Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > 35mm Film Range Finders > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

Old 04-01-2012   #26
RFluhver

OMG!

I saw one of these black ones for just 31,500 yen yesterday. It is roughly US$380! Good price right?

Somebody please tell me to snap out of it and convince me not to grab this thing. But it is a real beauty!!

Old 04-01-2012   #27
Frontman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFluhver View Post
OMG!

I saw one of these black ones for just 31,500 yen yesterday. It is roughly US$380! Good price right?

Somebody please tell me to snap out of it and convince me not to grab this thing. But it is a real beauty!!
I sell these from time to time, I usually get $400 for them. 31500 yen is not bad if the camera is clean, and is working properly.

Old 04-02-2012   #28
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

$380? $400? Nah, too much.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 04-02-2012   #29
Frontman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
$380? $400? Nah, too much.
I have sold 5 black SP cameras this year. The last one I listed on eBay was priced at $400, and it sold in an hour. I have no doubt that people would pay as much ad $500 for one.

Old 04-02-2012   #30
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

Took mine out the other day. One heck of a lens! Took a couple of pics of some buildings across the street and enlarged them in PS. Enlarged you can read the time on a clock and can see the sharp courses of brick.

Zeiss Ikon Zm, Olympus Trip, Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 04-02-2012   #31
Retrotech68

Frontman is right about current prices for the black version of the SP. A friend paid $360 for a mint, fully working one a couple of months ago and considered the price "fair" (compared to the $450/$500 average that seems to have become the norm).

As for the hood, I have been using a straight-walled, 49mm Kenko on my SP without problems (a vintage piece made in the early 70s, I think; still, there are modern equivalent hoods available on the big international auction site for a fraction of the original, oft overpriced hard rubber version).

Old 04-02-2012   #32
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

My bad ... I forgot this was in reference to a black SP.

However, I wouldn't spend that much on an SP, even a black sample. I love the 35 SP (I have three,) but I'm a user, not a collector. A black 35 SP in EXC or better shape would be a collector item to me, and I'm not a collector.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 04-03-2012   #33
Retrotech68

I am a user too. With something of a collector (but I tend to use all my cameras, sometimes just out of curiosity)...
The friend I mentioned is more of an hybrid. I am always amazed at how pristine his cameras always look, even when he uses one or other quite often... That's because (I guess...) he's of the careful type, but then he also owns many cameras and tends to rotate them.

What are you all waiting for....
Old 04-03-2012   #34
kuzano

What are you all waiting for....

The rarest of the Olympus 35SPn models is the trim difference UC model. The seller on eBay, fotofila has one listed for some time now for only $349. All his info is correct and his feedback is quite good. I have purchased from him before and been pleased with the business.

He appears to be correct in his description of this unique camera, as a few years ago, I hunted the internet for one. I tracked one to SA and lost track of it there on a sale by a camera vendor.

I hope no one is going to let this camera languish until I can no longer resist. I am, frankly selling most of my camera gear so I can afford my new implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) later this month. (Please don't bother to look for any great deals on my camera stuff. The cardiologist is not cutting me a break on the purchase of the device, nor the implantation process. I was disheartened today [another ultrasound] that there is NO DIY kit for self implantation.)

So anyway, if this camera lingers much longer, I will be it's new proud owner (after covering expenses of the device and procedure).

Here is the link.... it looks to be a real jewel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-35-U...item1e6837f5f6

Old 04-03-2012   #35
agi

Wow the UC cost that much? Maybe I should use mine more often....

Not surprising to me at all...
Old 04-03-2012   #36
kuzano

Not surprising to me at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by agi View Post
Wow the UC cost that much? Maybe I should use mine more often....
After all, the UC is a 35SPn with a slightly different dress, and limited production at that. If the SP and SPn models are selling for $400 to $500 for prime examples, the UC in prime condition should bring more.

Since you have a UC... don't give it away.

