Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

My new Olympus 35 SP ;)
Old 01-29-2012   #1
Compaq

My new Olympus 35 SP ;)

Got it a few days ago. This camera has soul. I hear the spring being loaded, hear ticking sounds from within. And this rangefinder is legendary. I can't wait to get out on the street and capture the small moments in life!

Pictures taken with a 450D with Vivitar 2500 bounce flash.

Front by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

ASA dial by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Back by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Front 2 by Anders Myhre Brakestad, on Flickr

Regards,
Anders

Old 01-29-2012   #2
FrankS

They are beautiful camera's, especially in black. Congrats and enjoy!

photography makes me happy

Old 01-29-2012   #3
jesse1dog
Gone Senile

Lucky to have what looks like a good case, although I prefer the heft of mine without.

jesse

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LX7 - Lumix GF1 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 01-29-2012   #4
Avispartner

Great pictures of a great camera. Hope to have one soon, too!
What case is that?
Cheers from Switzerland.
Rob

Old 01-29-2012   #5
FrankS

Andres' camera's case is the original manufacturer's case, the bottom half.
Wish I had one for mine.

photography makes me happy

Old 01-30-2012   #6
Compaq

I can't say whether the case is original, you'll have to trust FrankS

Btw, I've seen cases with "Olympus 35 SP" on the top half of the case, but mine just says "Olympus"...Is there a major difference?

Oh, and a question: how would I go about getting a lens hood for this camera? I'd like one for sunny days, but I'm not sure what type or actual size I need. The lens takes a 49mm screw mount, but how big should the actual hood be? I don't want to block too much of the viewfinder... :P Would this work?
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-...ns-hood/p12121

But it would be nice to have an Olympus branded one!

Old 01-30-2012   #7
Frontman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq View Post

Btw, I've seen cases with "Olympus 35 SP" on the top half of the case, but mine just says "Olympus"...Is there a major difference?

Oh, and a question: how would I go about getting a lens hood for this camera? I'd like one for sunny days, but I'm not sure what type or actual size I need. The lens takes a 49mm screw mount, but how big should the actual hood be? I don't want to block too much of the viewfinder... :P Would this work?

The original hood is a 49mm plastic screw-in hood which says "Olympus" on the inside. These hoods are rather scarce. The chrome plated clamp-on hood which fits the Olympus RD or DC will fit, but reflections off the chrome can affect meter readings on the SP.

The original SP case does say "Olympus SP", but cases from the Olympus 35, UC, and LC are the same design, and fit the SP perfectly.

Old 01-30-2012   #8
Frontman

Quote:

The eBay hood looks too wide, and will probably block the viewfinder. Here is a pic of one of my SP's with an original hood.

Old 01-30-2012   #9
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

I use either a Vivitar hood with 49mm thread size hood, or an OM hood, either the metal or rubber slip-ons. I'm pretty sure the case is original.

I don't have a black SP, so I hate you.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55 and adapted Zuikos
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 01-31-2012   #10
David Hughes

Hi,

Welcome aboard; you certainly know how to make an entrance!

BTW, original hoods in boxes are easy to find , if you have deep pockets. OTOH, there's plenty of nice vented 49mm ones on ebay from our friends in China.

Regards, David

Old 01-31-2012   #11
Bill58
Native Texan

I use a straight-walled, 49mm B+W brand hood on mine w/o any problems.

Old 01-31-2012   #12
Compaq

I'm too not too worried about getting an original hood for this. I certainly wouldn't mind, but I won't pay big bucks for it...yet :P I'll check ebay for something that seems nice.

And thanks all, you've made my beginning here quite enjoyable. You've helped me a lot!

I have yet another question about the 35 SP: should I adjust the shutter before or after advancing the film? If I do before, I hear ticking sounds from the camera. Those do not appear when adjusting after film advancement. It's going to be tedious having to advance the film before taking a shot - I'd like to walk the streets with the camera "loaded", ready for firing!

edit: Bill58, something like this, perhaps?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-W-49mm-Scr...ht_2423wt_1270

The UC model is on Ebay at this time...
Old 01-31-2012   #13
kuzano

The UC model is on Ebay at this time...

The final model and hardest to find of the Olympus 35SP is the UC model. Identical except for front trim around the rangefinder window, this is an SP, but it is identified at the Olympus 35UC. Last 35sp model made and apparently not in great numbers.

Have only seen a half dozen over the last decade. Tracked one in South America for a while.

Currently on eBay by the user fotofila. he specializes in hard to find rangefinders and exceptionally clean models. He very often has Yashica CC and CCN models, along with some large format lenses.

I'd love to have it but right now I'm thinning the herd, not adding to it.

Old 01-31-2012   #14
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post

I'd love to have it but right now I'm thinning the herd, not adding to it.
What??!!!!

Sacrilege I say!!!!!

