is
regular: $1.21/ltr
diesel: $1.17/ltr

Old 06-12-2012   #40
karlori
Digital Refugee

Regular unleaded : 1.70$ per liter
Diesel : 1,60$ per liter

Don't remember when I filled it completely ...