Old 06-02-2012   #37
RFluhver

Well, nobody bought that camera I spotted a couple of months ago. So today, I went and grabbed it myself.

What a beauty this thing is. VF is incredible. The feel is smooth.

Old 07-23-2012   #38
Romanski

hy folks!
i'm new in this forum and happy that i have found a place full of knowledge about older cameras.
i live in switzerland and a few days ago i also bought a black SP wich seems to be in a very good condition. i still have to wait a few days, before i will hold it in my hands....
when i was a child, my mum used to take pictures with a 35 RC. some time ago she gave it to me, instead of throwing it away..! after that i began to read about this camera on the web and was surprised about the comments. unfortunately aperture and the light meter didn't work any more - so i had to send it to a serviceman. first i had to get one as a spare parts donor. all that cost me a lot of money, but anyway - for sentimental reasons i did it. now i am a happy ownder of a correct working and good looking RC with lenshood and uv-filter; all original olympus parts.
usually i am taking pictures with my nikon d7000, p7000 and aw100. years ago i began to shoot with an minolta weathermatic, an olympus is3000 (wich i still own) and a lomo. but i am also fascinated about this machanical cameras with viewfinder. so i'm looking forward to some new experiences with this two beauties.
conclusively here my first question in this forum: of course i am looking for a lens hood for my black SP. does anyone know, where to buy a usable copy, not too expensive? thanks for your answers!
greets romanski

35 Uc
Old 07-24-2012   #39
dtcls100

35 Uc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
After all, the UC is a 35SPn with a slightly different dress, and limited production at that. If the SP and SPn models are selling for $400 to $500 for prime examples, the UC in prime condition should bring more.
I shouldn't be reading this website. Because of you guys, I just purchased a working Olympus 35 UC, said to be and appearing to be in good condition, on the auction website for $255. Hopefully didn't overpay too much. Seller has an excellent (100%) rating and answered my inquiries promptly, so hopefully it will turn out OK. Don't really need it (as I have a good condition working 35 SP), but couldn't resist after reading this thread.

Old 07-24-2012   #40
David Hughes

Hi Romanski,

Welcome aboard. You're among friends here, 'though we are jealous of your find.

Regards, David

Old 07-26-2012   #41
-Nash-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanski View Post
...i am looking for a lens hood for my black SP...
The filter ring on a SP is the same as the OM Zuiko 50mm 1.8 lens - so you could pick up a cheap hood for that lens and use it on your SP.

How rare is the 35SP now days?
I picked up a junk condition SP. There is no battery compartment cover so I can't test the light meter (i'm guessing it needs checking anyway), no spot meter button and some play on the shutter\aperture rings.
The lens is mint though, and it works fine in manual mode. Rangefinder patch is a bit faded.

Would it be worth getting the camera rebuilt? Or should I just hunt down a better example?

Old 07-26-2012   #42
Tejasican

Crazy Fedya has an SP in the classifieds right now. Far safer than the auction roulette. I was considering getting it myself but came across a Leicaflex in town this morning that was too good to pass up.

Old 07-27-2012   #43
Frontman

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nash- View Post
The filter ring on a SP is the same as the OM Zuiko 50mm 1.8 lens - so you could pick up a cheap hood for that lens and use it on your SP.

How rare is the 35SP now days?
I picked up a junk condition SP. There is no battery compartment cover so I can't test the light meter (i'm guessing it needs checking anyway), no spot meter button and some play on the shutter\aperture rings.
The lens is mint though, and it works fine in manual mode. Rangefinder patch is a bit faded.

Would it be worth getting the camera rebuilt? Or should I just hunt down a better example?
Most of the Olympus rangefinders use the same battery cover, one from a DC, RC, LC, RD, or UC will fit. The meters usually work in these cameras so long as the wires aren't corroded. You can use a handheld meter and use the EV value on the meter, it will match the EV scale on the lens. The top cover can be easily removed, and cleaning out the viewfinder glass should brighten up the rangefinder patch.