Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Coffee With Mentors > Tom Abrahamsson of RapidWinder.com

Tom Abrahamsson of RapidWinder.com It is almost never that an inventor improves on a Leica product so that it is better than the original Leica product. Tom holds that distinction with his RapidWinder for Leica M rangefinders -- a bottom mounting baseplate trigger advance. In addition Tom manufacturers other Leica accessories such as his very popular Soft Release and MiniSoftRelease shutter releases. Tom is well known as one of the true Leica rangefinder experts, even by Leica. IMPORTANT READ THIS: CWE Forum hosts have moderation powers within their forum. Please observe copyright laws by not copying and posting their material elsewhere without permission.

Old 02-27-2012   #51
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyriljay View Post
Well, I too prefer to carry mine around my neck whatever it look like to the others.

.......whereas the Old Masters of Photography still like to do as I and although It seems not very practical and dangerous do with several cameras at the same time.

The hard way and the funny way of how <<William Klein>> working with several Leica in Paris.

Attachment 89829

Ah...just getting warm weather now and been on a few 5-mile walks with the SLR or the IIIF or even one of the Nikons. T-shirts are a pain with no collars as the strap rubs the back of the neck. Here is where the bandolier style works best but I can't find a strap quite long enough.... hope i can before really hot weather or it's back to a wrist strap and/or shoulder carry for me.

But then, I wear polo shirts a lot and the collar saves the day for regular neck carry.

Dave

Like this Idea
Old 02-27-2012   #52
randolph45

Like this Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsinto View Post
For a number of years now I have been promoting the idea of velcro strips on camera straps and matching strips on photo vest or jacket epaulettes, as a slip-proof method of keeping a camera strap from slipping off a shoulder, and at the same time, keeping my hands free.
I've carried a motor-driven F2 with a 300 2.8 lens and mono pod (weighing about ten pounds) this way with no slippage problem at all. And if the camera is worn backwards, the lens rides across the back or buttocks and is protected from being bumped as one walks.
Gotta give that velcro a try on my vest

Disgraceful
Old 03-07-2012   #53
seajak

Smile Disgraceful

Dave,

Have a look at the Crumpler Popular Disgrace. The neck pad is covered with a silky smooth synthetic fabric which is really comfortable against the skin. It is also long enough (just) to wear across the chest. I wear T-shirts most of the time and this has become my favourite strap.

cheers,
clay

Old 03-07-2012   #54
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajak View Post
Dave,

Have a look at the Crumpler Popular Disgrace. The neck pad is covered with a silky smooth synthetic fabric which is really comfortable against the skin. It is also long enough (just) to wear across the chest. I wear T-shirts most of the time and this has become my favourite strap.

cheers,
clay
Hi, Clay...just checked it! I like Crumpler products...a lot.

Have you got a measurement on your strap, end to end?

Dave

Old 03-07-2012   #55
seajak

Hi Dave,

Mine is around 108cm at the moment. However, I have the free end doubled back inside the the loop below the buckle so you should be able to get another 8 cm or so out of it.

cheers,
clay

Old 03-07-2012   #56
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajak View Post
Hi Dave,

Mine is around 108cm at the moment. However, I have the free end doubled back inside the the loop below the buckle so you should be able to get another 8 cm or so out of it.

cheers,
clay
Thanks, Clay. Will measure my straps tomorrow and see how they compare!

Dave

Old 03-07-2012   #57
n5jrn

For me, it depends. If inspiration is generally not striking me to take photos, the camera stays in the bag. If it mostly is, the camera is around my neck with lens cap on and lens collapsed (unless using it, hopefully!). If it really is, the lens stays extended and the cap stays off (and I stay careful).

around my neck
Old 03-15-2012   #58
daveleo
beat up Domke kind of guy

around my neck

I carry the small Panasonic LX3 around my neck all the time.
I carry the larger Nikon DSLR in a bag across shoulders (camera has a wrist strap).

Years ago my Hexar flipped off my shoulder and was inches away from hitting the street when I caught it. Never again carry a loose camera off one shoulder.

http://www.cafephotos.net

Every "solution" generates two new problems.
Every "answer" generates two new questions.

Old 03-16-2012   #59
Archiver

If I am wearing a camera, it is either around my neck or bandolier style. If I am walking briskly I either put it in bandolier mode or hold it in my hand. Otherwise it is in my bag. I hardly ever have a camera hanging off a shoulder, it seems so precarious there!

Old 03-16-2012   #60
unixrevolution

I have long straps on all my cameras so I can carry them bandolier style. As cited above, I hate carrying around my neck not only because it's uncomfortable for me, but because it keeps swinging around like a wildly-flailing fragile wrecking ball, and as I walk it bumps against my belly going, "you're fat...you're fat...you're fat..."

The bandolier style is more my speed, but for dual weilding I'll probably eventually go with a RapidStrap double rapid:

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/dr1/

For all my other camera strap needs, I go with American-Made straps from OP/TECH USA. Good quality and good prices, and very comfy.

http://optechusa.com/

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 03-16-2012   #61
dave lackey

Erik, that is too funny!

I am using an Op-Tech on the R4 and just this week on the M3. I love the way it hooks to the rings on the cameras, easy to put on and take off without taking the split rings off. The strap falls down and out of the way as soon as I bring it up to shooting position and the wide strap is very comfortable on the back of the neck.