Old 01-31-2012   #15
oftheherd

Compaq - That is a nice looking SP. I have a non-black one, but it still takes fine photos. You are going to like that no doubt. Look forward to seeing photos from it. I am not at home so I can't check about noises. I hope that isn't a sign of a problem for you.

Old 01-31-2012   #16
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

That is the original case (bottom half) as it matches the one I have...Mine is just stamped with "Olympus"...
I'm using a Pentax lens cap and an Olympus hood...look here
This is the hood I have but only paid $5 for it at a local Pawn Shop...
It works just fine with just a little interference in the viewfinder.
pf

Old 01-31-2012   #17
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon_sam View Post
That is the original case (bottom half) as it matches the one I have...Mine is just stamped with "Olympus"...
I'm using a Pentax lens cap and an Olympus hood...look here
This is the hood I have but only paid $5 for it at a local Pawn Shop...
It works just fine with just a little interference in the viewfinder.
Hi,

That looks like the chrome/posh version of the OM hood for the standard lens. There's a cheaper black and rubber version around. They often appear on ebay but there's also a lot of vented ones from China that work well with CRF's. Just search on 49mm, vented and hood in photography...

Regards, David

Old 01-31-2012   #18
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

That looks like the chrome/posh version of the OM hood for the standard lens. There's a cheaper black and rubber version around. They often appear on ebay but there's also a lot of vented ones from China that work well with CRF's. Just search on 49mm, vented and hood in photography...

Regards, David

I have one of the rubber Olympus hoods but its a bit wider than the metal one so that one is on my Tak 50mm 1.4.
Both hoods are mark for use on the 35mm 2.8 but the metal one is a bit narrower...and looks real cool...
pf

Old 01-31-2012   #19
Compaq

I just paid 9 bucks for some 49mm vented hood on eBay. Not sure how long it'll take for it to get here, but I'm looking forward to it!

For a collector the UC should be very attractive!

Is there a way to "track" the exact production year for Olympus rangefinders? The internet says the 35SP was produced from 69 to 73-75, but is it possible to get a more accurate age?

Old 01-31-2012   #20
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

I agree that the metal hood for 35/2.8 - 40/2 - 50/1.8 - 50/1.4 is extremely attractive. I have an eBay search for them.

Old 02-01-2012   #21
David Hughes

Quote:
... Is there a way to "track" the exact production year for Olympus rangefinders? The internet says the 35SP was produced from 69 to 73-75, but is it possible to get a more accurate age?
Hi,

Somewhere on the www there's an article about dating the Olympus Trip 35's by taking off the pressure plate and decoding some letters and/or figures. So a search might find it and then it might just apply to all their cameras. I'll wish you luck.

Regards, David

Old 02-04-2012   #22
David Hughes

Hi (again),

An article / paragraph or two on flickr about dating Olympus cameras:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/olympus...57594537718351

Regards, David

Old 02-04-2012   #23
Compaq

Thanks! I've looked at these sites. I've just put a new film in the camera, so I can't check. However, I've talked to an Olympus enthusiast that says the 35SP can't be dated the same way as the Trip 35.

Old 02-28-2012   #24
Zorkiiglaza

put some film in it and start shooting!

Its a great little camera!

Old 03-10-2012   #25
Compaq

I've developed 4 films, but not with perfect results, hehe. It's a pleasure to use the camera, and I can't wait for my darkroom skills to get better. Great camera, works pretty much flawlessly!

Old 04-01-2012   #26
RFluhver

OMG!

I saw one of these black ones for just 31,500 yen yesterday. It is roughly US$380! Good price right?

Somebody please tell me to snap out of it and convince me not to grab this thing. But it is a real beauty!!

Old 04-02-2012   #27
Frontman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFluhver View Post
OMG!

I saw one of these black ones for just 31,500 yen yesterday. It is roughly US$380! Good price right?

Somebody please tell me to snap out of it and convince me not to grab this thing. But it is a real beauty!!
I sell these from time to time, I usually get $400 for them. 31500 yen is not bad if the camera is clean, and is working properly.

Old 04-02-2012   #28
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

$380? $400? Nah, too much.

Old 04-02-2012   #29
Frontman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trius View Post
$380? $400? Nah, too much.
I have sold 5 black SP cameras this year. The last one I listed on eBay was priced at $400, and it sold in an hour. I have no doubt that people would pay as much ad $500 for one.

Old 04-02-2012   #30
whitecat
Lone Range(find)er

Took mine out the other day. One heck of a lens! Took a couple of pics of some buildings across the street and enlarged them in PS. Enlarged you can read the time on a clock and can see the sharp courses of brick.

Zeiss Ikon Zm, Olympus Trip, Rolleiflex FX, Yashica Electro 35, Nikon 35 TI, Nikon 28 TI, Widelux F7, Contax TVS III, Zeiss Ikon 35, Minox, Olympus 35 EE3, Konica AA 35, Minox 35 GT, Canonet QL17, and many more....