Come summer, I will most likely go back to a thin strap as the heat in this part of the world is oppressive and sweat is a factor too.

Dave

Old 03-16-2012   #62
mathomas

Just for fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4HjmI9Zi4k

(this is my video, so be gentle)

Old 03-16-2012   #63
charjohncarter

People think I'm a dork with or without a camera. So I wear mine around my neck, besides it give me hands for meters, filters, cable releases and flash equipment. Now that is really dorky.

Old 03-16-2012   #64
burancap

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
People think I'm a dork with or without a camera. So I wear mine around my neck
Likewise on both counts...

After coming this >< close to dropping an M slung over my shoulder -always around the neck, now!

Old 03-16-2012   #65
mathomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by burancap View Post
Likewise on both counts...

After coming this >< close to dropping an M slung over my shoulder -always around the neck, now!
I just really hate the feeling of all the weight hanging off my neck. And wearing it on a shoulder makes no sense to me. It can never come off your shoulder if you wear it across your chest, and the weight is also off your neck.

That's how I see it, anyway.

And yes, I look like a dork no matter what . It's function that I'm after.

Old 03-16-2012   #66
jippiejee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
(this is my video, so be gentle)
In gentle voice... psst... second 'right-->>' example: maybe take off the lens cap?
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 03-16-2012   #67
burancap

Quote:
That's how I see it, anyway.
Your are correct, so I will try to clarify my previous post (also, after watching your vid).

1.) Neck (classic style): When I am actively shooting. Though, I may lengthen my strap(s) and try your bandolier style at all times.

2.) Neck/shoulder (bandolier style): When the camera is dormant, too heavy, or in particular - when I am carrying two cameras. Again, the dormant one tucked out of the way with the active one around my neck. A quick arm switch and I am good (with no chance of a drop).

3.) Shoulder (purse style): Never! Well, at least not again.

OK... I just put way too much thought into this post... I think that the bottom line is that the neck simply HAS to be involved.

Old 03-16-2012   #68
mathomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippiejee View Post
In gentle voice... psst... second 'right-->>' example: maybe take off the lens cap?
Hehe, yes. Of course, this was just a demonstration. Don't try it on the street!

Old 03-28-2012   #69
unixrevolution

Quote:
Hehe, yes. Of course, this was just a demonstration. Don't try it on the street!
But you save so much money in printing costs that way...

"I decided to stop collecting cameras and become a photographer."

Old 03-30-2012   #70
menos

I never carry cameras around my neck - I hate the swing and bumping cameras into stuff that way.

I also wear on all cameras the exact same length, modified Leica quick release strap.

I always shoot with two or three bodies and never got the hang of short/ long wearing straps, to stack cameras on my chest - always messy for me.

So, I have mostly one camera over a shoulder, ready, to be picked up, one camera in my hand, I am shooting with and a third or just other stuff in a shoulder bag, which is sized, to easily take three M bodies and lenses.

While shooting, I change the bag and shouldered camera a lot from one shoulder to the other, cross wearing it in tight or highly movable environment (or in the cold, as it provides additional heat insulation).

My neck is only temporary camera holder, when changing film/ batteries/ lenses.

Old 03-31-2012   #71
Erik van Straten

I never take more than one body and one lens. The camera hangs around my neck with an old Leitz leather neckstrap made as short as possible. The lenscap is secured by a small strap wich is connected to the clip of the neckstrap.

Erik.

Old 03-31-2012   #72
menos

Erik, I think, one can see this in your photographs - really simplistic and concentrated to the fact - I like that, but could never do this.

It is funny, as friends poke me about me always needing some warm up time, when going out and shooting.
I always spend about 1h of changing lenses and cameras, playing around until I have my two bodies and lenses for the day locked.
This needs me, to take more lenses and cameras with me in a shoulder bag, than I would need to use, but it strangely is the only way, that works for me, as I found.

Old 03-31-2012   #73
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

Long time ago when I made a living shooting press stuff. I always carried two cameras around my neck - one short strapped, usually with a 35 and one "long" strapped underneath the first one. The long strap one was almost always a 21. Unfortunately, if you had to jump around a bit, it usually resulted in "pogo" stick movement. Bottom camera moving upwards, meeting top camera coming down - and exit a 21 finder (or even a top plate on occasion).
Nowadays, I usually carry just one camera around my neck, a second in the bag - or in a largish pocket of the vest. I am also considerably older and move slower. Less defunct finders and top-plate this way.
I like having a strap attached to me! Once I was shooting something and I had decided to just hold one M2 in my hand and shoot, decided to switch cameras and just let go of it! I did expect the camera to just fall to the end of the strap - it didn't - it hit the floor with a rather loud crash. Cured me from the "hand hold" only idea!

Old 04-16-2012   #74
Sustich

Neck for my RFs.

If I'm somewhere without my full sizers, I always wear a D-Lux 3 on a lanyard around my neck; it's ready for the quick draw, and hangs the red dot close to my heart. (Hopefully not a target).

Old 07-23-2012   #75
Nick

As a matter of care I *have* to have my RF's around my neck. The alternative would be off my shoulder, with the most expensive part (the lens) most exposed to be knocked against other people or objects.

Particularly in busy Hong Kong, I'm terrified that my glass will be damaged, so I always have it around my neck where it's busy (aka, everywhere).