Old 04-02-2012   #31
Retrotech68

Frontman is right about current prices for the black version of the SP. A friend paid $360 for a mint, fully working one a couple of months ago and considered the price "fair" (compared to the $450/$500 average that seems to have become the norm).

As for the hood, I have been using a straight-walled, 49mm Kenko on my SP without problems (a vintage piece made in the early 70s, I think; still, there are modern equivalent hoods available on the big international auction site for a fraction of the original, oft overpriced hard rubber version).

Old 04-02-2012   #32
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

My bad ... I forgot this was in reference to a black SP.

However, I wouldn't spend that much on an SP, even a black sample. I love the 35 SP (I have three,) but I'm a user, not a collector. A black 35 SP in EXC or better shape would be a collector item to me, and I'm not a collector.

Old 04-03-2012   #33
Retrotech68

I am a user too. With something of a collector (but I tend to use all my cameras, sometimes just out of curiosity)...
The friend I mentioned is more of an hybrid. I am always amazed at how pristine his cameras always look, even when he uses one or other quite often... That's because (I guess...) he's of the careful type, but then he also owns many cameras and tends to rotate them.

What are you all waiting for....
Old 04-03-2012   #34
kuzano

What are you all waiting for....

The rarest of the Olympus 35SPn models is the trim difference UC model. The seller on eBay, fotofila has one listed for some time now for only $349. All his info is correct and his feedback is quite good. I have purchased from him before and been pleased with the business.

He appears to be correct in his description of this unique camera, as a few years ago, I hunted the internet for one. I tracked one to SA and lost track of it there on a sale by a camera vendor.

I hope no one is going to let this camera languish until I can no longer resist. I am, frankly selling most of my camera gear so I can afford my new implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) later this month. (Please don't bother to look for any great deals on my camera stuff. The cardiologist is not cutting me a break on the purchase of the device, nor the implantation process. I was disheartened today [another ultrasound] that there is NO DIY kit for self implantation.)

So anyway, if this camera lingers much longer, I will be it's new proud owner (after covering expenses of the device and procedure).

Here is the link.... it looks to be a real jewel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-35-U...item1e6837f5f6

Old 04-03-2012   #35
agi

Wow the UC cost that much? Maybe I should use mine more often....

Not surprising to me at all...
Old 04-03-2012   #36
kuzano

Not surprising to me at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by agi View Post
Wow the UC cost that much? Maybe I should use mine more often....
After all, the UC is a 35SPn with a slightly different dress, and limited production at that. If the SP and SPn models are selling for $400 to $500 for prime examples, the UC in prime condition should bring more.

Since you have a UC... don't give it away.

Old 06-02-2012   #37
RFluhver

Well, nobody bought that camera I spotted a couple of months ago. So today, I went and grabbed it myself.

What a beauty this thing is. VF is incredible. The feel is smooth.

Old 07-23-2012   #38
Romanski

hy folks!
i'm new in this forum and happy that i have found a place full of knowledge about older cameras.
i live in switzerland and a few days ago i also bought a black SP wich seems to be in a very good condition. i still have to wait a few days, before i will hold it in my hands....
when i was a child, my mum used to take pictures with a 35 RC. some time ago she gave it to me, instead of throwing it away..! after that i began to read about this camera on the web and was surprised about the comments. unfortunately aperture and the light meter didn't work any more - so i had to send it to a serviceman. first i had to get one as a spare parts donor. all that cost me a lot of money, but anyway - for sentimental reasons i did it. now i am a happy ownder of a correct working and good looking RC with lenshood and uv-filter; all original olympus parts.
usually i am taking pictures with my nikon d7000, p7000 and aw100. years ago i began to shoot with an minolta weathermatic, an olympus is3000 (wich i still own) and a lomo. but i am also fascinated about this machanical cameras with viewfinder. so i'm looking forward to some new experiences with this two beauties.
conclusively here my first question in this forum: of course i am looking for a lens hood for my black SP. does anyone know, where to buy a usable copy, not too expensive? thanks for your answers!
greets romanski

35 Uc
Old 07-24-2012   #39
dtcls100

35 Uc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
After all, the UC is a 35SPn with a slightly different dress, and limited production at that. If the SP and SPn models are selling for $400 to $500 for prime examples, the UC in prime condition should bring more.
I shouldn't be reading this website. Because of you guys, I just purchased a working Olympus 35 UC, said to be and appearing to be in good condition, on the auction website for $255. Hopefully didn't overpay too much. Seller has an excellent (100%) rating and answered my inquiries promptly, so hopefully it will turn out OK. Don't really need it (as I have a good condition working 35 SP), but couldn't resist after reading this thread.

Old 07-24-2012   #40
David Hughes

Hi Romanski,

Welcome aboard. You're among friends here, 'though we are jealous of your find.

Regards, David